• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Tech Samsung Galazy Z Fold3

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eco system is pretty closed. Plus I do not like the Apple Store for apps, their rules and dictatorship. We develop web and mobile, software and applications for businesses as well as Applications for the public which center around data sharing, information, productivity, etc. A lot of things we are unable to do on Apple phones which makes a lot of business applications very tough with expensive work arounds if any. API's, integrations and such are a PITA on the Apple Eco System. Unless they are getting a decent cut and you follow their big brother rules it is almost not worth it, but we have to cater to the user base. Plus we have seen concerning personal data being reviewed on a few things over time. That is why I am not a fan. Currently for one of our mobile applications in development Watercraft Harbor™ , the Android version is in testing and we are still working through the apple version to get it to an alpha. A lot of apps for business are just staying browser based or browser only since it gives us the ultimate flexibility with responsive layouts on phones. With faster wireless speeds this is becoming more the trend. And with browser push technology where it is at, works great.

BUT, the hardware is fantastic and solid and the UI is easy to use if you like using them.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is pretty cool, but I will never own a Samsung phone again lol
Same here.

Started with I think an S3 and had one all the way up through a Note 5 I think. Lots of S's in there and 2-3 Notes.

I moved to a Pixel and will never go back. They're "lower spec" phones, but are far more snappy than others. They're just as robust, and there is NO bloatware to deal with. I've been buying "last years flagship" used on Swappa with excellent success. Running a Pixel 5 now that I picked up for under $400.

I also moved to Mint for service. $25/mo for 10Gb of data and unlimited everything else. Runs on T-Mobile towers.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Pixel's are good phones as well. We have 2 I believe in house for testing development on. There are a lot of good phones out there and some mediocre ones. It is interesting to see the evolution of where everything is going. I do feel that the prices are out of control on a lot of them.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Eco system is pretty closed. Plus I do not like the Apple Store for apps, their rules and dictatorship. We develop web and mobile, software and applications for businesses as well as Applications for the public which center around data sharing, information, productivity, etc. A lot of things we are unable to do on Apple phones which makes a lot of business applications very tough with expensive work arounds if any. API's, integrations and such are a PITA on the Apple Eco System. Unless they are getting a decent cut and you follow their big brother rules it is almost not worth it, but we have to cater to the user base. Plus we have seen concerning personal data being reviewed on a few things over time. That is why I am not a fan. Currently for one of our mobile applications in development Watercraft Harbor™ , the Android version is in testing and we are still working through the apple version to get it to an alpha. A lot of apps for business are just staying browser based or browser only since it gives us the ultimate flexibility with responsive layouts on phones. With faster wireless speeds this is becoming more the trend. And with browser push technology where it is at, works great.

BUT, the hardware is fantastic and solid and the UI is easy to use if you like using them.
Ah makes much more sense now. I am just an average user so everything works great from my end lol.

Tells us more about this app though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Here is the write up (1) Watercraft Harbor - Web Application Launch | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

There are many members here using it as well as those with many brands of boats and the UI just went through a decent update. It is continuously under development and release. Some additional big features are in testing now. Phone Apps are under development and will be tested to determine if they are viable and should be released and continued. there is a no credit card trial for those whom are interested in checking it out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update on Battery for the Samsung Z Fold 3 Test.

I took it off the charger last night around 10:00 pm. It is now 12:00 noon the next day. I have used it minimally to check emails, texts and to post to this forum a couple of times. I am currently at 66% battery remaining. So not too shabby so far.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Here is the write up (1) Watercraft Harbor - Web Application Launch | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

There are many members here using it as well as those with many brands of boats and the UI just went through a decent update. It is continuously under development and release. Some additional big features are in testing now. Phone Apps are under development and will be tested to determine if they are viable and should be released and continued. there is a no credit card trial for those whom are interested in checking it out.
Intriguing. With 2 more boats on the horizon, this could be useful.

If not researched already, I think there is opportunity for partnership/growth with P2P boat sites such as GetMyBoat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors how are the camera(s) on the fold? I use my phones camera a lot (as I'm sure many do), and my wife's iPhone 11 Pro has great cameras. Having multiple focal lengths is probably going to by my focus.

Does apple have a file manager yet?
I hate the Apple single button interface- 3 at the bottom makes Droids so much simpler

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors how are the camera(s) on the fold? I use my phones camera a lot (as I'm sure many do), and my wife's iPhone 11 Pro has great cameras. Having multiple focal lengths is probably going to by my focus.

Does apple have a file manager yet?
I hate the Apple single button interface- 3 at the bottom makes Droids so much simpler
Apple has had a file manager for years now. The single button is also gone. Everything is done with swiping gestures now.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian The camera's are very good. But I have read the Samsung S21 Ultra 5g has one of the best camera's out there. I will take some outdoor pictures later and post them.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hard core Android guy here currently on an iPhone 12 pro. Decided to give it a honest try. Almost two years in I still hate the thing. Video stabilization is great. Otherwise there is not one thing I prefer on it over a pure Android. And by pure Android I mean a pixel phone. I'll be switching back to the pixel 6 as soon as it comes out next month.

Also. I tried Samsung notes the year they were exploding. Had to return 3. Got fed up and swore never to buy Samsung phone again.

Ask me anything.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Apple has had a file manager for years now.
Seems they finally added it in iOS v10....took them long enough!

You know you are getting old when you think "what? my phone has no buttons (virtual or otherwise)....I have to learn which way to swipe to get my phone to do something! Screw that" LOL

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Pixel's are good phones as well. We have 2 I believe in house for testing development on. There are a lot of good phones out there and some mediocre ones. It is interesting to see the evolution of where everything is going. I do feel that the prices are out of control on a lot of them.
What really surprised me about a year or so ago (well pre pandemic, so I guess 2019-ish) was the cheapest phone I could buy. I can't even remember the name of the phone or the brand. Walked into a Best Buy and paid them like $35 for it or something like that. In comparison to anything nice, it was a terrible phone, however when you looked at it from the standpoint that it was a $35 phone, it was pretty damn good. It did "all the things" that I needed a phone to do; make calls, surf the web, get email and text messages, basic phone stuff right. And it had an "all day" battery that worked well, and I used that thing for about 3 weeks while I was waiting on my then broken phone to be repaired after I cracked it on a jobsite and it was unusable. Couldn't be without a phone out of town, so I went and bought that one. I still have it sitting around somewhere as a spare "just in case". Will most likely add a line as the older one gets closer to staying on his own, and make it a "house phone".

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What really surprised me about a year or so ago (well pre pandemic, so I guess 2019-ish) was the cheapest phone I could buy. I can't even remember the name of the phone or the brand. Walked into a Best Buy and paid them like $35 for it or something like that. In comparison to anything nice, it was a terrible phone, however when you looked at it from the standpoint that it was a $35 phone, it was pretty damn good. It did "all the things" that I needed a phone to do; make calls, surf the web, get email and text messages, basic phone stuff right. And it had an "all day" battery that worked well, and I used that thing for about 3 weeks while I was waiting on my then broken phone to be repaired after I cracked it on a jobsite and it was unusable. Couldn't be without a phone out of town, so I went and bought that one. I still have it sitting around somewhere as a spare "just in case". Will most likely add a line as the older one gets closer to staying on his own, and make it a "house phone".
When we got our concealed licenses, our instructor recommended to have a spare phone to always keep in your nightstand. That $35 phone would be perfect.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update.

So far so good with Galaxy Z Fold 3. Battery life with moderate use was about 28 hours if anyone was interested.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to give an update on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 after a month. I couldn't personally be more pleased. Arguably the best phone I have ever owned. I enjoy using it and the large screen is fantastic. I used to dread having to look up something on my phone and always run into the computer so I could get a bigger screen. Battery life is over a day the way I use it. I have taken many pictures and the quality is great. Having it unfolded on my boat in its holder is night and day from just the smaller screen. Was actually using it alot reading fishing articles while I was out fishing and as a backup for navionics when Garmin was in full screen Fish Sonar mode. Worked great when I was streaming the Lions game while fishing as well,......... please don't bring up the Lions, it hurts me deeply.

I would say if you are looking for a new phone it is worth checking out.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's great to hear. I just can't get myself back on the Samsung train. My PIxel 6 pro arrives tomorrow!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you elaborate on how the "fold" aspect works? and how it "unfolds" Having not seen it in person, is there a magnetic snap to put it together? is the actual screen material "folded" and how does it not develop a crease?

Thanks for sharing, looks awesome!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you elaborate on how the "fold" aspect works? and how it "unfolds" Having not seen it in person, is there a magnetic snap to put it together? is the actual screen material "folded" and how does it not develop a crease?

Thanks for sharing, looks awesome!
@HangOutdoors can probably give a more accurate assessment, but when I looked at it in the store, it was impressive at how little you could see the join. I suspect they fold it (with a "crease") right down a line of pixels between the two screens. The primary downside I felt was that the phone is fatter than a normal phone - but I'm still considering it as my next model to replace my Note 9 (who's battery is starting to fade-I suppose I could just get a new battery - or a battery case). One reason I'm considering a new phone is to have one with a better tele lens (like a 10x) - as the vast majority of photos we take these days are on our phones.