• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Parts help! <Scarab Impeller>

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
So my local scarab dealer has dropped the brand and can no longer get parts,any help is appreciated! I’m in upstate NY near Lake George.

Last edited:

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
If anyone is a dealer and is willing to overnight ship please let me know!

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have no personal experience with this, but this specific dealer is incredibly helpful on the Facebook Scarab page. Everybody seems to have a pretty amazing experience with his "part's guy" and it sounds like they ship as needed. But don't quote me on this, just try them out. Of course, they have limits too. Here's a quote from Facebook: "Call the parts manager Paul with your Hull ID number and he will get you a quote 504-461-0011". The place is called New Orleans Power Sports.

Now I'm curious, how does a driveshaft/impeller "fail" three times in 35h?

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Thank you!

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
After you get it fixed, call Scarab directly and file a lemon law complaint. 3x in 35 hours?! WTAF

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
After you get it fixed, call Scarab directly and file a lemon law complaint. 3x in 35 hours?! WTAF
They won’t return my calls...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
They won’t return my calls...
Document everything and contact your state office of consumer protection. And then after that boat is fixed, and while the market is hot, SELL IT.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, this is a very odd problem. I've been monitoring a lot of this and other jet boaters social media. Yours seems to be a very rare problem indeed. Something must be wrong... engine alignment makes the most sense. Any water coming into the boat? If it is misaligned by this much, your carbon seal could be leaking. But at 35h, I would seek actual warranty help here... good luck.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So my local scarab dealer has dropped the brand and can no longer get parts, I had a driveshaft/impeller failure for the third time in 35 hours on my 2014 Scarab 215. Desperately seeking replacement parts and can’t find anything online, any help is appreciated! I’m in upstate NY near Lake George.
Can you describe in a little more detail what you mean by a driveshaft/impeller failure? Was this human error, bad part, something else???

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Can you describe in a little more detail what you mean by a driveshaft/impeller failure? Was this human error, bad part, something else???
I’ll have some pictures later today

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did they replace the P T O as well when this happened?

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man, that's pretty crappy. A mechanical failure like this is indeed very rare. I've been working with splined shafts in many applications for most of my life, and I've never seen them stripped. Torqued, twisted, broken shafts, but never stripped. The only way that I can see something like that happening is from a loose retaining bolt on the impeller causing impeller wiggle and spline wear over time, which would eventually strip the drive splines. This would also cause considerable wear on the impeller splines, which would allow the impeller to wiggle ever so slightly on any new shaft that is put on. In a situation like this, it would be absolutely silly to only replace the driveshaft. Both shaft and impeller would need to be replaced, or else the problem will resurface as the impeller with worn splines wiggles around on the new driveshaft.
As Luc mentioned, unlikely an alignment issues as this would cause premature carbon seal failure.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man, that's pretty crappy. A mechanical failure like this is indeed very rare. I've been working with splined shafts in many applications for most of my life, and I've never seen them stripped. Torqued, twisted, broken shafts, but never stripped. The only way that I can see something like that happening is from a loose retaining bolt on the impeller causing impeller wiggle and spline wear over time, which would eventually strip the drive splines. This would also cause considerable wear on the impeller splines, which would allow the impeller to wiggle ever so slightly on any new shaft that is put on. In a situation like this, it would be absolutely silly to only replace the driveshaft. Both shaft and impeller would need to be replaced, or else the problem will resurface as the impeller with worn splines wiggles around on the new driveshaft.
As Luc mentioned, unlikely an alignment issues as this would cause premature carbon seal failure.
Not sure what I proposed is even possible. A loose retaining bolt would allow some forward/backward movement (not so much wiggle as suggested above) which would eventually cause spline wear. Are you confident in your service guys?

Dsawyer16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Not sure what I proposed is even possible. A loose retaining bolt would allow some forward/backward movement (not so much wiggle as suggested above) which would eventually cause spline wear. Are you confident in your service guys?
I can’t say much about the dealer, they seemed OK.

Last edited:

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Great, let us know if he figures it out. We’re all learning here, and many people who use this forum do their own R&M. The more we know, the more we can help.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well the P T O has the splines inside it that connect to the splines on the driveshaft to turn it so when one gets trashed the other gets trashed and if you replace the driveshaft without replacing the P T O at the same time you can expect the worn out P T O to destroy the new splines on the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
ell the P T O has the splines inside it that connect to the splines on the driveshaft to turn it so when one gets trashed the other gets trashed and if you replace the driveshaft without replacing the P T O at the same time you can expect the worn out P T O to destroy the new splines on the driveshaft.
Exactly, can’t just replace one component.

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Dsawyer16 this wouldnt happen to to Alpin Haus would it? Their service dept has not impressed me... never mind the 240 month loans they are advertising :rolleyes:. Unfortunately in many ways, they are the only game in town, and they are wildly aware of it- I had trouble finding anyone to work on BRP boats in the area, one of the reasons I switched.

When I was looking for some odd parts for my C180 right before a holiday weekend I found a guy that was parting out a low hour Seadoo Speedster 150 (hull damage) with a 215 from the Amsterdam/Broadalbin area. He was super helpful even meeting me at like 8am to source what I needed before he hit the lake himself! Being under warranty I am not sure how far you really want to dig into it on your own but if you're interested, shoot me a PM I can try to dig up his number- you might find some parts or even a spare engine locally.