• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilt clean out plugs.. don't fit on starboard side?!

Mark C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Long time lurker... but you guys saved me lots of time over the years ;-)

So it was time to rebuild my clean out plugs after some issues on last weeks aborted outing on my 2011 242, has we had not taken the boat out in about 3 months and the plugs were getting more difficult to remove. So I rebuilt them, as I already had the rebuild kit in hand. When I went to plug them back in to test them out, the port side plug installed nice and easy. Both plugs fit easily on the port side. However, neither plug fits on the starboard side. They won't descend into the notch, getting stuck at the top of the metal access "socket" past the black rubber clean out tube. I sanded away the clean out port but with no luck. I could probably force it in, but then won't be able to get it out... Been there, done that stuck plug thing when I bough the boat used years ago. I did pull off the inspection cover and found the hose band at the bottom of the clean out tube had busted. This is the one that connects the black clean out to the plug fittings. I boat in in salt water, and remove and rinse the plugs and clean out ports after ever outing.

After a few hours, not sure what's going on. Is the plug fittings damaged, deformed, or misaligned due to the broken hose clamp on the starboard side? Anyone else ever run into this issue? Obviously need to replace that broken hose band, that will be fun. Looking for any other ideas... Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You mentioned the hose clamp on the clean out tube was broken which makes me wonder if the tube is seated correctly at the bottom. If it’s not seated well, it could be at an angle which would then prevent the plug from being inserted throughly. It would take a lot to break that clamp so I’m also wondering if that plug blew before and caused the tube to be deformed somehow or , another thought is if somehow the top and the bottom of where that tube sets are not in alignment with each other which makes it set at an angle. (Hope all that makes sense.)

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As mentioned above check the 8 screws on the plug, when you rebuilt the plug if you tightened them down too much they bulge the rubber gasket.

Mark C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You mentioned the hose clamp on the clean out tube was broken which makes me wonder if the tube is seated correctly at the bottom. If it’s not seated well, it could be at an angle which would then prevent the plug from being inserted throughly. It would take a lot to break that clamp so I’m also wondering if that plug blew before and caused the tube to be deformed somehow or , another thought is if somehow the top and the bottom of where that tube sets are not in alignment with each other which makes it set at an angle. (Hope all that makes sense.)
Yep.. I've ordered some hose clamps. Amazon just noticed they're on the way ;-)

Mark C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
As mentioned above check the 8 screws on the plug, when you rebuilt the plug if you tightened them down too much they bulge the rubber gasket.
Thanks. Will give that a try. I tightened the screws about the same torque by feel as it took to remove them... easy enough.

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also...as i recall regarding the big clamp on the tube - make sure the clamp section with the screw/worm gear housing isnt sitting right on the slot of the tube, simply spin the clamp a little so it sits to one side and doesn't push in/deform that section preventing the plug from dropping in the slot.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Since both plugs fit in the port side perfectly but neither fit in the starboard side you need to find the issue with that tube, that is the common denominator .

Mark C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Since both plugs fit in the port side perfectly but neither fit in the starboard side you need to find the issue with that tube, that is the common denominator .
Thanks Jeff (we've met years ago.. I have CJ steering and clean out plug safety clip) That is as I suspected. Removed the bilge access tray and installed the new hose clamp, as well as loosened the clean out plug gasket screws for good luck. No luck. And broke the through hull fitting for the bilge tray in the process to keep my lucky streak alive... Ordered those parts.

I tried to grab around the clean out tube down in the bilge looking for any loosening but could not feel anything moving around. But something is mis-aligned or deformed. Boat is on a lift, no trailer, so looks like next step is to get the boat on a trailer and a repair shop as it looks like its beyond something I can repair.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove the tube and see if you can seat the cleanout plug. If it worked before with no issues then it should be a fairly easy fix.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember the bottom of the clean out plug is also the bottom of the hull so look for some issue where the plug goes down even with the hull and also look at the aluminum ring where the top of the plug seats

Mark C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Waiting for the through hull connectors to arrive. I plan to tear into it again to replace/repair those, and will remove the clean out tube and inspect the rings, etc., try to plug in and do it all at once. Will be a few days… will update this post as I progress. Thanks for the help everyone!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Waiting for the through hull connectors to arrive. I plan to tear into it again to replace/repair those, and will remove the clean out tube and inspect the rings, etc., try to plug in and do it all at once. Will be a few days… will update this post as I progress. Thanks for the help everyone!
Good luck....I've found that the channel the plug skirt slides into is the spot that collects the most crap. A good clean with a wire brush maybe all you need....

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to rehash this old thread, but wondering if you had any success @Mark C.
Having the same problem here but with port side on my 2015 242. Both plugs in and out of stbd fine, but port is very difficult. I may try the wire brush cleaning that @Julian mentioned if there aren't any other suggestions.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to rehash this old thread, but wondering if you had any success @Mark C.
Having the same problem here but with port side on my 2015 242. Both plugs in and out of stbd fine, but port is very difficult. I may try the wire brush cleaning that @Julian mentioned if there aren't any other suggestions.
Are you sure you didn't tighten the plug too hard when you reassembled it?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you sure you didn't tighten the plug too hard when you reassembled it?
Both plugs fit fine in the stbd side. But neither fit in the port side. I can try and loosen them a bit but I don’t think that’s the problem

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
go back and read my original suggestions on this thread either there is a problem with the top aluminum ring in the tube where the dogs lock into it or there is a problem at the bottom where the plug comes to the water usually it is the aluminum ring so sand it and clean it and see if that solves the issue.