• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet pump "blueprinting" (how it's done) - by WFO Performance

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very excited to find more Houston-area-ites around! Welcome, folks!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone who can give great performance imput is awsome in my book!

erj1452002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I finally found my way over from that "other" place. I hadn't logged on there since 2010. l would be happy to answer any questions about the work on ERJs boat as long as he's okay with it.
Of course! Be my guest, WFO!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I finally found my way over from that "other" place. I hadn't logged on there since 2010. l would be happy to answer any questions about the work on ERJs boat as long as he's okay with it.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am glad that @erj1452002 has a 192 so @swatski can keep the title for fastest 190. If erj1452002 had a 190 I could see Swatski spending the next few years buying another 190 and tweaking her to stay ahead. This way he can enjoy a little boating.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome @erj1452002 and @WFO Performance ! Look forwad to reading all about your mods!

WFO, can you tell us about what you offer and some ideas of cost per pump/options? Also, if you'd like a vendor forum to post up a more formal intro/ad we can set you up with one.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am glad that @erj1452002 has a 192 so @swatski can keep the title for fastest 190. If erj1452002 had a 190 I could see Swatski spending the next few years buying another 190 and tweaking her to stay ahead. This way he can enjoy a little boating.
The crazy thing about @erj1452002 /@WFO Performance 192 is the speed AND hookup. That has just got to be so deeply satisfying. I have never had that with my "fast" setup, albeit I did have some good results with my low end mods. But nothing like a supercharged 160mm pump glued to the water!

What these guys are doing, they are just in a class by themselves. Hopefully we can learn some tricks and buy stuff that works.
Thanks @Julian and @Bruce for facilitating, very exciting.

--

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When i saw the title of this thread, I thought "PUMP BLUEPRINTING" was "coming back". You dont here much about it nowadays, but it was something that we used to do extensively. Heres what 6 hours with the grinder and sanding rolls do: For "pump sealing"000_0029.JPG we use the 3M 4200 Fast Cure. We have sealed PWCs in the thousands with the stuff and 15+ years later some look like the day it was done.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@islandracing I wonder if you could take a digital CMM scan of that and import it into mastercam and let a CNC machine do that in a quarter of the time. We get some really good looking smooth molds from big cutters these days.

All I did to this was some minor scotchbrite.

20161228_083428.jpg

WFO Performance

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome @erj1452002 and @WFO Performance ! Look forwad to reading all about your mods!

WFO, can you tell us about what you offer and some ideas of cost per pump/options? Also, if you'd like a vendor forum to post up a more formal intro/ad we can set you up with one.
To clean up the tunnel area, I like to remove the pump, ride plate and intake grate. Usually a couple hours of work. If the transom is mis-aligned I would recommend removing it and realigning and resealing it too, which takes a little longer. Its really hard to quote prices on custom work like this without putting eyeballs on it. I would be glad to take a look at anyones situation and offer some advice or pricing on repairs.

I haven't done a lot of performance work on these jet boats... mostly just maintenance and stock engine repairs, but I have a lot of experience with the SHO engine platform and Yamaha jet drive systems.

Last edited:

WFO Performance

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When i saw the title of this thread, I thought "PUMP BLUEPRINTING" was "coming back". You dont here much about it nowadays, but it was something that we used to do extensively. Heres what 6 hours with the grinder and sanding rolls do: For "pump sealing"View attachment 49849 we use the 3M 4200 Fast Cure. We have sealed PWCs in the thousands with the stuff and 15+ years later some look like the day it was done.
Hey Carl!

I kinda figured id see you over here. I remember talking to you and Fercho back in 05 about your pump blueprinting, and actually that picture is what got me interested. Honestly we got more gains from working in the tunnel area than polishing the pump. Every little bit helps tho.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started replying to @jcyamaharider about that very thing, before those last posts.

My read on all of that is the sealing of the transom plate, intake channel and the pump segments is the KEY. I have not heard of anyone gaining speed or acceleration from polishing only.

EDIT: Not saying that growing barnacles in your pump won't affect your speed. Just that at some point law of diminishing returns kicks in, and it's early into the process when you just polish your pump.

--

Last edited:

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey Carl!

I kinda figured id see you over here. I remember talking to you and Fercho back in 05 about your pump blueprinting, and actually that picture is what got me interested. Honestly we got more gains from working in the tunnel area than polishing the pump. Every little bit helps tho.
Whats going on Rich... Yeah , thats going way back,,, actually by 05, I probably wasnt doing them anymore. Glad to see you got into the Jetboat end of things. Similar but different....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What kind of cost was in this build? Really excited to see someone do the 160nn upgrade. Boat show is next weekend and they are going to have a 195 there. Last thing I need to see as I must restrain myself from trading in on it lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of cost was in this build? Really excited to see someone do the 160nn upgrade. Boat show is next weekend and they are going to have a 195 there. Last thing I need to see as I must restraint myself from trading in on it lol.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow! Gotta play to pay but I bet she hauls booty!! I think I'd come out better trading in and eating the depreciation.

Hope to see some vids of this boat ripping it up!

erj1452002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love how my boat runs now -- probably similar to or better than a new 195! When I started the upgrade project, I didn't know Yamaha was going to upgrade the 2017s. Had I known, I would have considered a trade. But, I don't think the math would add up very well. Something like 20k trade in for my boat put towards 40k in price, fees, taxes for a 2017. So, 20k difference vs 6 k for the work I had done.

On another note, I just got home from the Houston Boat Show, and they are offering some seriously good deals on 2016 models for anyone looking for a discount!

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You were only offered 20k for your 2016 192?? I've seen older 192's sell for more so it sounds like they were gonna try and take you for a bath.

I would imagine your boat runs at least as good as a 195 but probably better with all the mods. I'm not sure where a C1 wheel stacks up to the one in the SVHO/195 but your boat has to be real close, if not faster. I hear ya on being unaware the 195's were coming out. I didn't know either and bought my boat a month and a half before the 195's were let known. Had I known...well I would have waited too lol. Oh well hindsight and all that heh

erj1452002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Bath" is right! Although I haven't pursued a trade in offer recently, I did after I got the boat last year because I thought I may want something larger. The trade in offer for my brand new boat with 4 hours on it was a serious "bath". Obviously, I didn't go through with it. Based on that experience, I imagine the dealer's offer now would be around 20k, if that. Even if it was 30k, I'd still be ahead 4 k now by upgrading instead of buying new. Plus, it's been quite fun upgrading and test running throughout the process. My mechanic says there are more rpm's and mph's to be had with a little depitching of the prop. Can't wait to test that theory! And, it shouldn't be too expensive -- a few hours of labor, maybe.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@ISLANDRACING and @WFO Performance would you say that blueprinting the pump on a double jet boat would be beneficial?
I did it very roughly when I first bought the boat, just simply smoothing things out by eye. I don't know if it helped because I replaced some beat impellers at the same time and went from 47 mph to 52. Now I added subs, tower, speakers blah blah blah and I'm back down, lol!
And actually, I never took the "ride plate" off of mine because I started stripping the bolt off on both of them. Any tricks to that? Super stubborn bolts that haven't come off ever since assembly so I don't know if I want to mess with it!