• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think I BLEW IT......... IDIOT !!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It separated the rubber from the housing I learned never grease those as there is no place for them to vent I now have 500 hours on both of mine and no problems yet just leaving the things alone. You will need that one replaced.
TYVM....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That issue exists on all kinds of Yamahas. Everyone should check it.
The SX and AR 19' boats do not have an anchor locker drain that goes thru the bow/hull. Every other Yamaha boat does though including the FSH. On the SX and AR 19',boats our anchor locker is not up in the top of the bow like all of the other Yamaha boats but rather ours is under the front bow cushion. The anchor locker sits just above where the ski locker is and it drains into the ski locker. Thankfully this is an instance on our boat that I'm glad is not like the other boats lol.

35-40 pumps is a lot compared to my gun IIRC. Did it tell you how much it pushes out per pump? How much do you figure you put in? My gun pumps 4 oz every 100 pumps so I went a little less than 29 pumps for the 1.18 oz of grease at 10 hour service.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I've put 2-5 pumps in that fitting in 10 years. If the hose feels firm I leave it alone.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@scokill , I agree with you but on the newer 240s (2013 and up) there is no hose from the top of the engine to the bearing, just a zirk fitting on the outside of the pump/bearing housing. Not sure about the other models but suspect that Yamaha would do the same to all its boats if it could save the cost of the hose and mounting plates (estimate generously at $1 to $2 + a 1 to 2 minutes of labor to install the items).

I recall some guys installing an inline pressure gauge on each line, they are inexpensive at places like McMaster Carr but I wouldn't know what pressure is correct and I doubt that I could find the thread again easily, so I just make sure the fill tube is firm at least once a season.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I blew the same type of seal while in a no wake zone after pumping in too much grease. Water was almost over the carbs in the engine compartment. Ski locker flooded it was really not fun at all. It happens man.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine has the zerk fitting and hose. I will pump grease until the hose is firm and then use a small screw driver to push the ball of the zerk fitting to relieve any excessive pressure in the hose.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I separated one once, realized the design was really a sealed bearing and overfilling it would compromise it. If I ever decide to add grease I plan on removing the fitting from the housing and making an adaptor using a metal turkey baster hypodermic needle end since it would be long enough and have the size needle needed to carry grease, then attach a hose to the end of the needle with a zerk fitting to attach to a small grease gun, place the needle down in the hole and pump grease until it comes out of the hole and then return the grease fitting thus avoiding any unnecessary pressure. I already use a piece of weed eater string to check on the condition of the grease using it in the grease fitting hole and checking by pushing the string down into the grease and then checking for evidence of water.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No tube on the 1.8L 192's. Not sure when they changed to just a fitting. The first service should be filling the cavity. It's uncertain if they leave the factory with any grease at all or just the bare minimum and that's why you fill at 10 hours. After that it's periodic topping it off when it's scheduled per hours.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my boat is at the dealership..... sat there for 4 days b4 they even looked at it.....another story all together.....

I spoke with the mechanic and not even a question of how the grease got into the bearing housing...... phew !!! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Ive been told, for now that its all under warranty......They pulled the engine and heres where Im asking JBers to chime in.....
The mechanic said he doesnt think he has to replace the bearing but "some other part" - sorry dont recall - in order to stop the leakage of water into the engine compartment......
Then "repack the bearing and reinstall engine......
I was at buddies place yesterday who has 10 rebuilt classic cars on his property - guys is a wizard - anyway he swears up and down that that bearing should be replaced.....and not repacked !!!!

Ideas Lads ????

P.S. For now they cant seem to find a leak of which each time I come out of the water I extract 6-7 GALLONS of water from both IN and UNDER the ski locker.

Thanx Muchly @TiMaH 20170806_114754.jpg 20170806_114808.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That is a sealed bearing and if he can repack it he is a wizard to the third level. The rubber around it is a vibration dampener sort of like the rubber on a harmonic balancer and also is also part of the seal. Its all one piece replace it and go have some fun.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree to the 10th power it is ruined and trying to fix it is a big mistake the rubber has separated from the aluminum housing , you would never get that safe to use.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok thanx kindly gentlemen for your learned in-sight..... Ill inform my mechanic that JB have spoken !!!