• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please welcome a new Yamaha Jetboater ..

kamaro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I'm a new member to this website, and also a new happy owner of a 2008 Yamaha 230 (not sure if its the SX or the AL, someone may help me on that!).

Long story short, I'm an ex Seadoo jetboat owner, and been fed up with their complexity!, so I decided to search for another project boat that I can work on myself (I can do almost anything mechanically and electrically), so I found this boat been offered for sale, negotioiated the seller a bit more and ended up buying it for $9000. But now, for the sad part of the story, it has a low compression on one cylinder in the port side engine (100 psi, vs 160 for the other 3), and a broken steering cable, and finally a very bad fix in the keel fiberglass (see pics). I'm planning to do everyth8ng myself to keep my budget to the minimum.

Expect a ton of questions in the next few months! 😉

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
AR230, which cylinder #3? You are going to need some work on the bottom, WOW. good canidate for a keel guard.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome: to the forum and congrats on the new boat. Ask away with questions. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Good luck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought there were cookies/snacks in the welcome area ???

Glad to have you on board! Where are you boating at?

kamaro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!!! :Welcome:

That is an AR230 (AR=tower). The FAQ has links to the steering cable fix how to.
Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

AR 230, which cylinder #3? You are going to need some work on the bottom, WOW. good canidate for a keel guard.
Yeah, its the #3 cylinder. Is it a common failure?, I'm preparing myself to pull the engine out and do a total rebuild.

:Welcome: to the forum and congrats on the new boat. Ask away with questions. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Good luck!
Thanks!

I thought there were cookies/snacks in the welcome area ???

Glad to have you on board! Where are you boating at?

I'm located in Qatar. I'll be using it mainly for fishing around the reefs in persian gulf.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Yeah, its the #3 cylinder. Is it a common failure?, I'm preparing myself to pull the engine out and do a total rebuild.

I'm located in Qatar. I'll be using it mainly for fishing around the reefs in persian gulf.
#3 is known to have issues with spark plugs seizing. Though, none that I have seen.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
:Welcome:Looks like a good project boat. Looks like previous owner(s) beached it alot! Good luck!

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
that's one hell of a project! but also one hell of a boat! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome!
What kind of sea doo did you have? an older mercury sport jet? or a new Rotax?

kamaro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:Welcome:Looks like a good project boat. Looks like previous owner(s) beached it alot! Good luck!
Thanks man!

that's one hell of a project! but also one hell of a boat! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome!
What kind of sea doo did you have? an older mercury sport jet? or a new Rotax?
I had a 1999 Speedster with twin 787 rotax engines, it was VERY fast and fun boat, but I needed something larger to take out the family and friends, so I choose the Yamaha AR230.

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Welcome, looks like a fun project!!!

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It’s going to be interesting following your repairs and the online advice. Welcome aboard !

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations on the purchase.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on making the jump to Yamaha! You will much prefer working on them over sea doo