• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Maintenance Question

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Brought the boat home today to clean up and get ready for the season. I have 29 hours on the clock. I did the 10 hour service at the beginning of the 2012 season, but the season was cut short for my sons hospitalization. Last year we didn't due anything and put about 15 hours on.

What should I do starting this season? Boats running fun, fired off first crank.

I would probably change the oil. If everything else seems ok you should be fine.

I change oil every other season.

I doubt I would do anything with so few hours.

If I did, I would change oil, filters and plugs.

I would do an oil change and SeaFoam the first 2-3 tanks of fuel then see how it is running.

Sorry to hear about your son.

I personally would change the oil, filters and at least inspect the spark plugs.

Thanks all is good it turned out to be a food allergy. He is bigger than his mother now. I feel like I should do something but with so few hours I hate to waste money for no reason, part of the attraction of these boats is the limited maintenance requirements.

I think I'd treat the gas and change the oil and plugs at the end of this summer....

Thanks all is good it turned out to be a food allergy. He is bigger than his mother now. I feel like I should do something but with so few hours I hate to waste money for no reason, part of the attraction of these boats is the limited maintenance requirements.

It's $100 in materials for the oil change kits and seafoam: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/yamaha-oil-change-kit-ii-pwc-and-sportboat.aspx. It might cost a bit more if you have to buy an extractor but that is a 1 time thing: http://www.westmarine.com/oil-change-pumps/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-9-quart--11047123. I would not pull the plugs unless you suspect something because you really should change them if you pull them to get new crush rings that seem impossible to find separately.

I'm sure you would be fine either way. Maybe buy an extra set of plugs and keep them in the boat just in case you have any issues mid season. I keep a set on hand anyway just in case. You are right about these boats being so low on the maintenance.

In reality you probably don't need to do anything, just do what will make you comfortable for the season. Spare plugs is good and easy, so is burning some stabil fuel in the tank.

If anything I'd change the oil. Take a look and see how dark the oil is. If it's not too dark then wait and change it at the end of season or next year. I, like Jawsf16 change the oil every other year.

IMO, as the bluesuiter @jawsf16 suggested - I wouldn't do anything! Look at the dipstick as @PEARCE suggested, fill the tank, then just run it. You should be just fine.

Just to separate my advice on changing the oil from being simply my opinion:

You probably already know that if you use your boat a lot, regular oil changing is a must. Did you know that if you use your boat infrequently, oil changing is even more important? This is because oil can change its makeup over time, becoming acidic and destructive to internal engine parts. Either way, oil changing is important, and your engine will always run better with fresh oil in it.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/oil-changing.asp

IMO, as the bluesuiter @jawsf16 suggested - I wouldn't do anything! Look at the dipstick as @PEARCE suggested, fill the tank, then just run it. You should be just fine.
I agree with all three.

I would do an oil change, run marine grade stabil, and Yamaha Ring Free. I would do a shock treatment on the Ring Free and storage ratio on the stabil. Plugs can wait, but I change them seasonally. Your right, these boats require very little maintenance, but they do require some. I like "preventive" better than "reactive". The post above by @davel501 is right on the money. The engine and fuel tank will get some condensation in them...especially in our climate, so changing it is more to remove that than because the oil is bad. I am betting your oil isn't even dark...but I don't want any internal rust on rings, valve seats, or cam lobes. A couple of hours and $100 puts you good for another year.

Oil change is so easy and so cheap I don't understand any debate really...hours, heat, time sitting, acid, etc...does it really matter? I change at beginning and toward the end of the season. I change the plugs every season. Others don't and I'm not concerned about them really. I enjoy doing it and it's cheap.

Does anyone but me use a set of plugs for winterization fogging and keep a set for summer use?

Does anyone but me use a set of plugs for winterization fogging and keep a set for summer use?

I don't fog. I know it might be a recommendation now and I may consider. Normally we could run through mid October and the occasional lake trip during a nice day in the winter and typically will start the season in April. This year was atypical for us.

This year was atypical for us.
SO TRUE :arghh:
I usually start in April but I haven't had my boat out yet this year. I hope to take the boat out this weekend for the first time this year. Will you be on Lake Ray Hubbard this weekend?

Back