• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 1999 LS2000 Owner-What do I have, pics and questions

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased this 1999 LS2000 a couple weeks ago. Appearance wise it seems to be in great shaped. Seats are pretty much flawless, windshield are good, the hull is in great shape and everything seems really clean overall. I'm supposed to be the 3rd owner. The guy I bought it from had it for about a year. He said could never get it to run right. Both engines would stall if he tried to get on them hard. Both engines start pretty quick and seem to run fine though I haven't let them run for more than 20 seconds or so because I don't have a hose near where the boat is sitting for now. Compression on all cylinders seems to run from about 85 to 90 psi. I know that's on the lower end. Would you rebuild the top end before running this next season or do you think I could get one year out of it? Do you think the compression will come up any if I get a little run time on it or should the rings be free just from me messing with it? I don't think it's run much at all in the past year. My preliminary plan was to pull the carbs and look them over real well, rebuild if necessary and see how she runs. Unfortunately I live almost an hour from where I can put this in the water so when it comes time to be testing I can't running back to my garage quickly.

Here are some pictures and I have some additional questions below.

The engine bay seems quite clean. Looks like all the oil lines have been replaced. They are nice and soft and are clamped well on the carbs.

It has a single battery setup. Though I don't see myself having a lot of lights or big stereo that would drain the battery it seems like a second battery might be a good idea for peace of mind.

Is this speaker original or an option? It's mounted under the starboard console. It looks like there was also under the port console though it's no longer there.

Does anyone know what these wire would be for? The one with multiple wire seems to be tied into the stereo but I don't know what it might have been hooked to. The wire with the big metal end seems like coax. It runs up to a metal fitting on the top of the hull but it's cut. Maybe some sort of antenna?

Are these front speakers original? They match the rears but I thought I read front speakers didn't come on the LS2000. The stereo is the original Kenwood but I can't get it to work. It just says PROTECT on it. The manual says that is caused by a speaker short but I unplugged the 4 round speakers and it still says that.

Is this cleanout plug holddown original? I've seen lots of talk of them blowing out. This seems very secure but haven't come across another like it. Didn't know if it's a kit made by someone or homemade?

Any other comments, tips, etc would be appreciated. My experience is with Jet Skis. This is my first boat. Honestly I won't be doing much with this till spring as I promised my wife I would finish renovating our house first and that will probably take till spring. Then my plan is to try and get this thing running well, then start modding. I'd like to add a wake tower, maybe thrust vectors and it will get a wrap to update the graphics since that is what I do for a living.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That extra speaker is an add on....looks like it might be an external speaker for a vhf radio. Those wires are for a vhf radio.

That plug hold down is home made.

Dual batteries do add peace of mind.

I'd want to work on it over the winter rather than hope it works next year.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That extra speaker is an add on....looks like it might be an external speaker for a vhf radio. Those wires are for a vhf radio.

That plug hold down is home made.

Dual batteries do add peace of mind.

I'd want to work on it over the winter rather than hope it works next year.
Thank you. All that about the VF radio stuff makes sense. Original owner must have had one and removed it. I'll remove the remaining evidence.

I'd much prefer to be working hard on this now but we're a year in on a major house renovation. When I finish the bathroom I'm working on I will move on to the final bit big project of the kitchen. Then I can get back to projects I like more like cars and boats.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Agree with the vhf. A top end rebuild isn't hard onthose motors at all if you have someone that has some engine knowledge. And a manual.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with the vhf. A top end rebuild isn't hard onthose motors at all if you have someone that has some engine knowledge. And a manual.
I haven't done a top end rebuild yet but will be doing one soon on my jet ski so I can get that fixed and sold. I have an owner's manual but not a service manual yet.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would suggest considering spin on fuel filters after you rebuild the carbs. I find the carburators are so sensitive to dirt and soot that the spin on water filters greatly lengthen the life of the carbs going forward.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Primers are nice too. Keeps the oil in the motor like it should be.
Island racing has this type of stuff

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look's like a great start for a boat and these are real easy and inexpensive to fix. I would add fuel/water separators, in place of fuel filters. I would also add the groupK fuel pump/air separator so you don't have any lean instances which happens if you don't have a fuel pump. Other than that, you will want to see if there are any leaks from the intermediate bearing assembly that mates up to the engine compartment wall.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The front speakers were available as a dealer installed option.
All of the boats came with with wiring for front speakers installed.

I think the 99’s came with an odd ball threaded clean out port. Don’t lose them as they are hard to replace.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I bought my boat with knowing the compression was on the low side, But the engines ran fine. Got three seasons out it. Though I just had an engine stall at high speed. And it looks like it either caught a ring or a bearing went as I have ZERO compression on one cylinder and a dented piston top.

Funny thing is the engine still runs and idles fine.

...depending on what damage I find it might cost an $500 or so to fix vs if I had redone the top end before.

Blazinrab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a 1999 Ls2000. The cleanout plugs you have are the originals. They Screw into the cleanout holes and have the metal retaining bar to hold them in place. Yamaha should never have changed this style to a compression style plug. I've never had a problem with a plug blowing out or coming loose. The compression style always have problems. Eliminate your oil injection system and go to premix. I lost one of my engines because a tie wrap, (Yamaha used to secure oil lines to the injection ports) broke off and one of my oil injection tubes came loose. Great Boat!! You'll have
a lot of fun.