• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at buying a Center Console Jet Boat--recommendations?

Jare

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m retiring to Florida soon. Looking for a center console, fish boat. Jet boat recommended to me cause I often have grandchildren swim when with me. Safety, no prop. Looking at 19’ Yamaha and scarab. Any suggestions as to reliability, warranty and ease of maintenance? Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you are taking a lot of people. Planning water sports, or boating in the ocean or the gulf, buy your last boat first get a 21 foot twin engine F S H center console.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With salt water and seaweed and sargasso everywhere I would stay away from jet boats, unless it is dry slipped and used primarily for water sports / sandbar trips.

Otherwise - I would look at something like Sea Fox Commander etc.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I concur. I would go outboard powered center console in your situation.

The safety of a jetboat based on a lack of propellers is more perception than reality IMO. Having owned both, and having kids on both I've come to find of all the things that are going to seriously hurt you on a boat, the prop vs jet is a drop in the bucket. If you're behind either boat when the engines are running then you're being unsafe in general. I've kicked my jet pump the same number of times I've kicked the prop on my last boat........Once. Now I keep my feet away from them. Both drew blood as well. If you teach the young ones how to be safe around a boat, then they'll be just fine. If you teach them to just "jump and play as you like" then you're asking for trouble. Respect for your surroundings and situational awareness is a great byproduct of boating safely, regardless of the drive type.

With that said, my wife thinks the jet is safer regardless of what I think, and that wasn't discounted in our buying decision.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a real good thread about prop vs nonprop. I wish I remembered who posted.
Someone actually said that a prop is like a chain saw, and people stay away from it because they are worried about what it can do

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With salt water and seaweed and sargasso everywhere I would stay away from jet boats, unless it is dry slipped and used primarily for water sports / sandbar trips.

Otherwise - I would look at something like Sea Fox Commander etc.

Agree with this. A move to Florida is on our radar - when we do, it'll likely come with a change to an outboard boat.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The scarab has the drop tailgate transom (at least on some models) which seems like a very good idea for both water sports and landing fish.

It’s seems similar to that early Yamaha water level swim platforms in that it extends way past the jet pumps making it nearly impossible to hurt yourself when boarding in deep or shallow water. Or tangle your lines when fishing.

The FSH still has a good transom design and swim platform.

Both are miles ahead of the typical OB center console for water sports in my opinion.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, single vs dual...dual motors will give you greater confidence to go further away and always return home on your own power.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The scarab has the drop tailgate transom (at least on some models) which seems like a very good idea for both water sports and landing fish.
True but with that gate... you lose the use of the ladder. Which may not be ideal with kids and some adults.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True but with that gate... you lose the use of the ladder. Which may not be ideal with kids and some adults.

--
Scarab has a ladder that attaches to the tailgate so you can still get in. I asked the same question about the 255 when I first saw the tailgate.

Jare

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow, good response, advice. Thank you all!!
Also to Admin, Julian for moving “thread”!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
saw a kid jump from the back of a boat and land on the prop while park at the sand bar, props can hurt you even when the engine is off. He asked about JET center console for a reason, safety of the kids, not cuz of saltwater etc. saltwater ? plz I grew up in an island as lond as you flush any engine inboard outboard or jet, it will last a long time. leave any boat in fresh water for an extended period and see what kind of damage developes.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You might want to check out the Rotax engine forum to follow up on this post. Flushing for only 2 minutes, even with an anti-salt additive, might not be enough for regular saltwater use.

Engine flush/Carbon Seal Issues
Discussion in 'Rotax Engine Topics' started by ScarabMike, Jun 1, 2017.
  1. I hope this information was passed to everyone when buying their boats. But, I feel as if we have to cover it in its own thread.

When flushing a rotax powered craft, try your best not to go over 2 minutes. There is a ring that seals the drive shaft of the pump to the engine called the "carbon seal".

This ring uses contact with the water within the shaft tube to cool itself. It is a wear item, and if it gets too hot, it will prematurely fail. When you flush your engine, it does not squirt water on this seal.

A carbon ring that doesn't seal correctly can sink a boat in SECONDS.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You might want to check out the Rotax engine forum to follow up on this post. Flushing for only 2 minutes, even with an anti-salt additive, might not be enough for regular saltwater use.

Engine flush/Carbon Seal Issues
Discussion in 'Rotax Engine Topics' started by ScarabMike, Jun 1, 2017.
  1. I hope this information was passed to everyone when buying their boats. But, I feel as if we have to cover it in its own thread.

When flushing a rotax powered craft, try your best not to go over 2 minutes. There is a ring that seals the drive shaft of the pump to the engine called the "carbon seal".

This ring uses contact with the water within the shaft tube to cool itself. It is a wear item, and if it gets too hot, it will prematurely fail. When you flush your engine, it does not squirt water on this seal.

A carbon ring that doesn't seal correctly can sink a boat in SECONDS.
SEAdoo engines have closed loop cooling for the block. Even though it adds more stuff to break and maintain it is generally better for use in the, you know, SEA.

Still need to flush the inter cooler and exhaust. But salt-away recommends 1 minute to flush. Otherwise your wasting product.

As with any boat spraying down the pump and engine compartment with your favorite lube is a good idea.

And I thought the forums had decided scarab had an issue with engine and pump alignment leading to more then usual problems with the carbon seal... other manufacturers with SEAdoo engines didn’t have as many problems according to the web.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So far my 19' FSH has been great in both fresh and the intracoastal. I had to reseal most of the silicone due to the leaky nature of the vessel but have a bone-dry bilge now. There are plenty of postings about where to do this. I routinely carry my wife and daughter and friends on 2 hour to 6 hour trips. Having an onboard changing room with a head is much appreciated by the ladies. We fish and beach the boat often as well as just cruise. I'm quite happy and it's very easy to work on.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about salt... plenty of us here. You just have to be a responsible owner. Wash and flush after every use.

Don't let them down play the proper vs. non prop. It may not be a big deal for kids with half a brain - but it is a big deal for marine life - and we have plenty of animals seriously injured or killed by props. Take one look at this dolphin and prop is 100% out of the question. https://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/dolphin-with-deep-propeller-cuts-improving/2238246

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I concur. I would go outboard powered center console in your situation.

The safety of a jetboat based on a lack of propellers is more perception than reality IMO. Having owned both, and having kids on both I've come to find of all the things that are going to seriously hurt you on a boat, the prop vs jet is a drop in the bucket. If you're behind either boat when the engines are running then you're being unsafe in general. I've kicked my jet pump the same number of times I've kicked the prop on my last boat........Once. Now I keep my feet away from them. Both drew blood as well. If you teach the young ones how to be safe around a boat, then they'll be just fine. If you teach them to just "jump and play as you like" then you're asking for trouble. Respect for your surroundings and situational awareness is a great byproduct of boating safely, regardless of the drive type.

With that said, my wife thinks the jet is safer regardless of what I think, and that wasn't discounted in our buying decision.
I agree with your response, the majority of the injuries will occur with not paying attention to the location of the gates or prop. However, in my career I've seen just about every type of trauma imaginable, especially when it comes to water. While the severe cases are few and far between, they do happen. My wife and I both decided to make the switch to a propless boat after a summer of prop accidents that seemed to come out of nowhere. It went from slicing a leg open on a prop (forgetting how close they were to it as well as not putting the motor down) to a father who lost sight of his child off the tube and breaking the cardinal rule of shutting down the minute you lose sight of the person and ended up running over his own child with the boat and full propeller the entire length of the body. That one sealed the deal on us leaving props. For my own peace of mind, I don't want to turn anyone into a salad in the unlikely event I dont see them. Although, jets can do damage if not monitored.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jare , directly to your question, I like Cobra's suggestion to get your last boat first, so would checkout the 21' twin engine. Two-foot disease is real, you will appreciate that extra room when the grandkids visit, and two motors is better than one especially on the ocean (we have had the unpleasant experience of limping home on one motor after sucking in a bunch of seagrass and a plastic milk jug, ugh).

Know you didn't ask, but I would strongly consider an outboard instead of jets. Not sure where you are looking in FL, but in the Keys 99% of the recreational powerboats are center consoles with outboards, and the vast majority of those folks are fishing, diving/snorkeling, cruising, and entertaining kids/grandkids. Unless your objectives or situation are very different then gotta figure there is a reason for the popularity. Those grandkids are gonna love visiting you, boating around, and playing in the water, and will do so safely regardless what is pushing the boat.