• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just Bought a 2017 242X E Series

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for any guidance/Tips from any other 242X E Series owners about the boat.

Can't wait for Spring....Looking forward to try wake surfing.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for any guidance/Tips from any other 242X E Series owners about the boat.

Can't wait for Spring....Looking forward to try wake surfing.
Welcome @ADSA95 ! Looks like your boat will only fit on one of the top shelves? LOL.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats @ADSA95 on the new boat. It's going to be a long winter knowing that you've got a new boat just waiting to have fun!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome and Congrats!

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'd be real curious to hear The experience that other owners of these boats have had with wake surfing. Specifically using the stock ballast tanks set up. We are new to wake surfing and hoping that the stock set up is sufficient enough for beginners

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd be real curious to hear The experience that other owners of these boats have had with wake surfing. Specifically using the stock ballast tanks set up. We are new to wake surfing and hoping that the stock set up is sufficient enough for beginners
Have a look at this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/first-ballast-fill-for-16-242x-how.9648/#post-200744

I would take your 242 X out for a test run to test all systems so that any problems can be fixed by the dealer over the winter.

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bruce thanks for the link, very helpful

Are there known issues with the boat that I should look for? Its in winter storage until spring so the won't be able to to any preventative test as you recommended.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce thanks for the link, very helpful

Are there known issues with the boat that I should look for? Its in winter storage until spring so the won't be able to to any preventative test as you recommended.
@Julian and @Glen both had issues with various electrical systems. I believe that @julians issues were mainly with amplifier wiring and a power drain. I believe Glen had an amplifier issue and needed a replacement ballast controller.

Typically Yamahas are pretty bulletproof. The X series has a lot more electrical equipment than others models come with from the factory and there seems to have been a few issues with 16s.

I would try to test as much as you can. Perhaps get them to set her in the water tied to the dock so you can test the ballast. You can test the stereo in the rack.

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great thanks for the advice I'll be sure to test everything out before I take delivery in the spring.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The dealer discovered my boats wiring issue before they turned it over to me....so hopefully your dealer has gone through your boat properly. Take your time going through it and check everything.

I didnt wake surf this year....spent most of the time wake boarding (and got much better!) and tubing with the kids!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian and @Glen both had issues with various electrical systems. I believe that @julians issues were mainly with amplifier wiring and a power drain. I believe Glen had an amplifier issue and needed a replacement ballast controller.

Typically Yamahas are pretty bulletproof. The X series has a lot more electrical equipment than others models come with from the factory and there seems to have been a few issues with 16s.

I would try to test as much as you can. Perhaps get them to set her in the water tied to the dock so you can test the ballast. You can test the stereo in the rack.
Significant issues with '16 242X
-Ballast Controller was bad. Would short circuit the pumps and not work. Took dealer 5 months of chasing wires to get new controller. Not sure where technical incompetence ends and shortage of controllers starts. Took too long. (Now frankly, we still had a ball with the boat, but it was not until Sept that we finally got to fill ballast and surf with no ropes (kids, not me). +200 lbs, you will need added ballast.

-Trailer wheel well bracket cracking. Can find a lot about the lack of radial tires and resulting vibration causing the brackets to crack. Caused one of our Bimini long-haulers (Wash State) to get a blow out. Thankfully, just one.
I had it completely warrantee'd (tires and brackets) and the bracket cracked after the first 450 mile trip. Bringing it back again over the Winter.

Completely agree with @Bruce, I'd have them put the boat in the water and do a full operational check of all systems.

Do suggest upgrading batteries to AGM's. They gave me a fair amount back on the OEM's and I went and bought high quality AGM's at Sears. They installed for me. Never sad with higher battery capacity and resiliency.

For most dealers this boat is the most complicated machine they have ever worked on at the dealership. You may have to search for 'the guy' that has the electronic chops, and Yamaha background to get it right. Even connecting the batteries has been a challenge for some dealers.

Good luck!