• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Patching a towing/mooring cover?

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I noticed a small hols or slits in my cover this morning. It is right on the corner of the boat in the back. I think maybe I slightly rubbed something backing the boat into storage last time? I didn't think I hit anything, but now this. Anyway is it possible that something like that can be patched? The cover is less than a year old.

I noticed a small hols or slits in my cover this morning. It is right on the corner of the boat in the back. I think maybe I slightly rubbed something backing the boat into storage last time? I didn't think I hit anything, but now this. Anyway is it possible that something like that can be patched? The cover is less than a year old.

I bought a canvas repair kit from Amazon and repaired some large holes from Mice while it was stored in my garage attic.....they have all held so far and seemed to work pretty good. I've had it on for a couple of years now and some of the holes were 5" in diameter. I didn't sew it, just cut two pieces to size and glued it together from both sides.

Amazon.com: Complete Repair Kit for Canvas Tents, Pop-Up Campers, Tarps, Marine and Boat Covers | with 6oz Tear Mender Glue, Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl/Needles, Over 6 Sq Ft of Canvas and 30 Yards of Waxed Thread : Sports & Outdoors

I clipped a fence post in febuary and patched wiht Tear-Aid Type A, putting on both sides of the tear. It worked well but did not hold up in the Florida Heat and Sun and after 3 months needed repaired again. I just made a patch with Sunbrella and Tear Mender fabric glue and covered both sides. I guess will see how long the new patch lasts. The pics im attaching are the before, the Tear Aid patch, the Tear Aid after 3 months and the new Sunbrella patch. Hope that helps1659288247456.jpeg
1659288283781.jpeg
1659288426431.jpeg
1659288483966.jpeg

I had a small tear in the bow area of mine and a neighbor seamstress just sowed on some black sunbrella fabric and it's been fine for 2 years. Probably stronger than the fabric around it!

Had a small tear and used gorilla tape on it. Worked for awhile...

Thanks for the inputs... I have fabric on order and got the tear mender glue overnight from Amazon. I think maybe a combination of patch sewn and glued on? or at least glued and if that doesn't work find someone who can stitch.

Thanks for the inputs... I have fabric on order and got the tear mender glue overnight from Amazon. I think maybe a combination of patch sewn and glued on? or at least glued and if that doesn't work find someone who can stitch.
If your ordering sunbrella make sure you cut with a hot knife or it will start to unwravel. I got a cheap solder iron with a blade on amazon for 13 bucks. Thats my plan too, if the glue doesnt work get it stiched in palce.

I’ve used the tear mender glue and have been very pleased. When we first got the AR230 the cover was ripped in the rear corner, one by a tower point and had a hole in the top center from the windshield rubber tit. I patched all of them with canvas and the glue and it held up great, even trailering down the interstate.
6C9EB4DF-A523-4A0D-80CD-2DA43284C26F.jpeg

Back