• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plain Docklines, Snubbers, or bungies for Entire-Summer Slip?

I've slipped my Yamaha jet boats for 16 years. Started with slips with no power. I learned that the back pressure bilge would drain my single small battery on my LX210 in 3 weeks, so I put in a 2nd battery and installed a bilge alarm (in case the bilge failed she would cry (alarm) until she sank).

Once I got to NC I got a dock with shore power - so I use that to keep the batteries topped off and feel much better about it. If I was to go back to no shore power now, I'd likely buy solar panels (if I didn't already have them).

I've slipped my Yamaha jet boats for 16 years. Started with slips with no power. I learned that the back pressure bilge would drain my single small battery on my LX210 in 3 weeks, so I put in a 2nd battery and installed a bilge alarm (in case the bilge failed she would cry (alarm) until she sank).

Once I got to NC I got a dock with shore power - so I use that to keep the batteries topped off and feel much better about it. If I was to go back to no shore power now, I'd likely buy solar panels (if I didn't already have them).
The 242 has two batteries and I definitely have shore power and will use. I also am planning on adding a second bilge pump. I think I am adding the SS scupper to my list. I had a 30 foot Crownline recently and that almost sunk because of a bad plastic thru hull for the air conditioner. Imagine putting a plastic thru hull at the bottom of a boat. When I came back to the boat the bilge pumps were barely keeping up with the water flow and it was just below the mecruiser engines. Luckily they at least put a seacock on it so I could shut off the flow. I replaced with a bronze Groco.

Regular lines. Good advice above. Using spring lines is key, as is setting up your line lengths so that the boat can't hit the dock in any direction. You do NOT want your boat rubbing against fenders for any significant period of time as they WILL scuff your gelcoat. I've been wet-slipping our boat for 5-6 months each year since 2012. It has been a fantastic convenience and facilitates us using the boat way more than we otherwise would. Enjoy!

There are a couple of ways to tie up to a slip, it depends on the cleat layout. The dock lines are pretty straight forward. The spring lines can be tied a couple of ways. I use 3 docklines. The starboard side stern line can be used, if the cleats are at the right angle, to keep your boat from leaning on the fenders and dock finger when in the slip. Snubbers really depend on the amount of wave action you are subjected to. I never needed snubbers or chaffe guards with our Yamaha while slipped. Our Beneteau, 12k#, at another marina went thru a set of 3/4 " yacht braid dock lines in the first month. I switched to 3-strand nylon, it is tougher, and installed snubbers and chaffe guards and have been fine since. I also put a fender at the port side rear cleat on the finger. It helped me spot my slip when all the boats were out without needing to read slip #'s. Never used a bunjee and never will.

It should look something like this. How did @Babin Farms know I had a diagram, lol.

View attachment 145017

I took this picture yesterday of the sailboat in her slip. The wind was blowing gusts to 20mph from Astern and the Port quarter. You can kind of see the wind direction by the tension on the lines. Bow spring line taught, port bow line taught, others lines at slack. I just wanted to show and not in a theoretical sketch, that a boat can be tied at a dock without the boat leaning on the fenders against the dock. In most conditions, she is riding free.

20210527_071033.jpg

It works for a 12k# boat, It will work for a 3k# boat too.

Last edited:
When using cleats, I use the cleat hitch to tie the rope. To tie a boat to a piling or a ring, there is an appropriate knot for use as well. Another useful knot is the clove hitch, which can be used for both pilings and dock rings.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, for those that wet slip without power at the dock, did/do you also not have water? If no water, what do you do about flushing the engines (especially those in brackish water)?

Out of curiosity, for those that wet slip without power at the dock, did/do you also not have water? If no water, what do you do about flushing the engines (especially those in brackish water)?
I have power and water at the dock and I wouldn't wet slip without either one. I put the shut off valves on so I can flush while in the slip.

Back