• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving advice: Midwest -> Florida (or Atlanta)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
does the Gulf ever go calm to glass like an inland lake does from time to time?
It's rare but I've been a few miles out and when it's like glass. Need a calm east wind <5mph, typically in Fall.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have been to Florida several times over the last few years and I am really enjoying it. Albeit mostly around the Orlando Area. We are really looking forward to going down this summer to Navarre and Destin. I could definitely see us moving somewhere down in Florida eventually. I want to check out SW Florida and the Keys as well. Caveat..... Ex Wife lives somewhere in Miami, so that would be a no go :rolleyes:

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had my sx240 on the Gulf at least three times in the last 12 months. However, I mostly stay in the waters protected from the Gulf by the Cayo Costa, Boca Grand, and Captiva islands. But if I was retired and had more time, there are plenty of days where I would feel comfortable on the Gulf with my boat. Of course I would not be going 15+ miles out in the Gulf...guess that is just me being chicken. Weather can change bad real fast down here, especially in the summer. I like to see land at all times. :)

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Because Politics could play a significant part where someone may move to and if it isn't one of things on the checklist, you get what you get. I can assure you there are states, cities as well as countries I would absolutely not move under any circumstances, because their political agenda, govenmental agencies, schools, politicians, as well as other officials are not aligned with my views and what I believe in, how I want to live and for my families well being. I live where I live, because at this time I really have no other choice, but when the day comes I plan on moving since this area and state, at this time, is not aligned with who I am and my political views on a great many things. Furthermore, I do not like the way Michigan handles their funds and takes care of their roads, cities as well as a great deal of the public land and outdoors, and many other things. It makes me sad. Perhaps these will change over time.
I have lived in many different parts of this country, and could tell you the good and bad of everwhere I have lived. Different strokes for different folks, but I have never made a decision on where I lived based on an alignment of political views. A lot of what is important in our lives are the non-political issues that bind us together in a society. My decisions have been made on job opportunities, cost of housing, educational opportunities, access to medical care, and recreational activities. I don't really care is a state is red, blue, or purple.

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have lived in many different parts of this country, and could tell you the good and bad of everwhere I have lived. Different strokes for different folks, but I have never made a decision on where I lived based on an alignment of political views. A lot of what is important in our lives are the non-political issues that bind us together in a society. My decisions have been made on job opportunities, cost of housing, educational opportunities, access to medical care, and recreational activities. I don't really care is a state is red, blue, or purple.

Jim

Thats great that it doesn't matter to you and is not a factor. I always say each to their own. I personally find it hard to be happy in an area, or part of anything that I cannot believe in or support, whatever that may be since it creeps into everything, including housing, jobs, culture, education, as of last two years what mandates are and are not implored, what type of recreational activities are available and how they are regulated, etc. etc.

Individuals should determine what will make them happy and what criteria they will use when looking for a place to live.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To the OP, if I were trying to make this decision, one of the things I would look at is housing costs and what I could afford. If boating is very high up on your list, do you want to live on or near the water? If you want to live on the water, I would suggest you consider what your housing options (at your budget) would be on a Georgian lake, like Lanier or Altoona vs maybe a canal home on one of the Florida coasts. Of course, if you don't live on the water, the options become even more plentiful in both areas.

Have you previously been to either the Atlanta or Tampa areas? If not, perhaps it might be worth visiting for a week? You could get a general feel for an area in a week's time. IF you already have been to both areas, then this is a plus.

Jim

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats great that it doesn't matter to you and is not a factor. I always say each to their own. I personally find it hard to be happy in an area, or part of anything that I cannot believe in or support, whatever that may be since it creeps into everything, including housing, jobs, culture, education, as of last two years what mandates are and are not implored, what type of recreational activities are available and how they are regulated, etc. etc.

Individuals should determine what will make them happy and what criteria they will use when looking for a place to live.
Great thing about the USA.....you can vote with your FEET! :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve been on the gulf in my boat with hardly any wind and excellent tidal conditions and it was like a dream. Water for miles as glassy as a lake. Well not quite as glassy but still pretty dang flat. There were a few videos of the Bimini crossings one year and I can’t remember the year but some got super lucky and had very flat conditions crossing the Atlantic. It’s rare but can happen. I think a 19’ Yamaha would be fine so long as far offshore trips weren’t an everyday trip. If it were I’d look for a larger boat. Sticking to the Gulf within a few miles or ICW cruising a 19’ would be right at home :). If I were OP I wouldn’t fret over the 19’ and see how it goes. If you find it a little too bouncy or rough you can offload the boat no problem in this market and upgrade.
100%. This past year was our first crossing over. The way there was...sporty...to put it nicely lol. Took us about 4.5h on the way there with our 23', a handful of folks turned back. On the way back? Glass. It was beautiful and our crew zipped back at 75% throttle (kept it lighter just to conserve fuel and because we wanted to). Could've easily kicked it into full gear. Absolutely depends on the weather, same in the gulf/bay. There have been mornings in the bay where I've pushed it at full throttle and it's a dream.

Most folks in my area just keep their boats their lifts. I sold my trailer when I got here because can't keep in the driveway, didn't fit in my garage, and would cost $1200 a year for field storage. Not that looked too much into it, but I hear Boatel (high & dry) storage can get expensive and hard to find in SW Florida.
This is 100% true. I'm in a high and dry now paying $400/mo and there's 0 availability anywhere. What's worse is the marina owners absolutely know that's the case, so they can treat you like garbage and that there's nothing you can do about it...truly unfortunate.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For y'all who keep you boats on lifts and don't have a trailer, do you any difficulty in getting your Yamaha's serviced?

Jim

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I currently live in the Northern suburbs of Atlanta and we boat on Allatoona, love it And Lanier is nothing to sneeze at, big and fun. I grew up in the Northern suburbs of Detroit boating on 500 to 1200 acre lakes, Allatoona and Lanier was a nice change. Both lakes get very busy but once you learn the lakes you'll know were to go and not go.

Now when it comes to Florida I am not a huge fan. My parents live in Ft Myers and I've been there many times in the summer and its brutal humidity and heat. Maybe it my Northern blood still running thru my veins, but it is HOT! Don't get me wrong I would move to Florida before moving some place further north but damn South Fl gets hot.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I currently live in the Northern suburbs of Atlanta and we boat on Allatoona, love it And Lanier is nothing to sneeze at, big and fun. I grew up in the Northern suburbs of Detroit boating on 500 to 1200 acre lakes, Allatoona and Lanier was a nice change. Both lakes get very busy but once you learn the lakes you'll know were to go and not go.

Now when it comes to Florida I am not a huge fan. My parents live in Ft Myers and I've been there many times in the summer and its brutal humidity and heat. Maybe it my Northern blood still running thru my veins, but it is HOT! Don't get me wrong I would move to Florida before moving some place further north but damn South Fl gets hot.
Before I relocated to Florida I stayed in all area for a month in my RV before making a choice, I noticed Gulf Coast is hotter in the summer, in the atlantic side the sea breeze tends to cool the air (still hot but bearable to me).

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Midwesterner here — lots of experience in both Atlanta and Tampa. As everyone has said ATL traffic is a nightmare. Especially living on the Northside and commuting to airport. Lakes are great, but far prefer Gulf waters. ATL Not for me.
Tampa has lots of options for airport proximity including Gulf accessibly. More year around boating than ATL. No problem in Gulf/bay if you watch the weather. Lots of places to trailer including the keys. We own and winter in SWFL Naples/Ft Myers.
Good luck!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My avatar pic is the gulf side of
Shell Island by Panama City, I had several trips out there where it was just flat like that during the 2 years I was there!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have been to Florida several times over the last few years and I am really enjoying it. Albeit mostly around the Orlando Area. We are really looking forward to going down this summer to Navarre and Destin. I could definitely see us moving somewhere down in Florida eventually. I want to check out SW Florida and the Keys as well. Caveat..... Ex Wife lives somewhere in Miami, so that would be a no go :rolleyes:
no joke on the X... Youngest daughter just informed me last week that the X moved to Port Ritchie FL.... thats gettin close and im running out of runway :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For y'all who keep you boats on lifts and don't have a trailer, do you any difficulty in getting your Yamaha's serviced?

Jim
Yup. I just paid $375 for a Cape Coral Yamaha jet boat dealer to pull my boat and trailer it to their place. I think they got me for 2 1/4 hours for that.
I had to have my impeller housings replaced. I decided to drive the boat back to house after it was fixed. Figured the $125 +/- in gas was better than paying them $375 to trailer it. So all in on this repair was $1900 I think. Which was (knock on wood) the only real big repair bill that I have had with a Yamaha jet boat over the last 15 plus years.

In hindsight, there was another company that would have pulled it out of the water and rented me their trailer for a week for about $300. I could have had them put in my driveway and changed the housings myself. But I am trying NOT to do stuff like that anymore. I probably could get away with having the boat in my driveway for a few days.

There are a bunch of mechanics down here that will do maintenance and certian repairs with the boat is on the lift.

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jim
I hang my boat on davits normally and when I wanna work on it I cut up an old boat trailer and made a bunk that looks like a patio deck stained to match the house for service work and I doo ALL my own service work... haven't used the trailer in 5 years...

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I grew up Upstate NY then moved to Maryland in my early 30's. Moved to SW FL a couple years ago. To be honest summer in Southern MD is just about as humid & hot as SW Florida summer. BUT I think SW Florida summer might be 2 months longer :) The BIG lesson I finally learned with surviving the humidity down here is the type of clothing you select. June thru September down here I have to wear those moisture wicking shirts and shorts. The shorts with those inner lining (DEMOZU Men's 5 Inch Running Shorts Lightweight Quick Dry Athletic Tennis Workout Gym Shorts with Pockets) SO you don't need underwear! HaHa! In July down here- Five minutes outside with regular briefs on its like wearing a freaking wet diaper! :D

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I'm an airline pilot by trade......
I do not see how many people in this forum will recommend GA over FL, but instead of us deciding your future, dont you think maybe you will be better served to ask your family where they want to be ? Better yet, take a couple of days and yall go visit both places and see which ones feel 'home'.