• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Jetski possible

D_scarab_ny

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 15 yr old son is bugging me to let him by a Jetski. Any preferences seedoo or Yamaha? Also does any one have knowledge of better promotions in September? Thanks

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't speak to promotions. If I were buying for a 15 year old I'd definitely stay away from any supercharged skis. Any of Sea Doo GTIs or Yamaha VXs would be good choices. Just because I'm a little more familiar with Yamaha now, I'd probably be swayed toward them although I would stick with the 1.8 skis. It does appear you can find a little better deal on the used GTIs from what I've noticed so if going used depending on what I ran across I might pull the trigger on a GTI. There's always the spark as well. For a young teenager, I personally wouldn't invest in a high end ski because you know it just going to be beat up and a 15 year old isn't going to care about trim, cruise, adjustable handlebars, etc. anyways. Another question you should really ask is 1 or 2 skis. Much more fun riding with others.

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seadoo spark. 60 hp model

Lasts forever, very playful, easy maintenance and can easily be tuned to 110 hp when he gets a little older.

Plus they hold their value so if he hates it after a year it's not a huge loss

D_scarab_ny

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks! I have a scarab boat that he wants to follow me around, so he’ll definitely have fun. He is the one actually going to buy the ski so I want to get him the best deal possible.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend a new Yamaha entry level ski, I thinks it is the ex line. About $8k to $9k out the door. If you are willing to go used a 2006 and up vx (sport has no reverse and is cheaper) or fx (more power). You may get lucky and find a pair with a trailer for $8k to $9k.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aww come on get that kid a GP1800..... he will love it!
May not live long, but it will make him smile.

Can a 15 year ond drive one by himself by law?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can a 15 year ond drive one by himself by law?
Looks like he wouldn't be legally allowed to ride alone until age 18?

NEW YORK STATE Requirements- Persons required to complete the course You must hold a safety certificate if:
- You operate a personal watercraft and are at least 14 years of age.
- You wish to operate a motorboat and you were born after May 1, 1996.
- If you are less than 10 years old you may operate a motorboat (non-PWC) only if
someone over 18 is on board with you. Anyone may operate a personal watercraft
if someone at least 18 years old is riding on the craft and they hold a safety
certificate.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like he wouldn't be legally allowed to ride alone until age 18?

NEW YORK STATE Requirements- Persons required to complete the course You must hold a safety certificate if:
- You operate a personal watercraft and are at least 14 years of age.
- You wish to operate a motorboat and you were born after May 1, 1996.
- If you are less than 10 years old you may operate a motorboat (non-PWC) only if
someone over 18 is on board with you. Anyone may operate a personal watercraft
if someone at least 18 years old is riding on the craft and they hold a safety
certificate.

According to the above if he has the safety certificate and is 14 he can ride himself. What was underlined means that anyone with or without certificate can operate the PWC as long as the rider with them is at least 18 and has a safety certificate.

As far as a PWC I would recommend the Seadoo Spark, it's inexpensive and fun to ride. I bought 2 if them in 2014 when my daughter was 14 and we still have them.

D_scarab_ny

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We just picked up the gti 130 . It’s a beauty. He got his certificate last year but he won’t be allowed to be by himself until he gets a hang of it. It also has a learning key that won’t allow him to go full speed so he will be using that when he first gets to ride by himself. Thanks for all the input!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you're gonna get the best deal, go used. Otherwise a spark is your best value IMO. A used gtx 155 or 185 would be a lot of ski for about as much as a spark.