• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I stole this but help when I sucked up a crappt trap

Nice instructional video....thanks for the link

They did not apply grease or anti seize when reassembling. Getting the right products in there was a big concern for me when I reinstalled my jets earlier this year.

That is a very clear and concise video on pump removal...and it is the fastest way to get something out of the pump that you can't clear easily through the clean out tubes. But at least try to reach from under the boat while on the trailer, through the intake and see if you can get whatever it is loose. If it is a stick, like in the video, you will more than likely end up removing the pump. Although many have reported that when an intrusive stick like that dries out, that it will then fall out, but that could take days...pump removal only takes a novice a half hour or less, and most of that time is rounding up the tools and self encouragement!

They didn't apply gasket maker to the pump faces either Bruce, and the manual calls for that too. I don't know about a Yamaha shop, but I am guessing many shops would just open and close without any of that...it ain't their boat! lol

@ragerg40@gmail. com glad to have you on board and that was a good video,
update your profile with your location so we know where your at,

That video was from a nearby dealership (Stokley's Marine) in Nicholasville, Kentucky. We visited them while shopping for our boat as they are a Yamaha dealership, and the closest one.
Thanks for the video, I honestly didn't realize taking the pumps/impellers out was that minor of a task. I anticipated a lot more headache to it than that and it being a much more complicated process. I wouldn't hesitate at all to do this after seeing the video.

Good video. Thanks for posting it. It should be a sticky. Pump removal and replacement is easy. Anyone who hasn't done it should have their fears eased by watching this video.

I'd have to say, that wouldn't stop a day on the water.

@Steelerville thanks for sharing the video. I am now going to add to the tool bag that I carry on the boat the necessary tools to perform this task so if it happens to me it won't end my boating day to soon.

In all the years I've owned the boat I've managed to suck up some interesting debris along with the occasional tow line, but I've never had to resort to disassembling the pump. I guess I've been either lucky or just too damn stubborn. It just seems to me that doing it this way is like removing your teeth to clean between them instead of flossing.

Now, I'm sure that I've just jinxed myself and at some point I'll be pulling the pump apart to clear it! :confused:

Add a pry bar with a wide tip to your toolbox as well. It was necessary to remove the probably not removed since built in 2007 jets from my boat. There are tabs to pry on built into the housing.

In all the years I've owned the boat I've managed to suck up some interesting debris along with the occasional tow line, but I've never had to resort to disassembling the pump. I guess I've been either lucky or just too damn stubborn. It just seems to me that doing it this way is like removing your teeth to clean between them instead of flossing.

Now, I'm sure that I've just jinxed myself and at some point I'll be pulling the pump apart to clear it! :confused:
Just another one of those deals @Glassman just like a clean out plug blowout. They aren't all created equal, and while it looks like your luck is running good, it may just be a difference in boating environment or boating habits. Only once have I sucked up driftwood that didn't clear quickly and easily. I was too new to resort to removing the pump at that point, but I was on my way to doing so. I had to tap pretty deep inside the impeller liner on a twig really, that was pinched between the liner and the impeller, just like in that video, I used a long screwdriver as a chisel and was able to reach both sides of the impeller from the intake grate. I got it out, but I bet I spent 2 hours on my back and worried I would scratch the impeller or the liner. I think at least 1.5 hours could have been reserved for better activities had I seen this video prior to that! Never a bad thing to add to your bag of tricks...even if you never have to use them!

I know these guys, bought my boat from them. That is Ralph narrating the video, he's the owner. Great guy, great place, very helpful and friendly.

Big thing that bothered me was the way he cranked down on the bolts when reassembling the housing. Should use a torque wrench when tightening an aluminum housing. Stripped too many aluminum bits in the past.

Back