• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet Boating

Laney

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for some advice...to any of you who have transitioned from stern drive to jet boats, I've been told that I may not like the way these boats maneuver since I've been driving a stern drive for 25 years or so. But I really like them! I think I can adjust! Anybody have any input for me? I've found one that I'd like to buy, but can't test drive cuz, well, it's January! Thanks for your response-if you can :)

Looking for some advice...to any of you who have transitioned from stern drive to jet boats, I've been told that I may not like the way these boats maneuver since I've been driving a stern drive for 25 years or so. But I really like them! I think I can adjust! Anybody have any input for me? I've found one that I'd like to buy, but can't test drive cuz, well, it's January! Thanks for your response-if you can :)
Welcome aboard @Laney. You have found a great support system on this site. Many have transitioned to jets with few issues. These boats are a little sloppy at slow speed but the addition of after market fins will cure most of that issue. The advantages of these boats far outweigh the minor negatives. No props or transmissions, easy & inexpensive maintenance & great layout. I'm sure others will weigh in on their views.

Some may say these boats are hard to handle at slow speed but there are aftermarket options. In my case I love the way these boats handle at slow speed I can spin around on itself and park dang near anywhere. Having the ability to crab walk the boat sideways into a dock is just amazing. Once you get used to these boats you will probably never look back.

On top of what everyone has mentioned already, one of the big things that changes going from a non-jet boat to a jet is the not stopping in neutral. Just like @Gym said there is no tranny between the drive shaft and the prop, so you can go forward to reverse quickly and without a pause waiting for the shifting. Pretty nice feature to have once you get use to it.

I think after having a jet drive for many years now it's going to be tougher going back to a stern drive than it was going to a jet drive in the first place.

Usually the people who tell you to stay away from jet drives are people who never owned them , or have no current experience with them.
I spent the past 15 years designing and building PATENTED steering enhancements for jet boats.
Even Yamaha has finally agreed that adding secondary steering to jet propulsion is the way to make jet boats appeal to the conventional boat owners.
Jets are way less maintenance than outdrives and if you set the steering up the way you want it you can tweak the added affect to suit your particular needs. From added slow speed assistance to increased high speed assistance or both and at varying levels of your choosing .
You will enjoy greater maneuverability , along with feedback in the helm and steering capability when you throttle down rapidly , actually with my Ultimate set you can even steer the jet boat while being towed.
The old school stock jet steering just cannot provide all the handling capability and control that the newer enhanced steering systems can provide , I believe the people criticizing the jet boat handling are making reference to the old style stock directional nozzle systems and that was the way most people felt about them myself included however those days are gone and have been for over a decade.

@Laney Welcome aboard! You have come to the right place for guidance and support. Best of luck.

I think after learning a new technique of steering/docking you'll fall in love. But.... Please don't buy any boat without driving it, just for your protection that the boat is running in good order. They all run great on the trailer...test drive it!

Welcome aboard @Laney glad that you have found us and decided to join. I agree with the above recommendations. Especially @Murf'n'surf, test drive before you buy it and at the very least take somebody with you who knows a lot about these boats. They're simple to operate and maintain. But different none the less. good luck with your search for a new boat.

@Laney I've been an owner of a 2014 yamaha 212x for two season now; putting on just shy of 200 hours on our boat. I had an opportunity to surf with a prop boat at the end of last season and I came away feeling so glad to own the jet boat. I'm echoing everyone here...but once you get used to the handling of a jet boat, I don't think there is a better all-around boat. It's not a dedicated wake or surf boat but can do everything really, really well. Plus...there is shelbyville!! (Search the forum for it...it's worth it!)

I think the issue is that people with years of sterndrive experience immediately feel an ego blow because they can't get behind the wheel of a jet drive and look like a pro at the dock, so they are quickly turned off. If you want a jet drive you just need to be honest with yourself that it will take some time to learn the handling quirks, just like it did the first time you were piloting a stern drive. I think most people who have done this, end up liking the jet maneuverability better. I really like my jet drive. The only thing that I don't really like is the "wandering" nature while at slow speeds when going in a straight line. The cobra jet steering or thrust vector steering systems do make a big difference with that though. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

@Laney Welcome! What sort of boat are you used to driving (length, # engines etc)? I moved to a jet from a 19' I/O and never went back! It is different, but I think you'll find the differences exhilarating, not negative.

x10 what everyone else said. The jet maneuverability is a positive like driving a manual/stick-shift auto.

Be careful about buying any boat without driving it first. I know that is easy for us to say but don't say we didn't warn you.

Hi You are me one year ago . LET ME SAY BUYING MY JET BOAT WAS THE BEST THING I DID. January purchase no test drive. Spent winter cleaning and waiting for summer to launch. Ok now there is a learning curve with the jets it was short real short I to came from many years of stern drives. My wife loves this boat. Happy wife happy life. My vote is do it.

I have years of experience on I/O boats and here is my true unbiased opinion. I will start with as someone mentioned before most of the negative things your here come from people who really do not know or never owned one. The amount of people who have asked why the heck I bought a jet boat and start spouting negative things off about them is crazy and every time I ask most have never even been on when one. I actually think my jet boat is more maneuverable than my I/O at slow speeds and at cruise speed. I do not see the need for fins at this time it has not bothered me at all and have had no issue docking or even loading on the trailer in fact I would say this boat is much easier to hit the trailer with then my old boat especially once you understand the best ways to control the jet drives at low speed. Only things I like better about my I/O is it is much quieter, it has never sucked anything up and me have to stop and pull something out which has happened several times to me already and I like the actual feel of the throttle control better on it but actually like the acceleration on the jet boat better. Overall I wanted the swim deck and no props where my big buying factors and overall do like the boat. Best thing to do is figure out what exactly you plan to use the boat for and decide from there if its something for you. If you boat a lot in areas with a lot of debris floating or sea weed or go off shore frequently you may want to look at something a little different but if your looking for a good family boat that is safe and fun to drive it could be for you.

I have to say, all the feedback I've read is the kinda stuff I've wanted to hear! I have a ton of questions, but all in all I'm super pumped about the boat (which is a Yamaha SX230 HO -in case anyone has input on that)!-2008. The boats I'm used to have been a 23ft Caravelle bowrider, a 26ft Eliminator (Cuddy), and a 19ft Mariah bowrider. Honestly, the 19ft(my smallest boat) bowrider has steered the worst! It seems to be more susceptible to waves and currents when docking than the bigger boats. The Yamaha has intrigued me very much! The layout-I love! and the mechanics of the boat are super cool! I don't think it's something that I can't master and would find it fun to accept the challenge. They just look fun!!! It really sucks that it's winter-damn! I will take the very wise advice to waiting to test drive this boat, and taking the chance that it may sell. There will be others if that's the case. Your input is VERY much appreciated! As I get further into this, I will ask more questions. Definitely! Not the type who wants to gas n go, and sit and scratch her head if something goes wrong. You guys are awesome! Thank you!!!

Hi You are me one year ago . LET ME SAY BUYING MY JET BOAT WAS THE BEST THING I DID. January purchase no test drive. Spent winter cleaning and waiting for summer to launch. Ok now there is a learning curve with the jets it was short real short I to came from many years of stern drives. My wife loves this boat. Happy wife happy life. My vote is do it.
That's GREAT to know!!!

@Laney I've been an owner of a 2014 yamaha 212x for two season now; putting on just shy of 200 hours on our boat. I had an opportunity to surf with a prop boat at the end of last season and I came away feeling so glad to own the jet boat. I'm echoing everyone here...but once you get used to the handling of a jet boat, I don't think there is a better all-around boat. It's not a dedicated wake or surf boat but can do everything really, really well. Plus...there is shelbyville!! (Search the forum for it...it's worth it!)
Thanks! I will check that out!

I completely agree with the comments above. I too came from an I/O boat before getting into a Yamaha and the only thing that I truly miss about the I/O is reverse. But that is not significant enough for me to say that I would not recommend a jet driven boat.

@Laney - I will say that I started off with a 2000 Yamaha LS2000 as my first boat, against the suggestions of all my boating peers. I was given a hard time over and over about looking at jet boats and even purchasing, but then after taking several of them for a ride and letting them drive it they too changed their opinions. As a result of my love for both boating and the jet boat I upgraded from my old LS2000 to a 2015 AR192 that I can't wait to enjoy this coming season. I will say that on the old LS I had the cobra fins and it was the only way I had ever experienced steering the boat, so the first thing I bought for the new boat were more fins.

Welcome. The best thing to do is PRACTICE. I have the TV..and that is to assist my daughters and wife with the turning. SLOW and STEADY with A LOT of PRACTICE. This rule kind of goes with any motorized vehicle; boat, car, even a DRONE.

Again welcome, a lot of great people on here to assist.

Back