• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Most economical Mods?

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Before we got back into boating we rode sidexsides and the forum I frequented then had this thread...Post up your best and cheapest mods (preferably with photos).

thrust vectors xl....sorry no pics...lottsa rain here.

(LOL) Now you are talking my language. Cheap maybe, but I like to call it being frugal.....head storage in previous topic.....quick release flag mount in previous post.

Here is how I solved the problem with the head door not staying open, it drove my wife crazy. I used a 1 inch circular magnetic door latch rated at 40 pounds of holding strength which seems to be the right strength. I also install the door bin on the inside of the head door to hide the magnet mounting screw. On the head wall I used a piece of PVC house trim to create a wedge at 8 degrees so the latch washer will be at the same angle as the door magnet. The screw through the latch washer and PVC trim is 3/4 inch and just barely goes through the fiberglass and does not come through the carpet on the inside.

I did this mod 2 years ago and we still enjoy it. Now the door does not close on the wife when the boat rocks. I have since painted the magnet and washer white which makes them now almost unnoticable.

The magnet latch cost $8.00 and I had the PVC trim left over from a different project.

Head Door Stop 1.JPG

Head Door Stop 2.JPG

Head Door Stop 3.JPG
Bottom left mount screw changed to bolt to hold the magnet.
Head Door Stop 4.JPG

Looking down from above the head door with it open and held by the magnetic latch.
Head Door Stop 5.JPG

On my boat it is probably the pipe insulation I used to seal off the engine compartment opening with, under $20 at Home Depot. Not sure how much it helps but it has to be better than what I had stock and it's in use whenever the boat is running. I forgot about the cam locks I added to the head compartment and helm doors, $6 each at McMaster Carr.

On the trailer, it's the boat buckles but cheap is a relative term, these things were around $80 I think and the stainless models are more. Scratch that, it's the magnetic D key, $12 on ebay. I'll take a post pics tomorrow.

I didn't get pics of the D keys or Cobra Locks but I did manage to get some of the cam locks and the various mounts I've installed (i.e., ram mount for the Garmin Echo, another for the mini ipad and two for the gopros). By the way, the Ram mounts are the least economical, they know how to stick it you (each part sold separately) but again, its all relative a $60 RAM mount seems cheap next to a 6 channel amp, $300 for tint, etc.

P5072939.JPG
P5072940.JPG
P5072942.JPG

P5072941.JPG

Attachments

• P5072943.JPG
    P5072943.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It's hard to use "economical" and "mods" in the same sentence. The cobra fins is usually the first and most important mod to do. Cam.

Gas? Oh sorry, we said cheap mods!

LEDLights $200
Tow point light - Navisafe Navi Light $80
image.jpg

One of the cheapest mod I ever did, easiest to install, and provides $$$ worth of protection. Cobra EZ Locks on the clean out plugs prevent blowouts. A few pics of why and what they are...ezlocks_twin.jpgDSCN2247 (Medium).JPG DSCN2252 (Medium).JPG DSCN2253 (Medium).JPG ez lock pins not yet touching.jpg ez lock tip to tip.jpg
IMO, these should be on every clean out plug.

Noodle fixes...fill the table mount holes to prevent water from filling...install a SS 1/8" x 2" welding rod into the transom drain plug to make wrench free...store the transom drain plug in the swim deck noodle mod when not in use...fill the old style table legs with noodle to prevent them from sinking...cover table legs with large diameter noodle when storing them...use large diameter noodle across the top of the windshield to prevent chaffing of frame and cover...use large diameter noodle to cover hinge assembly on bimini during transit

DSCN0694resize.JPG

DSCN0696resize.JPG DSCN0699resize crop.jpg DSCN0976 (Medium).JPG DSCN1730 (Medium).JPG

Do SMILES count?

Jetboaters.net

Keep giggling until they do!!

After 9 hours of detailing the boat today, I think my next mod will be a DA polisher. Man I am worn out...

Nice but economical?

I guess it was to me. The factory 360 light was always a PITA to attach and detach which usually ended in bloody knuckles. The new Navi light didn't require any wires as it is powered with battery's, the base is glued onto the tower and the actual light has built in magnets, I just bring out the light whenver I need to use it.

Here is how I solved the problem with the head door not staying open, it drove my wife crazy. I used a 1 inch circular magnetic door latch rated at 40 pounds of holding strength which seems to be the right strength. I also install the door bin on the inside of the head door to hide the magnet mounting screw. On the head wall I used a piece of PVC house trim to create a wedge at 8 degrees so the latch washer will be at the same angle as the door magnet. The screw through the latch washer and PVC trim is 3/4 inch and just barely goes through the fiberglass and does not come through the carpet on the inside.

I did this mod 2 years ago and we still enjoy it. Now the door does not close on the wife when the boat rocks. I have since painted the magnet and washer white which makes them now almost unnoticable.

The magnet latch cost $8.00 and I had the PVC trim left over from a different project.

View attachment 4651

View attachment 4652

View attachment 4653
Bottom left mount screw changed to bolt to hold the magnet.
View attachment 4654

Looking down from above the head door with it open and held by the magnetic latch.
View attachment 4655

That's pretty slick, very nice fit/finish.

Putting a noddle on top of windshield to protect the cover is pretty inexpensive too.

Back