• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not Sure How this will Go......<Pool or boat?>

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I ever hit the lotto I would have a pool with a lazy river around it. This is just awesome and has it all with a hot tub, lazy river and a pool!!

View attachment 178436
And has the lake and boat dock behind - doesn’t get much better than that!!!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right?! Looks like it’s also on a lake. That would be my dream setup to have property on the lake, with beautiful grass and a killer pool setup. Best of both worlds.
TBH, if I had that kind of coin, I would be taking a lot more trips and adventures, and a much nicer/larger boat :), rather than a very nice pool. The darn things are too much work, at least hear in the upper Midwest for only a few months of use. But I guess I could just hire people to take care of the pool :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh I hear ya on the pool maintenance. My parents had both an above ground and an in-ground pool. I spent many summers having to keep the dang things clean and correct ph. If I were to do it I’d go salt and hire the ugliest most out of shape pool service tech to keep it in shape. If I got money for a place like that I got money to pay someone too :D

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh I hear ya on the pool maintenance. My parents had both an above ground and an in-ground pool. I spent many summers having to keep the dang things clean and correct ph. If I were to do it I’d go salt and hire the ugliest most out of shape pool service tech to keep it in shape. If I got money for a place like that I got money to pay someone too :D
Got me thinking with the ugly out of shape tech.? Have daughters? Lol.
I would steer clear of salt. Had one never will do that again. Went back to chlorine on this one.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just visited my soon to be home and took measurements of the concrete pad already installed in the backyard. It is 22’ long and 14’ wide (23’6” long and 14’9” wide counting the brick border). So I either go with the other 18’ x 9’ model of the pool or a have more concrete poured to go with the 24’ or 32’ model. Poor me? Or pour me another round? Just pausing to appreciate that I’m in a position to have a first world problem like this.

break is over: We briefly considered installing the 18’x9’ pool ourselves and attaching the pump to an extension cord bypassing the electrical work and the permit processes altogether. We have decided to do everything “by the book” instead. my wife and I will be new to this community and we don’t want to start by not complying with its rules and regulations. We don’t want to our our new neighbors or our pending relationship with them at risk either.

someone please let me know how far the outriggers/U shaped braces extend from the side walls of the pool. We need this information To determine how much more concrete or ground leveling, on any, needs to be done regardless of what size pool we go with.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Got me thinking with the ugly out of shape tech.? Have daughters? Lol.
I would steer clear of salt. Had one never will do that again. Went back to chlorine on this one.
We have a salt water pool. Very low maintenance. A Polaris pool cleaner keeps debris out. Chlorinator tells me when to add salt. Occasionally add acid. Runs all year. Every other season I pay someone to clean the water filters. I think the Polaris is key to low maintenance.
B35C3DE4-4421-46E7-A4D1-FBCB4EF47516.jpeg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have a salt water pool. Very low maintenance. A Polaris pool cleaner keeps debris out. Chlorinator tells me when to add salt. Occasionally add acid. Runs all year. Every other season I pay someone to clean the water filters. I think the Polaris is key to low maintenance.
View attachment 178513
Mine was awesome until 2-3 years in my wrought iron fences started to rust, natural rocks and flagstone started flaking off etc. but the maintenance and keeping the water right was much easier and cheaper.

Apparently the salt water gets into your natural stone dries and breaks down the rock.. had to replace the entire flagstone edge and waterfall was all pitted.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Our flagstone does flake on some pieces and has since day 1. I think that is the nature of a soft stone like flagstone. If you could hand pick each stone it could possibly be avoided. I'm not sure that salt water really accelerates the amount of flaking. On our next pool, I'm thinking we will do a poured concrete coping as a more modern look, which I think will have more durability in general.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whelp...... To update my pool Journey.........

This morning the Admiral indicated that one kid doesn't really want to use the pool but the other wants to use it once in a while - but never does. Ages 16 and 18. She told me I could put it up for sale. I took it down last fall and it is actually rolled up in the boat. Excellent condition.

A lot of work was put into it as you can see by my journey in this thread. The maintenance around the trees was constant, and the girls never really wanted to use it. I didn't have a heater. Plus on the weekends we were on the boat, and as with teenage girls, they always have something better to do somewhere. If it was heated or an inground, I am sure it would get more use.

Sooo.... I plan on selling it and resodding what I took out. The electrical and pole in the backyard will remain. Who knows what the future brings back there, for us or the next owners of the house. I have wanted to move but figure in two years when the last kid graduates from High School. Maybe on a lake or a bit more out into the suburbs/country. Perhaps where there is an association pool or the home already has an inground pool. Maybe finding a place that has such things will give me leverage to move with the Admiral. :)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How hard would it be to heat that pool? Do you have enough sunlight to set up a solar heater?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I could make it work, but Solar isn't optimal. If I go through the expense and labor and no one uses the pool I am going to be annoyed.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We started with an above ground pool years ago just like that. I didn’t go to that extent but obviously we did level the yard and bring sand in. We moved to a new house and bought a bigger one, and then put in an in ground pool a couple years later. We use the in ground pool far and away more than we ever used the above ground. We usually boat one weekend day and the other day is a pool day, but we use the pool on boat days too. If we’re home, it’s probably used every day from at least early May to early October.
There are a couple of reasons we use the in ground pool more than the above ground and the first reason is the temperature. I don’t have a heater in my in ground pool either (it was five grand) but the ground insulates it so much more than the above ground which we didn’t start using at all until early or mid June and stopped in mid August because it was just too cold. The other reason seems really stupid and doesn’t make sense, but it’s just a lot easier to get in and out of an in ground pool. I don’t know what it is but even if you have a deck, it’s just not the same. Finally, an in ground pool has multiple depths, so it’s just more fun to be in than an above ground pool. Don’t get me wrong, we had tons of fun in the above ground pool but dare I say the tens of thousands I spent on the in ground pool was worth it. Especially now because the same pool is a fair bit more expensive.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@captainhook Totally get your points. Hate climbing up the ladder and down into the pool. Since it is above ground the air cools it much more quickly. Multiple depths would be better as well. Cleaning would be easier. I was going to put a deck in but the cost is pricey and the work. Think I would just use the selling point and buying a new home with a pool option down the road.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Some times you just gotta go with your gut and buy the 255FSH, family does not know best lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some times you just gotta go with your gut and buy the 255FSH, family does not know best lol
I like your thought process. May have to let things simmer as another kid starts figuring out college this summer. Also waiting to see how the boat market is going to shake out and prices.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My in ground pool has a leak. 2G to fix. Big back log so I've been waiting since December. Love/hate our pool. It's heated tho. And we heat the snot out of it. Hot tub ay 103 and pool at 90-93

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors , I hope you don’t mind but I plan to keep adding to this thread as we installed an above ground 22’x12’ pool and are getting quotes for a wrap around pool level deck for it. Imagine the first pick with the deck covering the areas currently occupied by the empty trailer and planter (full of parts from an AR 240). So far I’ve converted to a salt water system and got a pool vacuum which keeps maintenance to a minimum. I also added multi color leds so it looks nice at night, the only time i think it looks nice right now. It was installed in mid august and we stopped using it in early October, so it’s been a backyard ornament more than a pool in use for months.
24B29A50-6482-43A2-B5F3-042D8B8D144D.jpeg

the plastic radiator like solar heater mat
that came with the pool started leaking after just three weeks, I woke up to a half empty pool and a soggy backyard. I’ve since bought a 120v pool heater for $1,100 but haven’t yet installed it. My wife claims she will use the pool more if it’s heated. Not really an issue here in summer when the average high is over 90 degrees but I’m sure it will help at the start and end of the seasons, thankfully we have solar power so are electric bills should stay low. Still I’m looking at supplementing the electric heater with two 2’x20’ solar heater/radiator like pads for another $400. We also just bought a large adjustable umbrella for the pending deck for another $600.
DD446E0E-E425-4284-871C-1BC43DE23F22.png
0086A623-E744-4381-A578-9DF4A6675DD1.png
the total costs so far are $650 for the pool, $450 for the saltwater filter system, $150 for the pool vac, about $200 for salt and other chemicals and test strips, $1,100, plus another $100 for a pool cover (the stock one ripped the first time it was installed), $100 for pool stools, $50 for a skimmer, $600 for the umbrella. $200 to install/repair/rewire electrical to the back yard. Sub-total is $3,500 so far.

it Scares me to think about what the deck is going to cost but we have budgeted $10,000. Financially this is way out of balance. I’m going to feel obligated to use it when all is said and done.

More than a little frustrating especially since I can see the community center in ground pool from my bedroom window and can use it for $5 a day.

if I lived on fast water I’d be looking really hard at the deal reflected in the last pic. Unfortunately I don’t have that first world problem.
A226249F-43A3-4580-9352-77E060A60AB1.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My in ground pool has a leak. 2G to fix. Big back log so I've been waiting since December. Love/hate our pool. It's heated tho. And we heat the snot out of it. Hot tub ay 103 and pool at 90-93
Do you know what it costs per month to heat your pool? It sounds expensive.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Can't help but laugh at the prices above (no offense). It cost me 20k to redo the surface of my pool and deck in 2020. I've heard in todays world a new inground pool and pavers is pushing 100k.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie I reviewed the solar panels you linked and wasn't sure they would help. My pool has 13,600 gallons. I am looking at the EcoPoolTech you linked. I have Electricity at the pool, way in the back yard, but only 120v. I am starting to get some thoughts if it would work and heat the pool up, but if don't want to say anything to the family as of yet.