• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I bought cheap knockoff clean out port repair kits!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I decided to try out some Chinese knock off clean out port repair kits for $18.99 each on Amazon. OEM ones are usually around $80. I figured I could send them back if they didn't work.

Manhole Cover Repair Clean Out... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3R74H4Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought these because the price was so low I had to see if there was anything good about them. The OEM ones are $79.95 vs $18.99 for these.

I was a little worried when the boxes arrived because the rubber skirts were jammed in there and folded over. I took them out and let them reshape back to their normal shape.

When I went to install them, the skirt fit but the plastic lower part did not line up exactly with the OEM upper plug. I might have been able to force it, but I've always wondered why they give you the new lower halfs (it is my assumption it's because many people leave them in so long that they have to drill out the lower halves!).

So the skirts fit fine. I need to test them more on the water, but so far so good.

So if you only need the skirts, this seems like a way to save $60 per plug. I will update as time goes on.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided to try out some Chinese knock off clean out port repair kits for $18.99 each on Amazon. OEM ones are usually around $80. I figured I could send them back if they didn't work.

Manhole Cover Repair Clean Out... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3R74H4Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought these because the price was so low I had to see if there was anything good about them. The OEM ones are $79.95 vs $18.99 for these.

I was a little worried when the boxes arrived because the rubber skirts were jammed in there and folded over. I took them out and let them reshape back to their normal shape.

When I went to install them, the skirt fit but the plastic lower part did not line up exactly with the OEM upper plug. I might have been able to force it, but I've always wondered why they give you the new lower halfs (it is my assumption it's because many people leave them in so long that they have to drill out the lower halves!).

So the skirts fit fine. I need to test them more on the water, but so far so good.

So if you only need the skirts, this seems like a way to save $60 per plug. I will update as time goes on.
I wonder if they throw the plastic lower sections in in case there's any damage from gravel or rocks?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if they throw the plastic lower sections in in case there's any damage from gravel or rocks?
I honestly think its because many dealers just drill out the lower portions when they are stuck vs trying to pry them out.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly think its because many dealers just drill out the lower portions when they are stuck vs trying to pry them out.
With the pics and threads that have been popping up with these new plugs and how folks are managing to get them stuck, I think you may have a good theory there.