• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I’m thinking about selling my boat / getting out of boating

I know what you mean @Ronnie Part of me wants to sell our boat too. But my 3 kids (now all in college), still look forward to our summer lake trips. So for now, we’re keeping her. Good luck with your decision.
I can always rent a boat whenever I want, it’s expensive but if I’m only doing it two or three times a year or would only be $2k or so per year. For context I spend $700 a year on insurance and another $300 on luxury taxes.

this has me thinking that I could make the boat available for rent through a broker. If I don’t have to tow it or show it anywhere and insurance covers all damage and liability I think I’m at the point of ownership where I can comfortably rent it out.

as for exploring new water, I can do that a lot easier with the waverunners.

I can definitely vouch for the waverunners being easier to deal with. Trailering our boat got old, especially with how many more boats there are at the ramp the last 15 or so months. The marina makes it a whole better experience. I can definitely understand the thought to sell with the kids being not involved for the time being. Now is the time to do it for sure if that is the decision.

Ronnie, I hear you regarding towing and ramps and the associated drama. I would not have bought my Yamaha if I had to deal with any of that. I keep my Yamaha in a boatel during the season. They put it in the water and take it out when i return, I clean it up then they put it back in the stack. It’s a beautiful thing. As far as having a boat to truly weekend on or more. If it’s doable I highly recommend it. I just had a great weekend which involved using both of my boats. My Formula is in a different marina just five minutes from my Yamaha marina. I have a great setup for sure. You may really enjoy having the option of spending a weekend or an entire week on your boat with a full galley, full head, shower, multiple AC units, tv’s, etc. It certainly doesn’t suck.

Regardless, if you keep your current boat or get a different boat ditch the whole trailering ordeal. Get a slip, boatel, or a lift. It’s worth it.

I totally understand the trailering hassle! I went thru that the first year I had a boat (1997). Got tired of it so I bought a house on the lake with a boathouse.... problem solved :cool:

Here is a new twist on this. My brother wants to buy into the boat, store it at my house and be able to use it whenever I’m not. Alternatively he wants to buy it outright with out cousin. I don’t know what to think so right now I will just enjoy the boat for the trips I have planned in July. Including one with my extended family this Sunday.

Take some time and chew on it. Business deals with family or friends can always be dicey. Don't want to permanently make holiday dinners messy or have people never talking to each other ever again over a boat. Simply not worth it in the end...

Well...... I love my family, but my feelings for my boat run much greater! Family member asked to borrow it, couldn't sleep for two nights so I said no. :(

Yeah I feel the same way, when I told them I said I would not sell it to them ( friends or family ) and I im planning to charge what the post Covid market will bear.

When faced with this type of a situation (or the request for a loan, etc.), I usually ask myself: am I willing to be ok with this if they sank it (or didn't pay it back, etc.)? In other words, am I good with just gifting them this (boat, money, car, etc.)? And if it comes back, I am ahead and if it doesn't that is absolutely fine with it?

If yes, I do it on that basis (even if they don't know it). If no, I usually don't.

LOL, I thought about the same thing. I am over insured and could definitely be made whole and upgrade the boat.... With my luck, it would come back with enough stuff wrong that I would have to fix it myself and then be annoyed. I have done my share of getting stuck this year in a compartment and having the fiberglass tear up my arms and chest.

Towing is the WORST. You need to slip your stuff. Congrats on university, where’s the lad attending? Exciting times.

It would depend on what type of brother you have! Is he super handy, anal retentive amazing at fixing things? Or two left thumbs and thinks he's amazing? Or lazy and notices nothing, does nothing etc.

Id share a boat with my brother knowing he wouldn't fix anything himself, but also wouldn't balk at paying to get it done right.

Heck....there are people on here I'd share my boat with!!! @Sotally Tober do you have the urge to have a 2nd boat with a rockin stereo????? LOL

If my boat wasn’t in my yard I would never use it. Sounds like the hassles of having to tow really take the fun out of it. I feel like you would have the fun feeling back if you got rid of the towing and storing part of boating.

Here is a new twist on this. My brother wants to buy into the boat, store it at my house and be able to use it whenever I’m not. Alternatively he wants to buy it outright with out cousin. I don’t know what to think so right now I will just enjoy the boat for the trips I have planned in July. Including one with my extended family this Sunday.
Noooooo….don’t sell to family or friends. You’ll lose those family or friends if you do. Set your price at what the covid market prices are and sell to a complete stranger.

The only person I would let borrow my boat would be my brother. He would be more nervous about messing something up than I would and he would fill the tank when he brought it back.

Anyone can borrow my waverunner. Nobody can borrow moms. And NEVER the boat. But we trust son 2 to take the boat out anytime.

But wave runners are so dangerous especially if you are old and on Medicare and social security. Plus you can't tow people behind them in tubes or play around spraying the trees. or drive standing on the seat
so totally boring

Last edited:
First boat I was going to buy fell through because the seller had not made up their mind and discussed with the family who had a lot of memories with it since he was the first owner of it. Day before I was to go pick it up got the call "Sorry, not selling because...." Took me a couple more months to find the one I have now and a 12 hour one way drive to get it! :) My wife and I love our boat and who knows how long we'll keep it. But when it's time to hang it up, it's time. We rented several times when we trying to figure out what kind of boat we wanted. There is a lot less work all the way around when you just have to hand the keys back to who you rented it from vs. all the work that goes into a boat overall. Not that I don't enjoy making it my own and adding something new or safer to the mix! I hope you find the right answer for your situation. No matter your choice for selling now or later, there are a ton of great memories you get to keep that IMO are some of the best!

Back