• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the water Help User Group - Join to Help or post @HELP when you are in urgent need

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did that and didn't feel like there was anything there. Should I try harder?

Also, the water doesn't feel like its shooting out as fast as it should be. Is there a way to clean that?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You probably sucked up some weeds or plastic bag. If you don't find anything through the clean out port you may want to put it on the trailer or swim mask it under the boat but it does sound like a classic debris scenero.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did that and didn't feel like there was anything there. Should I try harder?

Also, the water doesn't feel like its shooting out as fast as it should be. Is there a way to clean that?
Check the cooling water intake. Its the small square thing in the left (if your facing the back of the boat) and make sure it is not covered. small crap can cover it and ruin a day. I'll look for a pick.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You probably sucked up some weeds or plastic bag. If you don't find anything through the clean out port you may want to put it on the trailer or swim mask it under the boat but it does sound like a classic debris scenero.
Agreed. If you decide to swim mask it, be extremely careful that you do not get your hand/wrist caught in the intake and watch your head as the boat moves up and down with wave and/or wake action - either case is potentially deadly.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Totally agree with @Julian You have classic signs of an obstruction in the impeller/pump. It could be something wedged between the impeller and housing or wrapped on the shaft. Put the boat back on the trailer and grab a flashlight.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yep, don't know how many times someone has checked their pump and not found anything, then got a bright flashlight out or pulled the pump, and discovered a small piece or driftwood or something similar. Loss of thrust with vibration = cavitation. Pulling the pump isn't that hard and easier to determine what is stuck in there. Be advised that it is common that once you pull the boat out of the water, driftwood can dry and shrink, and actually fall out! Making it hard to determine what was the problem.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@aaron jansen This could also be some fine fishing line - wrapped around the shaft - may be difficult to see/feel.
I'm surprised you did not get the customary overheat error code.

--

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the above advice. Sounds like a classic case of cavitation. You're looking for something as small as a toothpick or piece of fishing line wrapped around the shaft. Also, it's possible that some silicone came loose on the intake. Good luck, should be a simple fix once you find the culprit.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can get the boat on the trailer so you can look at the shaft directly. If you are lucky whatever is causing cavitation has already fallen out or will when you pull the boat out of the water. It could also be a something like fishing line wrapped around the part of the shaft you can't see or easily feel though the cleanout port.

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone, I am going to get this thing on the trailer and will update. Appreciate all the responses.

If it is the pump, is that easy to remove? There is a marina nearby I can possibly borrow some tools from.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Disconnect the buckets and 4 bolts
There may be instructions in faq

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That'll do it...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Where is the rest of that impeller and what damage did it do on the way out?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length