• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Maintenance Costs IO vs Jet Drive

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So in this thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/undecided-on-jet-or-prop.3553/#post-59570 , there have been multiple comments on the cost of maintenance of IO's being more than that of Jets. I did not want to hijack the thread so I thought I would start a new thread and ask - could someone please elaborate on these costs? As an IO owner, my maintenance costs involve winterizing which includes an oil change. The cost being about $100 (fuel filter, oil filter, oil, -50 eco friendly antifreeze, grease). I do the procedure myself. I know that eventually bellows, u joints and impeller will have to be checked, possibly replaced, but even then the cost is about $400 (having a dealer do it) and that does not have to be done every year or even every other year. As a newbie to jet boats, and as someone who is very interested in them from the safety aspect ie no prop, could you please explain how jets are cheaper? If this has been discussed before, could you please post a link?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I think this is a great post and I think this will produce some good discussion. I know that your question primarily surrounds the power plant/drive system of each boat type, but I want to give you something additional to think about. When I bough my Yamaha last year it was my first boat. I spent 5 or 6 years trying to talk myself out of buying a boat. I eventually caved and was certain I would buy a used Chaparral after doing years of research. One of the reasons that I bought the Yamaha instead was because of lower maintenance costs........but maybe not for the reason you think. In my case, it had little to do with jet vs. I/O, but more to do with the knowledge of this forum on all things Yamaha boat related. In other words, I knew that if I bought a Yamaha and had any issue short of an engine seizure that I could post the issue here and be guided step-by-step to an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. I also did not want the boat sitting at the dealership waiting to be repaired while the valuable summer days slipped away (our summer is very short).

There are other forums such as the Chaparral forum that are very good, but if you spend time here you will realize the level of knowledge on these boats and the willingness to help is extraordinary. Many people have issues while on the water and within minutes have a line of people standing by to help them. Many of us have become good friends on the forum that reach well beyond just sharing boating information. As I have said many times, while the Yamaha product is good and provides decent value, the real value in Yamaha ownership is this forum. I have much more faith in the people here than at the Yamaha dealership.

Last edited:
So in this thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/undecided-on-jet-or-prop.3553/#post-59570 , there have been multiple comments on the cost of maintenance of IO's being more than that of Jets. I did not want to hijack the thread so I thought I would start a new thread and ask - could someone please elaborate on these costs? As an IO owner, my maintenance costs involve winterizing which includes an oil change. The cost being about $100 (fuel filter, oil filter, oil, -50 eco friendly antifreeze, grease). I do the procedure myself. I know that eventually bellows, u joints and impeller will have to be checked, possibly replaced, but even then the cost is about $400 (having a dealer do it) and that does not have to be done every year or even every other year. As a newbie to jet boats, and as someone who is very interested in them from the safety aspect ie no prop, could you please explain how jets are cheaper? If this has been discussed before, could you please post a link?

Thanks in advance!

I may have forgotten all the little things that I was plagued with when I owned a prop boat, so bear with me....and since you specifically mention I/O, we'll stick to that type.

All the parts you mentioned, bellows, impellers, etc. will definitely get replaced sooner than later. Oil changes - we both have to do that, but I/O's have a lower unit that needs an oil change too. I've had to replace manifolds, water pumps, gimble bearings, hydraulic rams, switches.

But what drove me nuts was the unexpected prop strike on a submerged something or other that ruined an expensive prop - several times. Or damage to the lower unit from a strike.

And more importantly to me - especially when the kids were young, was that big unit hanging off the stern that just seemed to draw accidents like a magnet. Someone would bump into it, cut themselves and that's a pain in the ass for a few hours....not to mention the nightmare of kids around a spinning prop.

I much prefer a direct drive or V drive if I have to pilot a prop boat.

Overall, the Yamaha has been the easiest boat to maintain and run. My cost of fuel is very comparable to my buddies with inboards and V drives and my oil changes are a snap! :cool:

I came over from the Outboard world but my neighbor bought a 21' SeaRay open-bow brand new. His first time out he did a couple THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to his lower unit (didn't actually see it, just going off what he told me). Maybe insurance covered it - I don't know - but he was boatless for several weeks while it was being fixed. Not exactly "maintenance" but it's something that you might have to deal with.

With a Jet (particularly a Yamaha due to the knowledge base here) if you have an on-the-water "encounter" it usually involves sucking something up. Worst-case you need to pull the pump to get something out that is badly stuck - and guys have done that in the parking lot.

There are a lot more "moving parts" with an I/O so it is normal that there will be more to maintain. This is true of any equipment. Some boats go longer between needing things fixed, but EVENTUALLY they will all need to be fixed or just maintained. I/Os will have more stuff to maintain and more moving parts typically reduced the time between having to perform maintenance work.

(Sorry if this poorly written. I'm on a very boring conference call that I've got to half-listen to in case they need me... :rolleyes:)

I may have forgotten all the little things that I was plagued with when I owned a prop boat, so bear with me....and since you specifically mention I/O, we'll stick to that type.
All the parts you mentioned, bellows, impellers, etc. will definitely get replaced sooner than later. Oil changes - we both have to do that, but I/O's have a lower unit that needs an oil change too. I've had to replace manifolds, water pumps, gimble bearings, hydraulic rams, switches.
But what drove me nuts was the unexpected prop strike on a submerged something or other that ruined an expensive prop - several times. Or damage to the lower unit from a strike.
And more importantly to me - especially when the kids were young, was that big unit hanging off the stern that just seemed to draw accidents like a magnet. Someone would bump into it, cut themselves and that's a pain in the ass for a few hours....not to mention the nightmare of kids around a spinning prop.
I much prefer a direct drive or V drive if I have to pilot a prop boat.
Overall, the Yamaha has been the easiest boat to maintain and run. My cost of fuel is very comparable to my buddies with inboards and V drives and my oil changes are a snap!
:cool:

ALL of what @Glassman said and MORE ! Best Wishes and Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - And you NEVER have to "trim" your motors - Never ! Ever ! Whew ! Ran outta breath just exclaiming that !

I have twin B-3 - I/O's on my other boat - in addition to the above I pay approximately $600. per year for I/O Service which includes greasing of the bearing between the I/O and the motor - I went without this service the first couple of years of ownership and paid a very steep price for my stupidity. In addition to all of that, each OD calls for 6 anodes each year at a cost of approx. $200. per season, and must be coated with antifouling paint as well (Approx $140. just for the paint!). To me, having a jet boat that I simply flush and then gun the motor to expel the water is a dream come true! This is my fourth year owning the Yami and I finally got around to changing the anodes.

My previous boat was an i/o (1989 Carver 2157). It was a nice boat for what we used it for. The issue with maintenance was that I COULD NOT squeeze myself into the engine compartment. I couldn't even fit down there to change the batteries when they went bad. Not long after I got the boat I had to get the gimble bearings replaced $$$ that was stupid money. Winterization each year at the dealership cost me around $200 and unwinterizing it cost me another $100. I loved my mechanic and trusted him completely. One time the guy got me a clip for my trim tabs and charged me 37¢ for it, there were many other examples as well where he would get something quickly for me and then just charge his cost. But I sure don't miss dragging my boat there 2 times per year anymore. Now I spend that maintenance money on gas for the boat!

My maintenance costs for the last year were

$22.17 for 8 spark plugs.
$25 for two Yamaha oil filters.
$33.44 for six quarts of Mobile 1

So $80.61 total / $40.30 per engine for the year.

......(Sorry if this poorly written. I'm on a very boring conference call that I've got to half-listen to in case they need me... :rolleyes:)

You GOTTA love it! I do that ALL the time! :cool:

In saltwater, outboards and I/O's it is recommended to replace the impeller every year. I/O's add to it the bellows, servicing of the drive shaft u joints, power steering system etc. Fresh water you get a little lee way as you don't get crustacious growth. Comparing the two to a jet is no comparison as the jet has none of the above issues. That is not to say a dealer is not going to charge you a premium, they all do but doing it yourself, you will find it to be substantially easier and cheaper. Not to mention the winterizing process is a breeze.

All the moving parts in OB and I/Os need to be maintained. Tilt mechanism, "clutch", water pump, lower unit joints, belows....NONE of these exist in a jet boat. So not only NO maintenance, but no replacement costs either.

@JJ-B-Boatin. to fairly compare an I/O to most of our jet boats you need to compare a twin engine I/O.

Thanks for all the discussion. I guess because I have never owned a jet boat (yet :)) and my experience with IO has been very positive, I am blind (or at least do not want to admit) to all the other moving parts and never really think about it. I have always had the opinion that a boat cost money, just like a car maintenance is just part of the fun of ownership - good or bad.

Also, because I trailer the boat and do not boat in salt water, replacing anodes, u-joints and bellows has never really be a concern of mine. (Don't get me wrong, I have had them inspected and all is good, but I am sure my time will come. Just the cost of ownership.) Because of where I live, I usually only put 25 hours per year on the engine. I am sure once the kids get older and skiing and tubing become more of the norm rather than a short cruise followed by anchoring and swimming the maintenance might start to show more. I am also fortune it enough to be able to store my boat in my garage keeping it out of the harsh sun, rain and snow.

"@JJ-B-Boatin. to fairly compare an I/O to most of our jet boats you need to compare a twin engine I/O."

Honestly I 'm not sure that this could be done. Most boats in the 19'-24' range in the runabout class (which is what I consider Yamaha jet boats) only offer 1 engine - at least brand names that I am familiar with - four winns, glastron, regal, sea ray, chaparral etc. In which case you have to compare the size of the boat, not the number of engines. I have also thought that maintaining two engines of the Yamaha jet boats would be a pain - 2 engines = 2 oil changes, 2 impellers, 2 jet pumps, etc. leading to twice as much to maintain - again twice as many moving parts - which is why I have always thought the maintenance cost are more.

I guess at the end of the day I think of maintenance cost being equal between IO and jets, because just like anything mechanical it needs to be maintained - whether it is one engine or two. (It looks as though I might have to change my thinking on this!) And even when operating there is a potential for things breaking whether it be hitting a submerged object (IO) or sucking something up (jet)!

I apologize for my rambling and if you made it this far, thanks for allowing an IO owner have this open discussion without any bashing!! This site is truly amazing in that regard. Hopefully one day in the future I will join the ranks of Yamaha Jet boat owners and own one for myself because I do think these boats are special! :)

@JJ-B-Boatin if there were a contest for best screen name, you would have my vote! Love it. Good luck on your research and purchase, which ever way you decide to go.

Regardless of maintenance costs, I chose a jet boat for shallow water ability and safety. Every boat I had driven up to 2012 had one or two props. In 2011 I built a house on a shallow bay that is 3' to 4'. The bay is 1/2 mile wide and a mile long. With the jet drive the bay becomes a place to play rather than a dangerous area to crawl through. We kneeboard, ski, tube and surf in our shallow water.

But what I like even more than he shallow water capability is the easy and safe exit and entry on the swim deck. It is great not to have to worry about the kids cutting themselves on the prop. I had always been around props so this was not a big consideration when I was buying. But as my kids grow I have realized how much piece of mind it brings not to be worried about them being near the stern.

@JJ-B-Boatin if there were a contest for best screen name, you would have my vote! Love it. Good luck on your research and purchase, which ever way you decide to go.

Thanks! As of right now I own a 2005 Glastron GX205 with 5.0 Volvo penta engine. It currently suites our needs, is in great shape and is paid for. Being on a single income with two kids, this one is going to have to last me a while. However, knowing what I know now, if I purchase again, it will more than likely be a jet boat.

Regardless of maintenance costs, I chose a jet boat for shallow water ability and safety.

But what I like even more than he shallow water capability is the easy and safe exit and entry on the swim deck. It is great not to have to worry about the kids cutting themselves on the prop. I had always been around props so this was not a big consideration when I was buying. But as my kids grow I have realized how much piece of mind it brings not to be worried about them being near the stern.

And it is because of the reasons that Bruce lists that a jet boat will be my next boat! Safety, safety, safety! The worry of the prop with my two little kids (5 and 2.5 years old) can make what is supposed to be a relaxing fun time on the water more of a stressful fun time on the water! (Any time on the water with my family is fun time!)

I think it comes down to whether or not you follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. If you don't do any maintenance, you won't spend any money. At least while the boat is new. Probably all new boats can initially get away with very little maintenance in the first 3 - 5 years. After that, though, those items that weren't inspected/replaced/serviced will start to reveal themselves. When I was looking at an I/O, I read the service requirements and saw things like annual gimbal bearing inspection, annual motor/drive alignment, water pump impeller, accessory drive belts, etc.. To an extent, this is just the price you gotta pay to play, but there's less if this stuff on my Yamaha jet.

There are things I like about I/Os, though, and I may still own one someday. I like the quiet running, the ability to trim up and down, the low speed tracking. On my jet, I love the maneuverability at any speed, the ability to back in to the beach or float in very shallow water without fear of digging in an outdrive, the relative safety at the stern of the boat (kids jumping on and off the swim platform, etc.), the ability to surf behind the boat, etc.

It is hard to beat this

shiskabobsonswimdeck-jpg.9364

10534735_10152594884489727_380101238921980064_n.jpg

I have owned both and the reduction in maintenance is noticeable with the jet. The thing with an I/O is that it is a car engine and not originally designed to run lake water as cooling, so internal corrosion (iron block and heads) starts the minute it hits the lake. Cam.

Back