• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New TV

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
75” + or go home! 🤪
I agree!

75" Samsung Q7 with a Dolby Atmos soundbar. And I now prefer to rent a blue-ray and stay home rather than go to the movies. But maybe that's due in part to my 40yo bladder and having a pause button.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it a 4K TV? This is the primary benefit of high resolution high frame rate TVs. You can sit closer to them and have that more cinematic feel without seeing pixels or sensing blurred motion. But you can't do this with lower resolution, slower refresh TVs!

If I was buying now, I'd be getting the biggest, 4k, fastest TV my budget could afford! My entertainment center only holds a 65"....so that is what I have now....the next time I buy....will have to sell the Amish furniture!!! LOL

As for sounds....I NEVER EVER use the built in speakers from a TV. You want full surround sound and an excellent sub woofer (mine in the Klipsch 12" powered sub). When I play a movie, the experience is similar to what you hear in a theater. And the older and deafer you get, the more you need this!!! LOL (we were watching Breaking Bad the other night, and in the scene, there is a tap at the window from behind...my wife and I bolted upright like "Who the F^%## is tapping on our window!!!!" LOVE IT!
Yes just about all TVs are 4K these days. Certainly doesn’t mean everything is broadcasted in 4K however. I’m not implying get a small tv, I’m just suggesting a bigger tv isn’t always the best solution. For example, I doubt most sit in the front several rows at a theater. If a 75 can fit great, but it’s not always the best application.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
If you aren't looking for the cinema experience....internal speakers might be ok....might. But for movie watching, surround sound is a must. That big old sub creates a pressure wave of sound that means you can actually feel the movie.....love it! But I'm a move nut!!!

I'm looking at adding these if I can convince my wife!!!

View attachment 89807
My buddy picked these up and they are sweet. the complimentary center speaker he was not as impressed with.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a 4K projector and a 100” screen. The couch is 14-15’ away and I could have definitely gone bigger even when watching shows in 1080p.

MattyTee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be the unpopular voice here... we bought an lg tv a few years ago... cant remember what model. The entire time we had the thing we could not get the voice right. It was either too early or too slow for what was playing. And it was different with different channels. Looked on line and it was a major issue. This was 3 to 5 years ago or more so they may have fixed it. But at the same time we purchased a nice 700 plus dollar lg dishwasher... lasted less than two years and no one would fix it except lg and they wanted an astronomical price to come look at it. So now we have a Samsung tv and a whirlpool dishwasher. However, when looking for a TV I will admit the LG looked good in the store. But we will not be going down the lg road anymore!

I have the 55" C8 and love it. Super dark blacks, great color and amazing clarity in 4K. If I had one complaint I would say there's a little color banding on a couple game menus but never on any TV/Video. We had the sound issue as well but there is a menu option to correct for this and it works perfectly once adjusted.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Plenty of 4K content out there, especially if you are a cord cutter. Moreover, a 1080P image will look better on a (good) 4K screen.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Plenty of 4K content out there, especially if you are a cord cutter. Moreover, a 1080P image will look better on a (good) 4K screen.
I meant not a lot free or cheap.

4k is not available OTA or on HULU. Very little on Prime Video. Which are what we primarily use.

Netflix supposedly has more but you have to pay more to get it which I haven’t tried yet.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I went ahead an ordered the LG 65" and am looking forward to seeing the difference vs our old one. I picked the 65 inch based on reading the TV size that would best fit out TV room

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about curved TVs, I always wonder about those. Do they have merit?

We still keep one old plasma Panasonic, love that thing so I'm probably not a typical customer here, lol.

--

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My wife and I are looking to buy the LG 65 inch OLED 4K HDR Smart TV and was wondering if anyone has one and what you all think about it.
Thanks
I have it but no HBOGO app like my Samsung. I love the image but miss that app.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What about curved TVs, I always wonder about those. Do they have merit?

We still keep one old plasma Panasonic, love that thing so I'm probably not a typical customer here, lol.

--
I think Curved screens have merit if you have the right viewing angle (dead on). Also like you, I think Plasma was better than anything we're getting today, but not sure if that's just a rose colored memory.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski What about curved TVs, I always wonder about those. Do they have merit?

I know they were suppose to be very very good, however, I really did not look very close at them. Maybe as previously said the angle I looked at in the store impacted my decision[flag]

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We just bought an LG 65" and when we were purchasing it we had the option to get a little more expensive model, the only difference being it had ability to talk to it. At the time we were like "why would we need that?" Hindsight I would have paid the extra for it. The reason is with all the Apps on these TVs with search- i.e. hulu, vudu, amazon prime. It is a PIA to type searches in using the remote keys especially after now being so used to just speaking it on Apple TV (connected to our upstairs tv). Just thought I'd mention that as I wish I would have thought a little more about that before I bought my TV.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian They look great. What size room would you put those in and yes I would probably also need my wife's permission.
They would be going into our family room which is combined with our sunroom (one huge room) 41x13.5. We sit probably 15 feet from the screen/speakers. I really want these big speakers for our new years eve party (lots of dancing) - and would also have to invest in another amp to drive them most likely....

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
+1 on the voice command. I thought it was a gimmick but now it’s what we use 90% of the time.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You guys ever look at Costco? Seems like they have some good deals on nice tv's. I am currently finishing my basement which will consist of a 65"-75" tv on main media room area wall with a 120" projector screen that will drop down from ceiling in front of the tv for movie viewing. Also will have 2 more tv's around 46"-50" in the bar and pool table area, so I need to buy several lol.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We just bought an LG 65" and when we were purchasing it we had the option to get a little more expensive model, the only difference being it had ability to talk to it. At the time we were like "why would we need that?" Hindsight I would have paid the extra for it. The reason is with all the Apps on these TVs with search- i.e. hulu, vudu, amazon prime. It is a PIA to type searches in using the remote keys especially after now being so used to just speaking it on Apple TV (connected to our upstairs tv). Just thought I'd mention that as I wish I would have thought a little more about that before I bought my TV.
We just bought the upgraded LG and speak app works nothing like the old cox service we had. We dont use the talk button.

Hope that make you feel better.

The lg is better than the sony x900f that we had for 2 days. We exchanged it for the LG because the sony will not let you do hulu live, hulu but not live. Guess they dont want competition. For their sony streaming service.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those who may be thinking of buying the Lg and are eligible to buy from the military exchange they have dropped their sale price an additional 500 dollars and with know sales tax