• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No drama cooler thread!

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
AO here. Great cooler. Also have an RTIC 30.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got the Polar Bear 48 soft sided cooler, bought off Amazon back in 2014? Way before bimini. Aside from the weight when you really load that thing up, it's an absolute beast that I've never had an issue with. I've had it to Bimini, and on a cooler rack on the back of my ski on many trips. Would buy again. Also have an AO backpack cooler I'll take on the ski if I'm solo just pissin around the lake. No complaints with that one either. I had an RTIC 30. I must've donated it to the lake/beach or something, no clue whatever happened to that thing - no real complaints with it either.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking of ordering this one today. https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-45-Blue Does anybody use this one and can chime in to how it works? thx
We have a white one and it'll hold ice for a long time as long as it's prechilled properly. I like it, but when loaded it's just so damn heavy! That's the same with all of the roto-molded coolers though. We also have a Rtic softside that I think is a 30 and we love it. I've got an AO I purchased a few years ago and have used it a good bit till it started leaking. Now it's just taking space on a shelf cause it's not worth fixing. I never was impressed with it's ice retention.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We have a white one and it'll hold ice for a long time as long as it's prechilled properly. I like it, but when loaded it's just so damn heavy! That's the same with all of the roto-molded coolers though. We also have a Rtic softside that I think is a 30 and we love it. I've got an AO I purchased a few years ago and have used it a good bit till it started leaking. Now it's just taking space on a shelf cause it's not worth fixing. I never was impressed with it's ice retention.
So in your opinion would the RTIC 30 or 40 work for 24 to 48 hour outings? Was back and fourth with RTIC45 or the soft 30 or 40. Do you think I could get away with the soft based on your experience with your 30. I appreciate the info.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know how the soft side will handle the heat being on the boat in the summer to give an honest opinion. I just got it at Christmas and we've been using it as a transport cooler between home and the dock. For a 24-48 hour cooler I personally would want a hardside and probably the 65 cause I wouldn't be moving it much.

Thai929

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
B00C4131-88BB-44F9-BC70-CE1269D00F97.jpeg I got 3 coolers all with pros and cons. A soft yeti (came free with the boat) that’s pretty awesome and used mostly on the boat but I agree the opening sucks. RTIC sounds like a good alternative. For the price of a Yeti I probably wouldn’t buy a soft one. My yeti tundra I think is a perfect size. Not too big or not too small. Fully loaded you’re still able to carry it, but doesn’t fit under any seat on the boat. And finally my Kula. A nice in between. Good size, makes a perfect seat, easy to carry and can be used as a bait bucket. Made originally for paddle boards by Bote. A little expensive but it’s bombproof. Crappy that it doesn’t come with the shoulder strap.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I don’t recall the size but I have an AO soft sided probably the largest soft side they make it holds ice well but same issue other mentioned after a few hours the bottom is wet it has done that since brand new. For those that have had the AO and the rtic how do they compare I would want to stay soft cooler they are to easy to store where ever to switch.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a Pelican 45 that works great but is too dammed heavy use on the boat. It gets left in the cabin. I also have an Igloo Sportsman Pro 20 that works great, but it’s damn heavy too. I’ve been using. Aa couple of tall, skinny Igloo 24 qt coolers that fit in the ski locker. I bought 2 of the biggest (36 can, so 30 qt?) soft sided yeti knockoffs from Walmart (online and on clearance) that should be here tomorrow. I’ll let you know if they are worth the $27 apiece paid at a later date.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Rtic soft 30 can definetely go all day with ice especially if you keep it shaded. Even in Havasu at 110c weather.

Rtic is the best in my experience for ice retention compared to AO, but it doesn't fit under the bench seat so I use the AO most of the time.

Attachments

Last edited:

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Julian I saw your question on another thread, the RTIC has a far superior lid design to the Yeti. I had a friend with the Yeti 40 and it was like sticking my hand into a paper shredder to grab a drink.
View attachment 71792
Yeti recently resigned their soft coolers the new one is better. The old Yeti soft also wasn't good because the zipper on top allowed cold air to escape easily.

Also don't forget the Arctic Ice:winkingthumbsup"

Attachments

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I currently have 2 polar bear 24 h20 coolers. Works great, keeps ice all day in summer heat no problem.
Both coolers fit under the seat with ease. Great for putting on the swim deck for quick drink access
They say this coolers floats lol
I just ordered a rtic 45. I needed something hard to store food and extra drinks in.
http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/product/24-pack-H2O.html

38109EA1-3DE4-4C43-9A39-F4D6276CF9D8.jpeg

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for getting back to regularly scheduled programming. Here is my question: Had to kill some time today between appointments. Went to Wally World and looked at Ozark Trail coolers. Would you guys get a 36 can canvas AO for $64 or a 30 Ozark and a 24 Ozark for the same price as the one AO?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can’t comment on the ozark coolers but just saw a yeti plus accessories at Best Buy, Wow that is an expensive cooler. For that kind of money I’d be looking at a dometic like @Bruce installed. Or for something a more versitile this.
9EC45D06-A21E-4C45-83E5-129725488500.png
Personally I have and use a cheap igloo that fits in the dedicated cooler area of the boat. When they no longer keep ice for at least a day in the summer I replace them for $30 or so dollars.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
+1 on the knock off of the knock off (Ozark trail).

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all for getting back to regularly scheduled programming. Here is my question: Had to kill some time today between appointments. Went to Wally World and looked at Ozark Trail coolers. Would you guys get a 36 can canvas AO for $64 or a 30 Ozark and a 24 Ozark for the same price as the one AO?
I love my Ozark hard cooler. Probably going to go for a soft-side one, they have a nice tall one that I just need to make sure fits under the seat.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love my Ozark hard cooler. Probably going to go for a soft-side one, they have a nice tall one that I just need to make sure fits under the seat.
I looked at those as well, I don't really care for the zipper.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any thoughts on converting one of the underseat compartments into an actual cooler with drain out?
My last boat had the built in bow cooler and we never used it. Transfering stuff to it and back was a pain. The ideal is a place to drop in your own cooler and have it easily accessible and not in the way.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife bought me this Ozark cooler for my birthday last year. We used it all summer and then the zipper broke. Walmart took it back and this year for my birthday, SURPRISE! I got a new one with a brand new REDESIGNED top. The old one worked great, I can see how the new one is much better. The top actually fits into the side walls. Have already used it several times and love it. LOVE THE WHITE TOO!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Premium-Jumbo-Tote-Gray/188204328

Last edited: