• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinions on Throttle Sync

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Worth the $150?

I'm having trouble keeping the new SX210 at the same levels when driving at low and high speeds. Seems one wants to be at a different Rpm and just seems like I'm always trying to raise one or lower one.

Read a few reviews on throttle sync but they were older threads. Want some opinions on some that have had them installed for a while.

Was it with the money? Did it work and keep both engines at same rpm.

One thing I am also struggling with is sometimes no wake mode is not fast enough when the water is coming against you in no wake modes and I have to keep my hand on both handles and hold it forward as if I let go it goes back to a speed that is way too slow. It just seems they won't stay put where I want them to. And also when getting at a slightly higher speed where the handles will stay put the Rpms still struggle to stay together.

On a side note, if one engine is at 6000 and ones at 7000 is it a big deal long term? How important is having them synced very close together when driving over the long haul?

Thanks as always to the responses in advance!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before doing anything, you want to make sure that the throttles themselves are fairly closely synced. Search for the thread on adjusting throttle cables.

I've had throttle sync for several seasons and I'm very happy with it. My cables were just about right to begin with so I didn't need an adjustment.

TS makes it easy to keep the engines working together. And when you want them separate, you just slide the switch and you are back to "stock" configuration.

On my boat the throttles stay in place better (no rpm downward creep) than prior to installation.

Plus, I just find it more comfortable for my oversized meat hooks.

It's well made and easy to install.

I was skeptical of the price too, but I'm very glad I bought it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't comment on how well they work. But it makes no difference if the engines aren't in sync. But the way they work requires that you manually adjust the throttle cables so they are in sync, then just locks them in place. Always seemed like more trouble than it was worth to me.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got mine years ago as a scratch and dent item for under $100. The rational being that they would make using the boat easier for my wife. There is a little play between the throttles so I can fine tune the synch if the Rpms are within 400 rpm when the TS is engaged. Does it work? Yes but my wife still doesn't drive the boat much and I don't need it so mine goes unused mostly because I forget I have it more often than not. If I remember I will engage it whenever a guest driver gets behind the wheel. The TS does add to the thickness of the throttle grips which is something to consider if the space between your throttle hand and the top of the area where the throttles are is already tight.

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dont use mine that much but my wife who only drives the boat during launch/retrieve loves it. She says it makes it easier for her to control the throttles.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My OCD loved them as far as throttle lever placement. As far as keeping the engines in sync, don't buy them for that reason. I adjusted my cables to as close to perfect as I could, but with the throttle sync on, there were still spots in the range when the engines weren't synced perfectly. I seemingly always had it unlocked and tweaking position on one or the other.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @biglar155. At low rpm I still have to get them pretty much synced before locking them in. When I find no wake a little slow, I bring it up to 3000 rpm, then lock in the throttle sync. Generally one throttle lever holds firm while the other slips back at the lower rpm range. The throttle sync uses the throttle lever that doesn't slip as a crutch to hold the lever that does slip. I use it on every trip.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased for ease of use. After fitting I sync engine revs by adjusting the linkage but I now find I'm obsessed with keeping the revs bang on equal, especially with having a digital rpm on connext.

At cruising speed sometimes the revs do alter but you can still use the slack in the TS to realign.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had them in my AR240 and really liked them. I think the biggest benefit was when it gets choppy and you need to make quick adjustments to the throttles. I actually never unlocked them once I installed them.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just installed them... they are a little bulky, but just like the Stargazer, they are a marriage saver!
Use it most of the time..

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had mine installed for a few years and definitely recommend them. Certainly not a necessity, but makes general throttle control easier, especially for the less frequent drivers. Helps keep the revs closer, make it a bit easier at slow speed since one throttle is less likely to over rev the other, and I think they help keep revs from pulling back as much since the tighter cable tension has to overcome both sides when connected.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the throttle sync, and it's very well made, and easy to install. As others have stated, you need to have the throttles in sync for this to work well. My throttles were off by about 600 RPM and all the throttle sync did for me was to give me a consistent 600 RPM difference at all times. I now have my throttles synced almost perfectly and really don't use the throttle sync much any more, in fact I like to have the throttles separate for the most part so that I can use the throttles as a steering aid. At this point I'd probably not buy it again.