• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Engine stays in gear but has no power

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Well after only taking it out twice I'm already having problems with my '21 212SE.

The port engine stays in F, won't go into N or R, but won't provide any thrust. I can turn the motor on and off, but it doesn't help.

Thanks!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with Zipper,almost certainly your reverse bucket has something stuck in the pivot points. There is a spring clip (that pretty much every dealer forgets to tell owners about, or they don't even know about) on top of the bucket that allows you to disconnect it and move it manually with no cable attached so you can free up the mechanism.

I'm surprised you aren't getting a connext screen error though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
why do you feel that it is going in forward do you see the reverse bucket up. Sounds more like cavitation since the screen is not telling you the bucket is stuck cavitation is caused by trash , weed or anything in the pump or blocking the intake grate so look in the clean out port and the intake under the boat and see if it is blocked as well as have someone check the reverse bucket for movement when you change positions and remember these have NO gears they are direct drive so the prop turns all the time.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure about the newer models but the older Yamahas have a large button at the pivot end of each throttle arm that pushed allows the engine related to that throttle arm to be reved-up without moving the bucket. The button need to be pressed again to re-engage the the bucket.

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok thank you all. The bucket is stuck. There is an error on the screen.

I'm going to try to find the mechanical disconnect and or rev the motor while out of gear.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok thank you all. The bucket is stuck. There is an error on the screen.

I'm going to try to find the mechanical disconnect and or rev the motor while out of gear.
There is no transmission on these boats. The impellor is spinning while the engine is running. The reverse bucket directs that thrust forward or aft depending on it's position.

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok so as Zipper said, no way to disconnect the throttle and rev it like you could in older boats.

I've read the links posted above, but I don't see how I can fix it. Where is the mechanical disconnect for it?

bjlkemper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look at this link and look at item #36 the cable hooks to the ball joint. The cable moves the bucket up or down and changes direction of the water being pushed by impeller. Should be the right link, I used your year, make and model.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok thank you for the diagram - yes I see what you mean. That would help dislodge the bucket, but it wouldn't solve the problem. I'm going to try and find that thing Zipper you are showing on the other thread - that looks like it would fix it.

Thanks!

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok so I figured it out!
I had to reset the computer. Turn the batteries and engines on and then off 5x in a row and then it worked!