• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Our 2012 SX240 - for the record, I'm blaming you guys! :-)

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago but we've been having too much fum! Can't go boating this week end because of some family things (it's killing me!) so I thought it was about time I posted.

Spent months and months going back and forth new/used. Got plenty of great advice in both directions from @txav8r, @OCMD, @MikeyL and many others - directly or indirectly by spending what my wife described as "every waking moment" reading this forum (and even the odd foray to the "other" place) and I wanted to thank ALL of you.

Had not actually made up my mind on which way to go until I drove from Maryland to New Hampshire to look at what is now our 2012 SX240 - the owner described it as in pristine conditions, has 3 years of Y.E.S. and (had!) 72 hours of freshwater-only use on the engines. There's some dock rash on the starboard bow, a nickel sized half-moon tear in the port swim deck cushion (anchor whoops, apparently), and a Kenwood KMR-M308BT HU that the previous owned kludged into place to replace the failed stock HU. The scrapes are minor and I'll be fixing them - and adding my own. The HU is going to be on eBay shortly. Factor it all in, and the close to $20k difference between this one and new and the decision became easier. Not easy, mind you, @MikeyL made a pretty good argument for a new one!

20150426_151421.jpg

20150523_181011.jpg

Its temporary home(s) until the boat lift is put in...

P5258405r.jpg
20150526_122215r.jpg
So, why do I say I blame you guys?

Because my wife was making fun of me about mods even before we got the boat:

• I knew that whichever way we went I'd want trailer guides so we had those a week before the boat (and she understood the point when she got to watch a guy go up and down the ramp three times because the boat was not lined up).
  • We have a mile to run in canals to get to open water. We tried it a couple of times without TVs. I honestly did not find it that challenging but my wife was wandering all over the canal. A quick phone call to Will and problem solved.
  • While on the phone with Will, Tru-Locks ordered (but not installed yet)
  • Stickers mostly removed. I mean, really, who the hell needs a sticker to remind them that they might fall in if they stand on the gunwales? No shit, Sherlock!
  • Carpets removed, family debate raging as to SeaDek color to choose.
  • Salt-Away - I have a whole other post for that... great company, crap quality control.
  • Based on comments and posts read here, I have some 40 items in an Amazon wish list that (again, according to you guys ;)) I absolutely am going to need! According to her, family and friends are good for Father's Day, birthday, & Christmas suggestions for a while. (Look, a grill is essential!)
  • And then there is the matter of the boat lift - we're in brackish water so she is NOT sitting in that. Our community only allows four post or elevator lifts so, of course, we've gone with the pricier elevator lift... Should be installed in the next couple of weeks.
And yes, every time she sees a line on the credit card that says Amazon, West Marine, or Overton's, I just tell her YOU made me buy it!

(Oh, yeah, 9 hours on the boat in a couple of week ends, what a BLAST!)

1 and only 1 comment ...................

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely done, killer boat, great photos, and love the docking area we discussed. :thumbsup: :winkingthumbsup" [flag]
Many Blessed Wishes for a great Boating Season !
And yes ... Every time I am out on the 2015 Miss B'Haven, I'll be thinkin' of you (24 footer). LOL !
Take Care, Mikey Lulejian - Havin' wayyyyy more FUN than anyone's allowed on Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
Congrats on the boat! Good looking Yammie you got there! And it's all good, because I blame YOU guys too!

Happy people are the nicest people, enjoy the boat with the family.

Thanks guys!
@MikeyL - I meant to say, you were absolutely right... the LCDs are a POC! Push, push, push, push, squint, push push squint!
Also, I forgot to add to done mods: Optima Blue top battery and Stolz roller (what a disgusting piece of JUNK the stock one is!!!).
And to pending mods: Jet Boaters sticker, dual battery and circuit, and this baby (yeah, @txav8r this one's your fault! :cool:)

20150526_204508r.jpg

Congrats on the new boat.....glad to see the mods have begun....LOL

Who...ME??? You will love that HU! Congrats on the ongoing mods!

Congratulations. Beautiful boat and home.

Congrats @msavold

I am going to be in the same situation come early 2016....

I'm in SoMD as well...how did you find this beauty?

I'll be posting my lovely questions soon I have about 10 or so written up lol.

Thanks again folks!

Oh, and I forgot Keel Guard on order for the list of mods!!! @txav8r, we need to talk battery and stereo mods! (later... must slow down a bit or management will not be happy!)

@chess - craigslist! And the secret to happiness there is www.searchtempest.com! Lets you search for any ad for an SX240 (or whatever) in the whole country, sorted by distance from you. Of course there is also this site and the other one, Pop Yachts (consistently over-priced - they seem to solicit CL ads and mark them up 10% to cover their fee), and boattrader.com One more thought, by the way... I'd give serious consideration to shopping in the fall of 2015, early 2016 at the latest. Sellers (and dealers) are hungriest - as others have documented and I can confirm, prices seem to be the lowest then and, of course, rise as the season approaches. As one dealer said to me, "once the calendar says May, all deals/discounts are pretty much gone". Fire away with the list - you've come to the right place! (PS: where in S. MD?)

Thanks again folks!

Oh, and I forgot Keel Guard on order for the list of mods!!! @txav8r, we need to talk battery and stereo mods! (later... must slow down a bit or management will not be happy!)

@chess - craigslist! And the secret to happiness there is www.searchtempest.com! Lets you search for any ad for an SX240 (or whatever) in the whole country, sorted by distance from you. Of course there is also this site and the other one, Pop Yachts (consistently over-priced - they seem to solicit CL ads and mark them up 10% to cover their fee), and boattrader.com One more thought, by the way... I'd give serious consideration to shopping in the fall of 2015, early 2016 at the latest. Sellers (and dealers) are hungriest - as others have documented and I can confirm, prices seem to be the lowest then and, of course, rise as the season approaches. As one dealer said to me, "once the calendar says May, all deals/discounts are pretty much gone". Fire away with the list - you've come to the right place! (PS: where in S. MD?)

@msavold I appreciate it... ive gone to CL, Boattrader, etc... but it seems alot of those are hit or miss type deals ya know ! I am more than willing to take my time, the other thing is since I am not paying cash out of pocket for this is the double apr% versus buying new from Yamaha....

I am down in California, I grew up in Lexington Park, MD moved away for college hence the WVU logo as my avatar, went there for 5 awesome years, lived in Gaithersburg for a few years then moved back due to a job.. My parents, and sister are here so it makes it nice... Its a quaint little town, thats booming now.

Nice boat I am only 4 hours into my new boat. Months of time on forum. I 2nd what a blast .

Congrats on the boat. You will find no shortage of people here who are willing to help you spend your money.

Congrats @msavold on the new boat. You got a beauty. Great find!!!

Congrats! She's a beauty!

This may be a free forum (as in you don't have to pay to join) but you'll end up PAYING in the end!! We all have done the same thing! Come on in, the water is great!! :D:D:D:D

Back