• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plain Docklines, Snubbers, or bungies for Entire-Summer Slip?

MGrande305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
24' Chaparral Jetboat w/Swim platform. I'm getting a slip for the summer (floating front and side dock w/Cleats, no pilings), i.e. boat will be moored in the water all summer in this slip. Wondering what is best to use for mooring configuration...Just plain docklines, docklines w/snubbers,or Bungie style docklines. Also I plan on backing it in rather than face fwd for easier access via transom to dockbox and electrical hookup. Also any suggestions for the tie-up configuration would be great! Thanks in Advance!

Floating dock....

In my opinion lines will be fine. Any wakes or large swells a possibility?

There are a couple of ways to tie up to a slip, it depends on the cleat layout. The dock lines are pretty straight forward. The spring lines can be tied a couple of ways. I use 3 docklines. The starboard side stern line can be used, if the cleats are at the right angle, to keep your boat from leaning on the fenders and dock finger when in the slip. Snubbers really depend on the amount of wave action you are subjected to. I never needed snubbers or chaffe guards with our Yamaha while slipped. Our Beneteau, 12k#, at another marina went thru a set of 3/4 " yacht braid dock lines in the first month. I switched to 3-strand nylon, it is tougher, and installed snubbers and chaffe guards and have been fine since. I also put a fender at the port side rear cleat on the finger. It helped me spot my slip when all the boats were out without needing to read slip #'s. Never used a bunjee and never will.

It should look something like this. How did @Babin Farms know I had a diagram, lol.

20210323_140755.jpg

Last edited:
Plain lines for me. You don't want your boat to always be pulled against the dock (which is what the bungee type lines do). Those bungee lines are ok for loading people, or rafting up. Tie you boat loosely enough that the boat isn't pulled against the dock and tight enough that it can't twist and hit bow or stern.

Floating dock....

In my opinion lines will be fine. Any wakes or large swells a possibility?
No wakes/swells...it is in a sheltered marina in Great Lakes...thanks!

There are a couple of ways to tie up to a slip. The dock line are pretty straight forward. The spring lines can be tied a couple of ways. I use 3 docklines. The starboard side stern line can be used, if the cleats are at the right angle, to keep your boat from leaning on the fenders and dock finger when in the slip. Snubbers really depend on the amount of wave action you are subjected to. I never needed snubbers or chaffe guards with our Yamaha while slipped. Our Beneteau, 12k#, at another marina went thru a set of 3/4 " yacht braid dock lines in the first month. I switched to 3-strand nylon, it is tougher, and installed snubbers and chaffe guards and have been fine since. I also put a fender at the port side rear cleat on the finger. It helped me spot my slip when all the boats were out without needing to read slip #'s. Never used a bunjee and never will.

It should look something like this. How did @Babin Farms know I had a diagram, lol.

View attachment 145017
This is awesome! Thanks!

24' Chaparral Jetboat w/Swim platform. I'm getting a slip for the summer (floating front and side dock w/Cleats, no pilings), i.e. boat will be moored in the water all summer in this slip. Wondering what is best to use for mooring configuration...Just plain docklines, docklines w/snubbers,or Bungie style docklines. Also I plan on backing it in rather than face fwd for easier access via transom to dockbox and electrical hookup. Also any suggestions for the tie-up configuration would be great! Thanks in Advance!
@MGrande305 ..... if your boat will not see consistent rough water from waves/wakes then bungee cords are fine. If your boat runs the risk of being jerked or bounced then I'd go with dock lines and snubbers with spring lines. Snubbers are awesome shock absorbers - you will need to size the lines and snubbers to the weight of your boat. Lines and snubbers that are too big will not provide enough shock absorption. :cool:

I leave mine in the slip all summer...every summer. I have the luxury of it being on a locked dock so only people with Keys have access to it. We are in a marina and there's barely a ripple in the water. I use four lines 2 off the bow cleats and 2 off the stern...which keep the boat from shifting more than about 4-6" fore and aft. Since we are on a locked dock, we basically leave the lines tied to the dock all summer and simply slip the looped end of them on/off the boat cleats as needed.

I'm in a 10' wide slip with a 8.5' boat so I use only one fender ties to the mid-ship cleat and this is enough to keep the boat off the dock. I used to do another fender hanging off the tower, but it was too tight of a fit and put some wrinkles in the graphics.

I leave mine in the slip all summer...every summer. I have the luxury of it being on a locked dock so only people with Keys have access to it. We are in a marina and there's barely a ripple in the water. I use four lines 2 off the bow cleats and 2 off the stern...which keep the boat from shifting more than about 4-6" fore and aft. Since we are on a locked dock, we basically leave the lines tied to the dock all summer and simply slip the looped end of them on/off the boat cleats as needed.

I'm in a 10' wide slip with a 8.5' boat so I use only one fender ties to the mid-ship cleat and this is enough to keep the boat off the dock. I used to do another fender hanging off the tower, but it was too tight of a fit and put some wrinkles in the graphics.
Do you have an extra bilge pump? Do you have access to power and plug it in? I will be doing the same thing this summer with my boat, but I am concerned about leaving it in the slip during heavy rains. I'm thinking when I add the second bilge on an electronic float switch it won't be an issue. Just wondering if you have had any issues with leaving it it the wet slip the entire summer. I will be in the same situation with a locked marina.

I leave my AR230 in a slip with no shore power and have not had issues with battery drain even with the OE bilge pump.

I leave my AR230 in a slip with no shore power and have not had issues with battery drain even with the OE bilge pump.
thanks, that's good to know.

No problem in a slip for 6 months a year, other than growth on the bottom. Keep it covered and the bilge pump will not run that much. You are gonna have water down there that the pump will not reach unless you install another pump down in the real bilge. I would worry more about the plastic scupper thru hull failing than anything else.

Edit: I too slipped on a dock for 3 seasons with no access to power, 1 battery, factory bilge pump and plastic scupper. It felt like playing Russian Roulette. Being on a dock with no power is better for everything aluminum below the waterline, even with "zincs".
The Beneteau is at a slip with shore power connected, battery charger and solar power keeping the batteries topped off. The only metal below the waterline is a S.S. prop shaft w/ shaft zinc and the bronze prop. with zinc. cone.

Last edited:
No problem in a slip for 6 months a year, other than growth on the bottom. Keep it covered and the bilge pump will not run that much. You are gonna have water down there that the pump will not reach unless you install another pump down in the real bilge. I would worry more about the plastic scupper thru hull failing than anything else.
I am going to install a second bilge before I put it in the slip. I am replacing the pissers and pump thru hulls, is the scupper valve something that you recommend replacing with stainless?

Last edited:
Leave boat in a slip with no power (deliberately) and no issues with one bilge pump (knock on wood!) did swap my oem flooded battery for an AGM TPPL for lots of extra durability and super fast re-charging. :cool:

Yes, there have been a couple of plastic scupper failures last year in that year/model/series. S.S. replacement is the safe way to go. There are threads here about them, but I am in my woods now and can't search on my phone.

Last edited:
I use the towing cover on it and that keeps water out. I also have the built in solar panels so that keeps my house battery charged throughout the summer.

If you don't have the integrated solar panels, you can easily set up a system on your boat. I believe yours has a tower on it which makes it even easier. Here's a link to the system I used for my 2009 that didn't have an integrated system...and it worked great as well. I used Battery Tender panel as it comes with the integrated controller module. https://jetboaters.net/threads/solar-battery-charger-install-w-pics.3414/#post-60050

I use the towing cover on it and that keeps water out. I also have the built in solar panels so that keeps my house battery charged throughout the summer.

If you don't have the integrated solar panels, you can easily set up a system on your boat. I believe yours has a tower on it which makes it even easier. Here's a link to the system I used for my 2009 that didn't have an integrated system...and it worked great as well. I used Battery Tender panel as it comes with the integrated controller module. https://jetboaters.net/threads/solar-battery-charger-install-w-pics.3414/#post-60050
cool, thanks!

Back