• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Loose spark plugs?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When I change my plugs in the spring for the season, I hand tighten them in, then give them another half to three-quarter turn in to tighten them up. By fall, they're loose enough that it only takes about an 1/8 turn or so to bring them out by hand.

No performance issues found at all. I just wonder if these motors are seriously turning the plugs back that much - or if it's just warm motor (new plugs installed after warming up for oil change) vs. cold motor. Next year I'm going to index and count the turns on a few plugs for documentation later in the season.

Get a torque wrench from Harbor Frieght and do it to spec.

@anmut I can say that is typical for me. One year I was able to back one out without putting the ratchet handle on it. Like you, I never noticed a performance issue.

Get a torque wrench from Harbor Frieght and do it to spec.

I think my manual states 12 ft lbs EDIT 9.6 Ft lbs… that is the way I tighten mine and they are still snug when I back them out, but not tight.

When the plugs are put in per the box of like 3/4 of a turn after the crush gasket hits it is typical for them to feel loose when you take them out.

Last edited:
I think my manual states 12 ft lbs… that is the way I tighten mine and they are still snug when I back them out, but not tight.

When the plugs are put in per the box of like 3/4 of a turn after the crush gasket hits it is typical for them to feel loose when you take them out.
Should be 18.5 IIRC

I appreciate that - yeah, I have a tq wrench too, just never thought about using it on my boat plugs as I don't have any other plugs that walk out like that. Also, I'd rather have them walk out than get stuck and break... that gives me nightmares!

Checked my service manual it’s 9.6 ft lbs for the TR-1’s

Good call! I have been working on the 1.8s. With the AR210 now, I probably would have overlooked that.

The plugs have a crush washer. When you tighten the additional 1/2 - 3/4 turn you are crushing the washer. when you remove the plug the washer has been crushed and does not return to it's original thickness, hence the 1/4 turn to break free before hand tight.
You can verify this by measuring the thickness of the crush washer before installation and after removal.

Back