• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

New to boating, looking for advice.

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So glad I found this form, very informative! I spent a lot of time reading through threads and found some great information. Especially the known issues, and what to look out for when purchasing.

Our budget is in the range of 20-28k, not huge, so I want to spend it wisely. Family of three, 17 year old son really got into wakeboarding last year. We both surf and my wife loves boating, so it makes the most sense to purchase rather than renting a few times a year like we do now. I own a race car fabrication shop, so I am mechanically inclined, but do not know what I am looking at when it comes to boats, especially jet boats. Any help with the following thoughts/questions would be much appreciated.

Currently looking at two boats, 2004 AR 230 that appears to be in pretty good condition, 5k stereo system, new cover, jet pumps rebuilt in 22, no trailer. 21K.

Second boat is a 2005 AR 230HO, in good shape, but with a few tears in the seats, second battery 22.5k

Both boats are unknown hours, and spent the last year in salt water, but dry docked and flushed after every outing.

There may be enough room in my budget at this price to invest in some upholstery or a used trailer, but from what I could find there’s not many out there. Honestly, the upgraded stereo system on boat 1 doesn’t do anything for me. Much rather have a trailer!

Obviously hours play a big part. Just got the software and download cable but I am 3 1/2 hours from one and a little over five hours from the other. How many is too many or what is a good number to look for at this age? Should I even consider an AR 190/195 or is that out of the equation because of wake surfing? I see it has been done but takes quite a bit of work to get it right.

Anyhow, that is a lot of words to read… Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated!

If you’re committed to wake sports, particularly surfing, then you might want to find a way to try a jet boat first. They are not going to work like a purpose built wake boat.

Agreed. A lot of people on this forum use their boats for surfing though, but the boats need some sort of wake booster as well as weight bags. Lots of info comparing the various options. Use the search function to dig deeper.

As you say hours are important but the Yamaha engines are pretty reliable. And the jet mechanisms are pretty simple compared to prop boats. If I were you, I would find an independent mechanic to thoroughly assess the boat, particularly if you're looking at boats that are more than 15 years old.

If you’re committed to wake sports, particularly surfing, then you might want to find a way to try a jet boat first. They are not going to work like a purpose built wake boat.

gotcha, I understand that there will be a compromise. My wife really likes the lay out of the AR 230, lots of seating and storage. I like the affordability, easy to maintain and durability. My sons just going to have to deal with whatever kind of wake we can create with bags and a shaper ?

Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in but I think the 2004 had a lower hp MR-1 engine. I would recommend the 2005. If you can work on race cars then these Yamahas will be childs play for you.

Agreed. A lot of people on this forum use their boats for surfing though, but the boats need some sort of wake booster as well as weight bags. Lots of info comparing the various options. Use the search function to dig deeper.

As you say hours are important but the Yamaha engines are pretty reliable. And the jet mechanisms are pretty simple compared to prop boats. If I were you, I would find an independent mechanic to thoroughly assess the boat, particularly if you're looking at boats that are more than 15 years old.

thanks, I did do some research on surf set ups and definitely think we can make it work. Great idea about the independent mechanic, I’m gonna try to do some digging around and see if I can find anyone in that area.

Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in but I think the 2004 had a lower hp MR-1 engine. I would recommend the 2005. If you can work on race cars then these Yamahas will be childs play for you.
Great, thanks. The HO motor is way more attractive to me than the upgraded stereo system in the other boat…

Is a newer model boat with a down payment out of the question? A 19-20 year old boat would scare me a bit. There are some good buys on 2017-2020 models. If you like rebuilds and timkers the older models might be ok. But plan on sinking some $ to get what you want from them.

P
gotcha, I understand that there will be a compromise. My wife really likes the lay out of the AR 230, lots of seating and storage. I like the affordability, easy to maintain and durability. My sons just going to have to deal with whatever kind of wake we can create with bags and a shaper ?
Allocate some budget to a wake foil then. Best of both worlds with the low maintenance/cost boat.

Is a newer model boat with a down payment out of the question? A 19-20 year old boat would scare me a bit. There are some good buys on 2017-2020 models. If you like rebuilds and timkers the older models might be ok. But plan on sinking some $ to get what you want from them.
I have definitely thought about it, that’s why I considered a newer model 190/195 but I don’t think it’s suits our water sport needs. Not really into tinkering or fixing, too much of that in my 9 to 5 ?. It probably does make the most financial sense, but it just seems like a huge leap being new to boating.

If your not into tinkering or fixing - get a newer boat. Even on my 2021 252 I am fixing and tinkering with stuff because I don't want to take it in for warranty.

At 28k - personally - I would be lookin at a 2017 AR210 and finance the rest over 2-3 years. I boat in salt but if I buy used I looked for fresh water boats. Salt destroys everything - might be more corrosion than you can see with your eye on a 20 year old boat.

If your not into tinkering or fixing - get a newer boat. Even on my 2021 252 I am fixing and tinkering with stuff because I don't want to take it in for warranty.

At 28k - personally - I would be lookin at a 2017 AR210 and finance the rest over 2-3 years. I boat in salt but if I buy used I looked for fresh water boats. Salt destroys everything - might be more corrosion than you can see with your eye on a 20 year old boat.

Thanks that helps. I was wondering about the salt, even if it was just for a year. I know I would never buy a used car that spent its life by the ocean...

I’m not sure the 19ft boat are that much worse than the bigger boats for wake sports. You’ll still need a wake booster and weights of course. Hopefully members with the 19 footers can chime in or you can find some info through the search function. Or ask @Julian. He knows everything on this forum!

So glad I found this form, very informative! I spent a lot of time reading through threads and found some great information. Especially the known issues, and what to look out for when purchasing.

Our budget is in the range of 20-28k, not huge, so I want to spend it wisely. Family of three, 17 year old son really got into wakeboarding last year. We both surf and my wife loves boating, so it makes the most sense to purchase rather than renting a few times a year like we do now. I own a race car fabrication shop, so I am mechanically inclined, but do not know what I am looking at when it comes to boats, especially jet boats. Any help with the following thoughts/questions would be much appreciated.

Currently looking at two boats, 2004 AR 230 that appears to be in pretty good condition, 5k stereo system, new cover, jet pumps rebuilt in 22, no trailer. 21K.

Second boat is a 2005 AR 230HO, in good shape, but with a few tears in the seats, second battery 22.5k

Both boats are unknown hours, and spent the last year in salt water, but dry docked and flushed after every outing.

There may be enough room in my budget at this price to invest in some upholstery or a used trailer, but from what I could find there’s not many out there. Honestly, the upgraded stereo system on boat 1 doesn’t do anything for me. Much rather have a trailer!

Obviously hours play a big part. Just got the software and download cable but I am 3 1/2 hours from one and a little over five hours from the other. How many is too many or what is a good number to look for at this age? Should I even consider an AR 190/195 or is that out of the equation because of wake surfing? I see it has been done but takes quite a bit of work to get it right.

Anyhow, that is a lot of words to read… Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated!
Get the boats connected to YDS and read the hours and any fault codes the engines have thrown (although those codes can be deleted by someone with YDS). Any Yamaha service center can do this for you, or you can buy a YDS kit online (you'll need a computer too). With older boats, having a good mechanic look it over and check compression, hours etc is worth the investment.

From my experience 60 hours a year is pretty normal usage.

I'd buy the biggest boat you can accommodate (fit in your storage, tow vehicle can handle etc). No one ever said "my boat has too much room".

I'd buy the biggest boat you can accommodate (fit in your storage, tow vehicle can handle etc). No one ever said "my boat has too much room".

This is 100% true, but isn't the AR230 and AR210 much closer in space in real life than on paper?

This is 100% true, but isn't the AR230 and AR210 much closer in space in real life than on paper?
Totally depends on the model year!
2003 AR 210 is actually a 19' boat with a swim platform!
The newer 210s are a tad smaller than the older 230s - they got much better at space utilization - probably not enough space difference to worry about - then it comes down to layout, seats, condition etc.

Get the boats connected to YDS and read the hours and any fault codes the engines have thrown (although those codes can be deleted by someone with YDS). Any Yamaha service center can do this for you, or you can buy a YDS kit online (you'll need a computer too). With older boats, having a good mechanic look it over and check compression, hours etc is worth the investment.

From my experience 60 hours a year is pretty normal usage.

Thanks for the input. Already purchased the YDS, but having a boat mechanic survey the boat is probably the better route. I have a 5.7 Hemi Commander that should do the trick pulling it.. I saw you commented on a thread in 2016 and said the wake from a 230 is not too shapable for surfing. I do not want a dedicated wake, but really want to be able to surf. As long as that is doable, I think I'm in on the 230. I'll do whatever it takes with bags / shaper. Next year our boy is off to college so watersports will take a back seat to cruising with friends when he's not around. My wife is in love with the lay out and the swim platform / no propeller to worry about.

I've no experience with wake sports, but I have an 06 SX230, and my brother has an 18 212S (21'). My cabin is not much bigger, I'd estimate maybe 6", but his swim platform is a bit shorter. In regards to the layout of the boats, there are pros and cons to each, but I do like the extra room of mine. It is really nice. The biggest concern I have is the simple fact that these MR-1 engines are getting harder and harder to find, should I ever have serious engine failure. Past that, these boats are super easy to service and maintain. Saltwater would concern me a decent amount, not just for fear of salt buildup in the cooling system, but also it just corrodes everything. Inspect everything really well, and don't be afraid to walk away from a future headache. I have seen quite a few posts from people whose exhaust hose clamps have rusted away, leading to the coolant water getting dumped into the bilge, so check under the rear cleanout hatch for stuff like that. Worth taking a philips screw gun and popping that hatch off for a good look back there.

Back