• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

mooring whips installed

Nice.
Rather than having fenders hanging from your boat, I would mount a string of fenders horizontally from the dock. You're always gonna keep fenders on board, but mounting them to the dock would be 1 less thing to do when coming in or departing.

Nice!

But your boat is getting wet! :-)

Nic
Nice.
Rather than having fenders hanging from your boat, I would mount a string of fenders horizontally from the dock. You're always gonna keep fenders on board, but mounting them to the dock would be 1 less thing to do when coming in or departing.
I normally do have several mounted.. I have different dock this year and still working on getting it in order...

han having fenders hanging from your boat, I would mount a string of fenders horizontally from the dock. You're always gonna keep fenders on board, but mounting them to the dock would be 1 less thing to do when coming in or departing.
I normally do have several mounted to the dock.. just have not had time to get everything in order yet.

That would make me nervous.... I could see the damn thing coming loose during a big storm and floating out into the lake. I know it wouldn't, at least for anyone except me, Murphy thinks he is my best friend!

It looks great though, and should really protect the hull from bouncing against the dock.

Nice.
Got the bumpers mounted... now time to go try them out...IMG_20140610_142846_520.jpg

I am no expert, but in reading about mooring whips, it talks about the proper amount of tension on the whip, and in other pics, I see that the whip is pulled into a curve more, and that tension is what keeps the boat stationary in the wind and waves. It seems the more tension, the more strength...to a point. Also, the more tension, the closer to the dock you can get it without fear of it hitting it. So if you left the upper rigging as is, and pulled the boat closer to the dock with the lower line, it should, in theory, tighten the whip adding a curve of resistance, and shorten the lines total length by shortening the bottom leg. Just an observation and by no means an expert recommendation. But I have a few pics I found and they all have more curve and resistance in the whip, pulling the boat away from the dock more.
Mooring-Whips.jpg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Again, not a critique at all, just looking at other pics and reading about them. Nice rig nonetheless!

I am no expert, but in reading about mooring whips, it talks about the proper amount of tension on the whip, and in other pics, I see that the whip is pulled into a curve more, and that tension is what keeps the boat stationary in the wind and waves. It seems the more tension, the more strength...to a point. Also, the more tension, the closer to the dock you can get it without fear of it hitting it. So if you left the upper rigging as is, and pulled the boat closer to the dock with the lower line, it should, in theory, tighten the whip adding a curve of resistance, and shorten the lines total length by shortening the bottom leg. Just an observation and by no means an expert recommendation. But I have a few pics I found and they all have more curve and resistance in the whip, pulling the boat away from the dock more.
View attachment 6983
View attachment 6984
Again, not a critique at all, just looking at other pics and reading about them. Nice rig nonetheless!
I was going to say the same.

It's worth a try...

I feel bad tho, it is really a nice setup and it takes a bit to get the hang of anything...I didn't want it to sound critical at all. I am jealous too! Those certainly will prevent dock rash completely!

Very nice setup.

View attachment 6983
View attachment 6984

Wow, way to crush the new guys! Makes me miss that other forum admin a little. Nah who am I kidding, just giving you a hard time Mel! ;) @txav8r

That's ok, I'm giving myself a hard time too...

If we didn't care, we would just say, "Looks nice," and move on.

I hope constructive comments are always welcomed!

Just to be clear, I don't know how tight it is supposed to be or have any experience with the mooring whips. But from my perspective it looks like a great solution on your dock @Trm1765 and your 100% more experienced with them than me! My comments were based on observations from pictures I saw just out of curiosity, and not from anything else. I could have written my responses better and posed them as questions instead of how it came across. I could have edited my post to remove the overtones I didn't like that I had posted, but it tends to leave gaps in the conversation, as you could see, several comments followed about my comments. The nature of this forum is helpful and constructive and in no way is any one of us enough of an expert to dictate anything. It is the combined knowledge that we share together that makes us all better off.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the tension on the whips and what kind of results you have. X2 on what @tdonoughue said, your input to our comments is how we all learn. And it looks like to me, that in a more open channel or unprotected area, the whips would be a great solution!

Back