• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Locking up your hitch

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That doesn't look "beefy" enough for me when compared to other devices on this site. http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Tow-Ready/63227.html
It isn't metal, but it is a pretty darn hard plastic. I also forgot to mention that the boat is stored at my in-laws warehouse. Every night the barb wire laced fences are locked, the parking lot is lit up and plenty of security cameras make me comfortable enough to just use those. I do like the idea of locking the swing away.

Also I saw a trailer at a local marina last year where it looked like the ball mount was made to come off of the trailer. I haven't made up my mind if that is better or worse than locking the ball mount... Part of me tends to think that anyone could just buy a new ball mount and hook it up to the trailer in a couple of seconds and pull away.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It sounds like you don't really need to lock it down when it's in storage, good.

When my rig was stolen the thieves simply unscrewed the nut holding the ball to the tongue to separate the trailer from the truck. When they recovered the trailer (and boat) the ball was still locked in the trailer and could have easily been connected to the tongue on another tow vehicle.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like you don't really need to lock it down when it's in storage, good.

When my rig was stolen the thieves simply unscrewed the nut holding the ball to the tongue to separate the trailer from the truck. When they recovered the trailer (and boat) the ball was still locked in the trailer and could have easily been connected to the tongue on another tow vehicle.

That really gets me thinking.... We are planning several overnight trips this year. If we end up having to keep the boat out of the water on any particular night it sounds like it would be safer to unhook the boat trailer from the truck and lock up the trailer. The only thing I have holding my hitch to the receiver of my truck is a pin and clip. It seems to me that a couple of decent size guys could take the hitch out of the receiver and push the boat away from my truck and onto their receiver pretty easily.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yup. I've been burned so I'm probably more aware or paranoid but it's easier than most think. Having anything stolen would suck but if the trailer gets stolen while you are on the water you are stuck. I think I could pull the pin on the tongue, push an empty trailer over to my tow vehicle, hook it back up and be gone in 60 seconds. It could be on Craigslist a few minutes later. I think the same way when I want to take my waverunners out alone. For instance, how many guys would it take to lift the unused ski off of the trailer and into the bed of a truck? How long would it take them? Not many, not long.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're exactly right. Our trailers are worth a lot of money. Since we boat in a fairly busy place, I guess the only thing that might save us is one of our fellow boaters see what is going on and does something about it. But if you boat somewhere isolated I guess there aren't always people around.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I guess that is why we pay out the ass for insurance. So we dont have to worry about the truck and trailer when we are out on water:winkingthumbsup"

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just remove the swing away hitch pin and place one of those locks for the coupler latch on it. Not enough room to bolt cut. I suppose you could drill out the lock, but I face it down to make it a little more of a PITA. This way the trailer would be completely unstable if towing, going around corner etc. Unless I'm missing something, seems like a pretty decent deterrent.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
simple lock, only to keep the honest people honest. Fancy bigger locks are of little value if dishonest people want your boat...

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any solution can be defeated, plain and simple. The more involved the defense is, the bigger pita it is for the owner. I remove the pin that allows me to fold the tongue, then I place a hidden shackle locks through the pin hole. I place a dial type hidden shackle lock through the lower pin hole, and then wrap the safety chains around the folded tongue and put one more dial based hidden shackle lock through the chains. I also remove the clean out plugs, so if someone does take my boat I'll have the satisfaction of knowing they won't get far on the water!

It's not a perfect, solution, but hopefully enough to keep the amateur thieves away, without being too much of a pain for me. Insurance is the other piece of mind...

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only true defense from financial loss due to theft is a good insurance policy. Your boat could disappear tied up to the dock during dinner just as easily as it could sitting on the trailer in your driveway. Even cameras only help if you can see the license plate AND the tow vehicle they are using is not stolen.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thing that has not discussed here is the 2" ball and ball mount, a thief can easily remove the nut from the ball, lift it out of your ball mount - then use the trailer tongue jack to move the boat to their tow vehicle, insert the ball into their ball mount, put on the nut and drive away. I always weld my trailer balls to the mount along with the other security measures mentioned in this thread. Balls and Ball mounts are cheap, so I have all three sized balls and different mounts with different drops - all welded on, it's extra time and money, but I sleep good knowing it's as secure as possible.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
When you think about it the best protection against a thief is to have insurance

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
For the house the best deterrent that I have is 2 big dogs that like to show off their pearly white teeth. Plus the boat and trailer set in the back of my place and to get to the road you have to drive by my bed room window, well within range of any off my bullet launchers.[flag]:thumbsup::devilhorns:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is hardly a trailer lock out there that a sawsall won't get through. Find one that is fairly resistant to bolt cutters and insurance then hope for the best. Make it a more difficult target to engage and thieves are more likely to move on without trying.

Just don't forget to lube your trailer and drawbar locks with crc marine spray lube or similar a few times a year or you may be cutting off your own lock.

I personally got this wonderfully priced set and use the trailer lock in place of the retention pin both when attached to the truck and when it is not.

Reese Towpower 7030600 Professional 5/8" Chrome Receiver Lock and Coupler Lock www.amazon.com/dp/B003FKTX4G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_mCwFxb8Y3NNW9

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP