• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

inaccurate water temp display

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My Connex screen is showing artificially high water temps ? For the last couple weeks it has been showing between 92-98 in both float mode and while in motion. I believe the depth gauge to be accurate. I know the water temp is actually between 80-82. Any suggestions for fixing this issue short of taking it back to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
In my experience, the water temp on most bodies of water is much warmer in the top layer of water. Not sure if that is what is happening to you but just remember the sensor is reading that top layer of water so it will typically read high. Having said that, the difference that you indicate you are seeing does seem high.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In my experience, the water temp on most bodies of water is much warmer in the top layer of water. Not sure if that is what is happening to you but just remember the sensor is reading that top layer of water so it will typically read high. Having said that, the difference that you indicate you are seeing does seem high.
Totally agree....I'll bet if you stick a temp sensor in the top inch of water you'll find that the temp are way higher there than 3-4 feet below the surface. Surface temperatures are also majorly impacted by wind direction. If you are on the end of the lake with the wind blowing towards you, all that warm surface water will be blown your way. Conversely, if you are at the other end water will get pulled up from the bottom as the surface water is blown away. Real world example last year on Falls lake.....down wind lake surface temp was 99 degrees....up wind surface temp was 92 degrees (and yes...the water was that hot....and we moved to the upwind side to get cooler water, and below the surface it was likely in the 80s)

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do the depth and water temp come from the same sensor ? All I know is that we drop anchor pretty much in the same spot on the lake (Cumberland) each time out. It is between 40-50 feet of water depending on time of year and if dam valves are open or closed ? In the heat of last summer (July and August) my screen was saying 80-82 degrees. Now in late May the same gauge on the same boat in the same part of the lake is telling me low to mid 90s ? I don't doubt anything you are saying and very much appreciate your input , just think the variance is excessive ? Meat thermometer will be making the next trip with us !! lol

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah I don't what your weather is like down there but up here in MN I historically am only in the water with a wet suit on Memorial weekend. This year though we had a string of 90+ and the water felt great, in fact the top 20" felt down right warm - if you took a dive though down further it was freezing. So I'd be interested in your thermometer experiment on your next trip out but I'd say its definitely possible that the temp displayed is accurate for the bottom of the boat.
I'll let anyone else correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that the temp sensor is in the depth transducer unit.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having a simar issue with the temp reading and I'm certain it's wrong. Water temps were in the 80s the last few times we've been out. Reading was in the high 90s a few weeks ago, then up in the 100s the next week, even up to 117 last time I was out. Now it just says "err". It won't even read in the garage with the key on. Wasn't going to worry about it until end of season so I wasn't out of commission during boating season but I hope the depth transducer doesn't start having issues if the unit is one in the same. I can live without a temp reading but not a depth.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Temp and depth are from the same factory transducer and the data is sent to Connext digitally. Getting readings that are far off inidicates that the transducer is filthy, damaged, or you somehow have very warm water in your boat gathering near the transducer.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has always read high by about 5 degrees since day one. Its clean and like new.
Every time i tie up to another boat i always compare it and its always 5 degrees high