• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2016 Yamaha E-Series Options Described with lots of photos!

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Julian & @Bruce .....Great job guys and thanks. It's fun to look at all of the new technology. It's hard to believe that my boat was the flagship just 7 years ago, and now look at what Yamaha has to offer.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Carpeting??? Ewww...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did they really not add GPS navigation? Wtf.
I agree with you but I think that the vast majority of owners don't care for the cost of one being built in because they like specific brands with specifics capabilities. Take cars for an example, I see tons of cars that have built in GPS systems using a Garmin suction cupped to the windshield. Between this reason and the increased MSRP cost which could affect comparison charts is why you may never see a standard GPS on a boat this size. However, I do think they should offer the GPS as a dealer add on.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would prefer to see the tachometers replaced with a 7" blank where you can install your own chart plotter.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would prefer to see the tachometers replaced with a 7" blank where you can install your own chart plotter.
Great idea. The tachs could easily be combined into a smaller single gauge.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great idea. The tachs could easily be combined into a smaller single gauge.
Or into the connext screen. I believe connext already displays the data.

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, you would think it would be easy to add it to the ConnectX system....but Murf is correct...most prefer their own solutions...
yeah, but if there already is a screen... would be nice to use it for GPS mapping. It already displays your coordinates so i agree, should be easy

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or into the connext screen. I believe connext already displays the data.
I'm a guy who likes analog redundancy! I've seen the 1's and 0's machines malfunction too many times.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not happy with that Bimini set up. We only use ours when then sun is too intense or small children on board that need some shade. Having that giant Bimini up all the time would be a deal breaker for me even if you can take off the canvas, the you still have that giant frame. Not good in my opinion.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very neat features but I'm afraid I'll be sticking with what I have.

My take:

In the 6 years since my boat was made, Yamaha has come out with some really nice features.

My problem is the cost and lack of ability to self maintain.

I got into this boat because it was both affordable (only a little more than HALF the current prices) to purchase and affordable to self-maintain. I feel that all of this high tech wizardry has increased the total cost of ownership of these boats to the point that I wouldn't be able to DREAM of owning one.

If I saw this in a boat show today I'd be all over it, but there's no way I'd be able to even consider buying it. The sales man would get the "just looking" and we'd move on.

I know they are selling like hotcakes so as a business Yamaha is clearly doing the right thing. I just feel that they have moved to a higher end of the market than where they started out and have left folks like me behind. Somewhere out there is a guy or gal looking for an affordable new boat with enough space for their family. I don't think it exists anymore.

Obviously "affordable" means different things to different people, I'm just expressing what it means to me.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very neat features but I'm afraid I'll be sticking with what I have.

My take:

In the 6 years since my boat was made, Yamaha has come out with some really nice features.

My problem is the cost and lack of ability to self maintain.

I got into this boat because it was both affordable (only a little more than HALF the current prices) to purchase and affordable to self-maintain. I feel that all of this high tech wizardry has increased the total cost of ownership of these boats to the point that I wouldn't be able to DREAM of owning one.

If I saw this in a boat show today I'd be all over it, but there's no way I'd be able to even consider buying it. The sales man would get the "just looking" and we'd move on.

I know they are selling like hotcakes so as a business Yamaha is clearly doing the right thing. I just feel that they have moved to a higher end of the market than where they started out and have left folks like me behind. Somewhere out there is a guy or gal looking for an affordable new boat with enough space for their family. I don't think it exists anymore.

Obviously "affordable" means different things to different people, I'm just expressing what it means to me.
We'll said, and my feelings exactly!

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It would not cost much to add GPS maps. All the hardware is there. They should've added a map page- like the BRP stuff. Anyone that wants to add their own could still do so. I want mapping, but I want it built in. I Don't want a mapping head unit hanging out like dog balls...

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I was an import car kid this reminds me of Sports cars of the early 90's. The Supra, 300ZX TT, MR2. They started with a great recipe. A fast fun car that was reliable and well priced for the average guy, and nearly as fast as the exotics of the time. Feature creep set in and the prices climbed out of range of the target audience. The "Average guy". And then all those cars went away. I enjoy seeing the high tech, and with the 190s I see the entry fun No tech, but sadly whats missing is the middle of the road "Average Guy" tech boats that used to be there. Maybe Yamaha will reconsider their market segment? Maybe someone else like Scarab will fill that slot?

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drive by Wire for smooth acceleration through the RPM range; features RPM engine synch and single throttle lever functionality. This was REALLY impressive.
This is awesome. I have been asking for this on yamaha's since getting our 230 (used) and having driven a lot of seadoos. A shame Yamaha is only offering this on the E-series though, Seadoos came with this standard! Seadoo also offered the watersports programs for pulling many years ago also.

I can't tell from the pics, but are the "no-wake" mode switches still there somewhere or are they now not necessary?

I do like how the dashes look nicer and wrap around. Bummed that there doesn't seem like any place left to mount a large screen gps.

So basically, at least to me, it seems Yamaha's biggest 2016 ne feature is to finally offer, only on an e-series, what Seadoo offered many years ago? And yet people like to trash seadoo..... LOL.

To Bruce and your 7" blank idea, +1000pts. In theory, shouldn't be hard for an owner to do themselves provided the rest of the dash leaves room. I took out my AR 230 dash, made my own new one, moved the gauges, and mounted an HDS-8 in place of the gauges. I don't know how well that idea would work on this new model though.

Since boat functions are through the current screen, I hate multitasking a screen when on the water and things can potentially be more crazy, which is why I wanted to install the largest screen possible. It makes things so much easier to see.

Another year, and still no engine upgrades at all.

JMSGA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So basically for 2016 nothing new other than bng unless you spend near 70K. I see scarab and chap taking more share until they put some new younger more aggressive management in at Yamaha. They offer more horsepower, optional exciting color interior/exterior color packages, throttle by wire, and lighting packages for the speakers. Interior of the yamahas make me want to yawn.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian & @Bruce .....Great job guys and thanks. It's fun to look at all of the new technology. It's hard to believe that my boat was the flagship just 7 years ago, and now look at what Yamaha has to offer.
Thanks....it has been fun! And the new tech is cool. Not sure breaking the 70k mark is a good thing....but we will see.

I'd have to say that the flagship of this series was really in 2003 when they put 2 4-Cycle engines in the low profile rear end swim deck/patio layout. Everything since then as been an evolution of the same general layout. 2007 brought the large storage closet, higher freeboard and made better use of space throughout.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks....it has been fun! And the new tech is cool. Not sure breaking the 70k mark is a good thing....but we will see.

I'd have to say that the flagship of this series was really in 2003 when they put 2 4-Cycle engines in the low profile rear end swim deck/patio layout. Everything since then as been an evolution of the same general layout. 2007 brought the large storage closet, higher freeboard and made better use of space throughout.
I agree.

2003 was a game changer.
2007 was an awesome step up.

Everything since then for me is a disappointment. Sure, there are lot of little things here and there that I like and I want, but none are really worth upgrading boats over. The only feature since 07 that has been released that I really want is this new electronic throttle, of course, new is relative as Seadoo offered it for many years (and had more features too). At the same time, I don't want the new keel design and rudder. There was a reason I got jetboats. I am tiring of Yamaha making their jetboats try to act more like prop boats. In another thread, it seems there's now the debate of if these new boats are still as manueverable in neutral as the older non ruddered boats. Some say yes, some say no. I'd love to see a course setup and a direct comparison of the two.

I am happy that there is now competition in the jetboat area from other brands. None of them excite me either, yet, hopefully in time....

Nothing tops what it was like when the 2003 twin engine was introduced with that transom design that companies are still copying today.

2007 was an incredible step forward with the HO engines becoming standard, more space, head locker, etc. 07 was boat of the year.

Nothing since 07 has evoked any of the great feelings from a long time ago that made me want to get a Yamaha. I always look to these releases hoping a smile will cross my face and that there will be a reason to go get another boat. But no smile appears.

What really happens is Yamaha makes me love my 07 AR230 that much more.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with you @ptwb. For me, my 2009 is the sweet spot. I like the traditional lines, the head compartment and the ability to fix most problems - especially the electrical kind - myself... even while on the water.

The '07 - '09 boats were the peak of the "Average Guy" time (to borrow a phrase from @njmr2fan) in the Yamaha lineup. Since then they've added a lot of complexity and price that - to be honest - has kind of turned me off.