• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen the 14's under 50K out the door the last boat show I was at I was offered one for 48K. The steal is still the AR or SX I have seen those near $40K but if you want the new features get the 15 I' still sold on it even at the price difference I like the higher free board in the front.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'd go for a '15.....sound reduction, keel & rudder, storage are all awesome features!
And the CONNEXT System is the BOMB !
And the Hinged Seats !
And the new extra storage lockers !~
And the TWIN real, reclining Captain's Chairs !
And ................ LOL !
It's all GOOD ... Best Wishes for a good decision - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
10k is a lot of fuel and beer.
Just saying.

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
man oh man. you guys/gals didn't make this any easier on me!

so, I was definitely on the fence before I started this thread. your feedback has pushed me over one side of that fence!

I went to visit the dealer yesterday and I walked and inspected both boats. It was a misty, rainy day so that did not help. The 2015 was nicely tucked inside the showroom. The 2014 was outside and barely covered.

Evidwarf, I may need to borrow some cash from you for the the beer/fuel!

After much debate, thinking, wobbling, wondering, I pulled the trigger and went with the 2015!

After I made the deal i asked to get a brand spanking new vessel. I did not want to get the one sitting in the show room. The owner of the dealer (great guy btw) took me for a ride and showed my brand new yacht blue sitting all wrapped up in the storage area. I did get to touch her !

After coming home and sleeping on it I think it was a good decision for me. 3 things that sold me on it:

1. the deeper hull - it's noticeable!
2. the technology ( I'm a tech buy by training)
3. The Keel and better steering - I'm a newbie and will need all the help I can get ( I may still to add some more stuff from the jetboat dude, but you guys will let me know in time if that will help or it's needed)

I'm now working on getting my boat lift installed. (btw, should I go with 6k pounds or 8K?, the differince is probably $1k). I'm planning ahead when Yamaha comes out with the 28 footer :)

I'm hoping to get this all done by mid May and get delivery by then.

Thank you all for your thoughtful and knowledgeable input! It's very much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to being an active member of this board.

ps. I was going to take pictures of her sitting there in the rain but my iphone ran out of battery! I'm not kidding either. I will post some pics in due time. thanks again!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats!!! You will not regret it!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW- If you didn't get a mooring cover, I have a brand new one for sale in the Classified section - really, really cheap!

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
do I need one? he's setting me up with a custom bow and stern cover.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is definitely personal preference. This has long been debated. Bow and Cockpit Cover with Snaps or the mooring cover? The mooring cover is our choice for the fact that it takes us just a couple minutes to remove or deploy and there are no snaps to deal with. Is your custom cover one that uses snaps?

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe so. The dealer told me I would need that type of cover given that I'm leaving the boat on the lift. My house where the boat will live is on a lagooon.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The mooring cover is awesome. But it's a pain in the ass to put on when the boat is in a slip. Seeing as your keeping her on a lift - I would imagine it would be the same. Will your lift have a roof/canopy of some sort?
As for your lift question - If it was my money, I'd get the bigger 8k lift. Not that you'll need it with your Yamaha - BUT - you never know what might catch your eye down the road. Get the lift that can handle an upgrade now. Paying that $1k difference now will surely be cheaper than changing it out down the road if your 28'er comes around.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is in a slip with lift and I use mooring cover. Either will work. Simply comes down to preference.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe so. The dealer told me I would need that type of cover given that I'm leaving the boat on the lift. My house where the boat will live is on a lagooon.
Some have said the 2 piece is easier to work with on a lift, so I understand why he said that. With the mooring cover it may be harder to use the ratched to tighten the cover if you have to lean in from the dock. If the sides at the stern (where the ratchet is) are easily accessible it would be just as simple to work with as the 2 piece cover with the snaps.

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is no roof or cover over the lift. He said the cover was $1200 and included in the deal. He told me I will use the shipping cover for storage in the offseason. No need for wrapping it.

I think I will go with the 8k pound lift. Good advice

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is no roof or cover over the lift. He said the cover was $1200 and included in the deal. He told me I will use the shipping cover for storage in the offseason. No need for wrapping it.

I think I will go with the 8k pound lift. Good advice
Glad it was included because $1200 is almost double of what it should cost.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The shipping cover is good to have, but there is no way I'd use it specifically for a winter cover.
1) it doesn't seal around the tower very well, at least mine doesn't. It leaves large gaps. Granted you can add take around the tower legs.
2) it doesn't breathe. You can add vents to it.
3) I don't think it would hold up to the amounts of snow we get in winter.

I have never used the shipping cover. I tried it, but I just don't like it.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My Crownline came with a bow & cockpit cover. I found that rain would run down the windshield and trickle into the bow area. I ended up changing it over to a 1 piece cover using the existing snaps.

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase!

Something to consider...if your slip is at all oversized, it can be very difficult if not dangerous to lean over the pier far enough to secure a more traditional mooring cover. It's even worse if wind is a factor or you're working by yourself.

My slip is 13ft wide and I finally broke down and installed a 2-piece snap cover a few weeks ago...so much easier to work with--quick, one person job, stores nice and compact, easy access to any area of the boat without having to undo tension straps, etc. I don't think any of us particularly like the thought of drilling extra holes, the potential for spider cracks, broken snaps, etc. but the lift is all about convenience and a snap cover makes it that much quicker to get on the water.

Definitely go with the bigger lift motor if you have the option. Wire it with a GEM remote and at 240v while you're at it. :)

Looking forward to seeing pics!