• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I joined the rock club yesterday ?

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the family out on Lake Michigan for the Air Show yesterday. The water was super cloudy but I had to pick up a late arrival and decided try a pick up at a beach. Bad idea… While going in at idol speed I hit a rock and another one or two trying to get back out to deeper water.

I already reached out to a repair shop. I’m not too worried as it can be fixed. But my ego can’t. I feel like someone took a big’ol Cleveland Steamer on it.

A312AC01-E090-451D-847E-631E97666AB7.jpeg
50CAF8F2-7EE8-4876-96A9-104495B51E4B.jpeg
27A714B4-75A6-4A5F-9E44-1811B7DCBAF2.jpeg

When you get it fixed, put a good keel guard on it. Helps alot on the rocky areas and beaching in the Great Lakes.

Update: I got the damage repaired. I damaged the boat on a Sunday, found a shop that to fix it on Friday and picked it up on Tuesday. The repairs only told 4 days (including Sunday) and I only lost one boating weekend. The repair came out pretty darn good. If I climb under the boat, put my face 6 inches away and turn my head from side to side I can an occasional sand mark. Also, you can see that the keel isn’t exactly straight now (2nd photo). You can see where they didn’t sand it down totally perfect and there’s a little ‘bubble’ where the repair is a tad bit fatter. But that’s me being overly anal. The color match did come out flawless. Its totally spot on.

Cost of repair: $800

I only post an update because it might help others for what to expect if they need a repair. Not only time of repair but cost. This was my first ever fiberglass repair so I didn’t know what to expect. Heck, I would have paid $3,000+..

1815C14A-9CCD-4D5E-B803-05EAB8C2D8BF.jpeg
B9BF0E06-FB89-47FE-BC64-9D4D357F833A.jpeg

When you get it fixed, put a good keel guard on it. Helps alot on the rocky areas and beaching in the Great Lakes.

I’m definitely looking into a keel guard. Any idea if they make color matched ones? I really don’t want to do ugly black.

They make all different colors. Just get one that is close to what you want. I don't know of any that are color matched.

I have a black one

Last edited:
The keel guard will help with a lot of things but you can still get damage, especially if you hit rocks like that again.. It will be less damage but it can still happen, don't ask how.

Looks like a good repair to me. Hard to pinpoint any imperfections even knowing they are there. Nice price, too.

Cleveland - I’m in Germantown. Can I ask who you went to? The repair looks great. I have a lighter 6” scratch on mine, above the water line, and am looking to take it in At the end of the season.

Thanks,

Dallas

Cleveland - I’m in Germantown. Can I ask who you went to? The repair looks great. I have a lighter 6” scratch on mine, above the water line, and am looking to take it in At the end of the season.

Thanks,

Dallas

Like, just a scuff, lighter? Likely sounds like a bad scuff, but none of the pink/red showing through? Shoot some pics and show us.

I see you've already done some work with the Spectrum paste, we may be able to get you back to where you want to be, depending on how those pics look, that you'll be getting for us.

SFT daughter: Dad are you sure you want to keep going up the river? It looks like there’s rocks.
SFT: The random dude in the parking lot said we were clear to go all the way up to the aqueduct.
Boat: Crunch
SFT: Oops
SFT daughter: This is like the time you hit that buoy in the sailboat

Keelguard did the job; no damage other than to my ego and parental infallibility

Keel Guard FTW!

Back