• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picking the boat (Ar192) up Tuesday, towing question

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused on the tower position question. My dealer said to collapse the tower for long distance towing as it reduces drag, is this wrong?

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm confused on the tower position question. My dealer said to collapse the tower for long distance towing as it reduces drag, is this wrong?
According to the owners manual this is wrong. I downloaded the manual and it says to not operate OR tow the vehicle with the tower in the collapsed position. Logical thinking says have it down and less drag, but apparently it's not good for the boat

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to know. Thanks for answering that. I haven't gone anywhere far yet so thankfully I haven't lowered it yet either.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Good to know. Thanks for answering that. I haven't gone anywhere far yet so thankfully I haven't lowered it yet either.
No problem! I see you are from Westerville....do you go to Buckeye Lake?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
According to the owners manual this is wrong. I downloaded the manual and it says to not operate OR tow the vehicle with the tower in the collapsed position. Logical thinking says have it down and less drag, but apparently it's not good for the boat
Mine doesn't collapse (I wish it did). But don't they ship them from the manufacture collapsed?

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I always trailer with my tower up, but it came with two short aluminum brackets that go in place of the longer bars. I see no reason why you couldn't trailer it with those in place, especially since like @itsdgm said, they ship from the factory using those brackets.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
TOWER UP...Shipping cover optional but if you opt to NOT use the cover make sure you take OUT the cushions or you may be missing a few by the time your home !!!

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
TOWER UP...Shipping cover optional but if you opt to NOT use the cover make sure you take OUT the cushions or you may be missing a few by the time your home !!!
x2

My dealer told me not to worry about using the shipping cover when towing home 8 hours. After my first stop I noticed a few cushions on the floor and all over the boat. I am very lucky none flew out. Needless to say I don't do that anymore lol

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
When towing long distances I always towed with the tower down. Yamaha ships them with the tower down.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
There will definitely be a cover on it for the ride home. I pulled the old boat a time or two with no cover and found a seat or two laying on the floor. This was just on 40 min trips. No more LOL.

Seems there are A LOT of mixed feelings on the tower. Here is a screenshot from the owners manual I downloaded. I would also argue that the boats are shipped on a lowboy and are not pulled to the dealer ( I think?) So maybe that is why they are shipped down?

Attachments

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem! I see you are from Westerville....do you go to Buckeye Lake?
Pretty much exclusively we go to Alum Creek. We only live a couple miles away and our storage spot is only 4/10 of a mile from the ramp (when the park finally opens the one closest to our storage that is). I've wanted to take to other places but just haven't had the chance yet.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! If you have never owned a boat with a tower before then there are 2 VERY important measurements you need to know. Max height on the water and Max height on the trailer. Make sure you know both and you check your clearances or the bad thing will happen. Good news is that all wires going over roads should be more than tall enough so if you happen to pull one down the utility company owes you for damages as long as you are on the paved part of the road. Watch out for old railroad bridges, fast food restaurants and gas station canopies.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do recall reading a thread about those with towers trailering long distances and bug splatters. Many on that discussion recommended masking tape on the leading edge of the tower as a simple way to keep it clean and bug splatter free....

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat. Glad you're back in the water!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat..Great fun awaits you !!

I'm caught way off guard with this tower up/down debate. I tow to/from the docks with it up (3 miles) for convenience.....there is one bridge I don't fit under I see occasionally so I collapse it on that, long hauls I collapse it. The offset tower brackets are a great deal more stout a connection than the tower up and racking back/forth.....This thought is an extension of crossing the gulf or hitting a wake wrong where the tower shakes and loosens up.has to be harsh on the connection to the hull. (spider cracks?)

so the offset brackets are made just for garage use?

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat. Glad you're back in the water!
Thanks Neal! Sorry it wasn't your boat, but we are back on the water AND the wife is happy :)

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Will do!! Been on the road about 4 hours. Fuel and breakfast break :)

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I folded my tower down when I brought my boat home 2 weeks ago. I had no issues with it like that. I did it so I wouldnt get any chips on it since I had to trailer 5 hours one way. I did read the manual after the fact and can say watching it in the rear view mirror, it shook a little which I guess could cause the brackets to fatigue and break possibly. I had no issues and if I was trailering a long distance again, I would fold it again or use the masking tape trick. I didn't get the shipping cover with mine as the dealer I bought from had to get it from another dealer and apparently they kept it... but I did get the spare tire and holder free of charge so now I need to buy the cover from Yamaha. :/

image.jpg

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Stop #2. In Tennessee now. I am going to flip a coin in the tower lol.

Shipping cover for way home. I'll open the morning cover later.