• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

need good plug and play option stereo replacement AR230 2007

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2007 AR230 with a torched head unit. Not sure why it doesn't work, but I'm guessing it's not worth pouring over. Just want to know if there are better brands to replace the stereo with that will plug into the existing wiring harness without any splicing. Thanks so much for the help/advice.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a stock stereo laying around if you need one....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you check the fuse behind the HU?
Also, if the previous owner wired in a line to the battery to maintain the presets...do you have it hooked to the right terminal (don't ask me how I know this prevents an HU from working!!! D'Oh!)

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check the fuse behind the HU?
Also, if the previous owner wired in a line to the battery to maintain the presets...do you have it hooked to the right terminal (don't ask me how I know this prevents an HU from working!!! D'Oh!)
I have not checked the fuses yet. Wasn't sure where they were hiding. I will give that a look and if not, will probably just get an aftermarket head unit and rewire it as another member had done. It'd be nice to have something new-er regardless. Thanks for the help.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have not checked the fuses yet. Wasn't sure where they were hiding. I will give that a look and if not, will probably just get an aftermarket head unit and rewire it as another member had done. It'd be nice to have something new-er regardless. Thanks for the help.
Just thought you might want to see if you can get it running...then you aren't in a rush to replace and deal with replacing remotes. Typically there is a fuse right in the back of the HU, or very close to the HU inline on the main power line.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just thought you might want to see if you can get it running...then you aren't in a rush to replace and deal with replacing remotes. Typically there is a fuse right in the back of the HU, or very close to the HU inline on the main power line.
Def want to see if I can get it running...always enough other things to spend the money on.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a Fusion IP600G which is a couple of generations old now. The 600G is available for quite reasonable prices now. The newer models have more features and higher prices.

The biggest issue I had with the installation is that the opening for the head unit is oversize. @JetBoatPilot made an adapter plate for me which he now sells as a product. The adapter plate makes it possible to install any DIN sized head unit.

You can find more info on the adapter plate and my install at https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-2007-stereo-head-unit-opening-is-not-din-sized-it-is-too-large.40

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce

I've been eyeing the 600g as an upgrade, believe that the bt100 and wired remote are good compliments to the head unit. Can you comment on this? Most of listening would be streaming audio or radio sources for us.

Thanks
Mark

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Once you get the HU up and running, you may discover that the stock SeaWorthy speakers are shot as well. They are paper, and if the boat has been neglected a little, they will be shot. A cheap replacement and upgrade is the Polk DB651.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once you get the HU up and running, you may discover that the stock SeaWorthy speakers are shot as well. They are paper, and if the boat has been neglected a little, they will be shot. A cheap replacement and upgrade is the Polk DB651.
Mel,

I'm planning JL MX650 and a package with earmark for the rest. I wanted to get a smaller piece knocked out with Santa as gift for myself and was targeting the HU only for now. I appreciate the point and input as OP's speakers are prolly shot like mine too.

Thanks
Mark

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce

I've been eyeing the 600g as an upgrade, believe that the bt100 and wired remote are good compliments to the head unit. Can you comment on this? Most of listening would be streaming audio or radio sources for us.

Thanks
Mark
We love our IP600G. We replaced the factory remote on the swim deck with a MS-WR600 Fusion wired remote. The remote works great. The IP600G and remote have survived two years and two trips to Bimini and still look new and function perfectly.

I would pass on the BT100 Bluetooth receiver. I have two of them. The first was installed with the IP600G. I mistakingly installed it where it was always on. Over the 2013 to 2014 winter its constant drain damaged a battery that I neglected to disconnect. Sometime during the 2014 to 2015 winter the battery was on a charger and the BT100 failed. The second is installed on on the kids playground sound system. It is outside 24/7 with no protection from the sun or rain and is holding up well after a year. It is switched on and off with the stereo.

In 2015 I initially switched to using a Sorbent Airplay (DLNA) adapter. This device works over WiFi. It creates it's own WiFi network for your phones, tablets, etc to connect to and stream over. I find it to have longer range, better audio quality, to be easier to work with and be less expensive. You can learn more about it at https://jetboaters.net/threads/apple-airplay-on-boat-22.4884 .

Now I am using a Raspberry Pi with Rune Audio as a music player and to provide DLNA and WiFi on the boat.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@mark_m , the JL MX650 is a huge upgrade from stock and even a big upgrade over the Polk DB651 I was mentioning above. I have JL Audio components in my boat and love them, but they are big money compared to just getting an old unit running or replacing an HU. I have the Fusion iP700 in my boat and love the HU and remote. But that is a $500 HU and additional for the remote. My factory HU was broken along with the remote, and Yamaha gave me a $500 credit toward the unit of my choice. So it was a no brainer for me. If a guy wants a stereo he can hear clearly when running, he is going to have to add power behind it, and a speaker that can deliver the signal clearly. My '08 SX230 had a single JL M700/5 channel amp and I used the factory HU and remote, driving 6 JL MX650's. It was a great setup. My '12 SX240 has 8 of those speakers, so I have two amps driving them all with optimal power, and the HU is the mentioned iP700 and matching remote. The Polk DB651 is just a good replacement speaker, but it is capable of more production than the stock speakers ever were. The stock speakers on the 230's fail long before the HU does, so that is why I am saying that the OP probably has that to deal with too. I find my iPod enclosed in the iP700 all too easy and don't bother streaming via BT, but I have that also. It is all about what works for you!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a Fusion IP600G which is a couple of generations old now. The 600G is available for quite reasonable prices now. The newer models have more features and higher prices.

The biggest issue I had with the installation is that the opening for the head unit is oversize. @JetBoatPilot made an adapter plate for me which he now sells as a product. The adapter plate makes it possible to install any DIN sized head unit.

You can find more info on the adapter plate and my install at https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-2007-stereo-head-unit-opening-is-not-din-sized-it-is-too-large.40
Bruce,

Thanks! This is perfect. I will look to Santa to get the 600g and remote and skip the Bluetooth adapter. Thanks for the feedback!

Mark

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@mark_m , the JL MX650 is a huge upgrade from stock and even a big upgrade over the Polk DB651 I was mentioning above. I have JL Audio components in my boat and love them, but they are big money compared to just getting an old unit running or replacing an HU. I have the Fusion iP700 in my boat and love the HU and remote. But that is a $500 HU and additional for the remote. My factory HU was broken along with the remote, and Yamaha gave me a $500 credit toward the unit of my choice. So it was a no brainer for me. If a guy wants a stereo he can hear clearly when running, he is going to have to add power behind it, and a speaker that can deliver the signal clearly. My '08 SX230 had a single JL M700/5 channel amp and I used the factory HU and remote, driving 6 JL MX650's. It was a great setup. My '12 SX240 has 8 of those speakers, so I have two amps driving them all with optimal power, and the HU is the mentioned iP700 and matching remote. The Polk DB651 is just a good replacement speaker, but it is capable of more production than the stock speakers ever were. The stock speakers on the 230's fail long before the HU does, so that is why I am saying that the OP probably has that to deal with too. I find my iPod enclosed in the iP700 all too easy and don't bother streaming via BT, but I have that also. It is all about what works for you!
Mel,

Thanks! That's my plan for next stage... Speaks, sub amp, wires. I'm trying to buy in stages; like my better half with clothes, lol

Thanks
Mark

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Weebs74 I just picked up HU that we've been chatting about, with bluetooth dongle included and the circular remote online. While it is not the latest and greatest, it fits my needs nicely. I have at least two of the older iPod touch models with the legacy dock that will be perfect for the boat. In addition, they are throwing in the dongle so connecting with iPhone or other device via BT should be straightforward.

Bruce thanks for the feedback!

Mel, will take on the other bits after the holiday.

Thanks
Mark