• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intake Grate Won't Fit Ride Plate

dwall2181

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys,

Help needed...The intake grate was broken on my 2006 Yamaha SX210. I ordered an OEM replacement thinking it would be a simple swap. The part took months to arrive and arrived deformed beyond belief. (see attached pics) Long story short, the intake grate will not fit into the Ride Plate.

Has anyone else replaced their intake grate and was it a direct fit replacement?

Should I grind the intake grate until it fits?

Any advice would be appreciated since I'm iffy about waiting for a back-ordered replacement.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_6859.JPG
    IMG_6859.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
I’d talk to the seller. Maybe you can keep that since it’s already screwed up and then get a good one shipped out when they’re available.

Hard to tell what all is deformed and where you would be grinding. If it’s light grinding on the edges it’s probably fine.

Is the part number received the one you ordered? Or is it from another year boat?

Not sure I am appreciating what deformation you are looking at. That little bumpiness on the left in the pic? Judgment call (as @AZMark said) on grinding. If it is just a little, probably worth doing that rather than sending it back and waiting. On the other hand, it is winter... and demand is low now. You may not need to wait as long.

After you figure out if it is the wrong part, call the vendor. See what they can do for you. Then you can make a decision.

I would ask the people who sold it to you before doing anything to it

Yes I agree speak to the company that sold it to you. As mentioned above I am not sure where the problem is so make sure you can clearly articulate what is wrong when speaking to the seller!

I’m pretty sure I see the deformation you’re referring to. All the waves on the face of the plate? I’m not sure if that would make it weaker or not, but I don’t think it should have passed inspection. If you’re going boating still this year, then maybe make it work until a new one arrives. If not, then I would send it back.

It should be a direct replacement with no work required. I'd send it back and ask for the correct part!

Back