• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Regal 2100 surf edition test ride

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
today i had the chance to test ride and surf the new regal 2100 surf edition. wow...what a boat. first of all...just the fit and finish of the boat was great. it handled chop like butter and the engine noise was so much quieter. i was a little skepical of the small stock ballast and how that would produce a great wake. however, in a matter of a couple of seconds, the wake was killer. the most amazing thing is to switch from goofy to regular surf in a matter of a couple of seconds. here's a clip of the session....the video really doesn't do it justice. i'm really considering making the jump to the regal.

Looks good !!!

rich, i read the article...and i did notice they sell products on their website. there is no doubt any boat with a prop will have some danger if the driver hits someone in the water. i'm really not concerned after riding it the surfer is at any risk. the only issue i have is making a bigger investment in a hobby. @GTBRMC and yes...regal makes a really solid boat!

Regal does make a really nice boat. I really like the 2300 and 2500. I would put them in a category of Chaparral, Monterey, etc. That said, if you are looking to surf, none of these compare to a real ski boat as far as producing a surfable wake. If I go to a prop boat at some point, I am going with a Bryant. They have a great user forum and produce Cobalt quality boats that are more in line with Regal for pricing. Give them a look if you are thinking about switching from Yamaha.

The Yamaha Product Premiere is only a few days away. I would wait to see what they come out with.

Great vid clip! It's cool to read a review from somebody who has actually ridden on and behind the boat. I really like the Regals. Nice looking boats and great fit/finish.

i will be waiting for yamaha @Bruce ..... we'll see what they have to offer. to be able to switch on the fly between goofy and regular is really tempting. but keeping my 212x is still a option too.

How much do you think this boat will cost out the door?

Being able to switch on the fly is super cool. My buddy's Axis T22 does that. Very nice to be able to evenly weight the boat and switch sides with just the flip of a switch. Not having to be listed over makes for a much more comfortable ride/handling and a lot less time spent switching ballast.

@Julian Reasonably equipped with trailer about $70k

Thanks for the review @bobbie !

So... Here's my un(biased) review of this boat.

For months I've been receiving emails and texts with pictures of this new Forward drive system. All of the pictures, predictably, showed amazing surf waves and looked gorgeous! The keptic in me said "no way, these are all pics from sales reps and manufacturers tryong to sell me more product." I wanted to believe that the pics were all real and this wouldn't be the disappointment of the decade... But the skeptic in me held firm.

Flash "forward" to today when my Regal Rep was able to bring his demo 2100 Surf down. My expectations were pretty low and I figured we'd see a small wave that passed as surfable and call it a day, boy was I wrong.

The boat itself is very nice and has the usual for and finish that you'd expect out of Regal, most notably though is the new upholstery that really looks fantastic!

On to the drive... Because it hangs from the transom in a different manner it requires a custom trailer. The trailer looked great and fit the boat well, no disappointments there.

Once off the trailer I immediately noticed a difference in handling. The boat seemed more responsive and you could literally feel that the props were forward of where they normally are. It made the boat feel much more responsive around the dock.

Take off and high speed handling were largely the same with the only exception being tight cornering. The boat simply handles fantastically well in corners and turns sharper than any other sterndrive I've ever driven and is not far from turning like a Yamaha.

Once I got a feel for the boat it was time to setup the surf wave. It was incredibly easy and all it required was filling all of the ballast. There are three bags in this boat which consist of 250 lbs on each aft corner and one 500 lBs sack in the ski locker. Fill time was about 3 minutes.

With the ballast full we set the Zero Off speed control to 11mph and took off. Once the boat passes 3 mph there are two button that light up in the touch screen, one for surf left and one for surf right. Simply hit the side you want and the Trim tabs almost instantly deploy and the surf wave appears. We played with tons of different settings and found that the boat evenly weighted with speeds between 11 and 12 mph performed best.

Interestingly, the wave shape is lost my controlled by the trim of the outdrive. As you trim the drive up it pulls the back end of th boat down and creates a bigger wave.

The wave. While it was not the biggest wave I've ever seen (g25) it was very large and had loads of push. It was also very, very clean! I enjoyed surfing it with little effort and it was steep enough to pull entry of tricks on. I'd say the average to above average surfer would not tire of this wave and will have no complaints!!!

TL;DR: The 2100 or 2300 surf should really be on your short list to consider for a surf boat!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 45
@Ziess21 Only thing i would add to the review is the cool factor of the power tower. it would be amazing to be able to tuck the tower below the windshield during transport. also...i will second the handling of the boat. i was able to take the wheel for a bit and it really did corner like a yamaha. pulling the boat through the chop didn't result in any shake or rattle of the boat. very nice....

@SCSTWG Bryant boats aren't available anywhere local. closest dealer is in idaho. somehow i don't think i would get that "local dealer" appreciation!

I'm in the same boat as you Bobbie... Waiting to see what yamaha has in store for 2016, but very tempted to just pull the trigger on an axis and be done with it. Instead of slowly stepping up incrementally for wake surfing. But thanks for the review on the forward drive, was curious to see what they could do!

That looks great!!

That looks like a great wave. How does the interior seating compare to a 212 Yamaha?

My biggest concern with the forward drive would be finding someone capable of working on it. As with all new technology it takes a while for technicians to learn the product and get comfortable correcting issues. The other thing I just can't get over is how vulnerable the drive looks to submerged logs etc. I think I read somewhere of a breakaway part on the drive to keep from ruining the whole thing, but I would assume that would still leave you stranded in the water. Just my 2¢ worth.

@Volffas The forward drive mechanic issue isn't too much of a concern. i've got a reputable dealer that i'm sure will be on top of it. And i agree....any outdrive is exposed for damage. biggest decision is whether the cool factor of the boat justifies the added expense. after all.....32 minutes plus on my boat ropeless is no slack surf! the interior is very similair to my 212x with a bit more storage. i like the cushions are on gas struts so they stay open. it certainly looks more refined than the yamaha but i would expect that for the added money.

That looks like a great wave. How does the interior seating compare to a 212 Yamaha?

My biggest concern with the forward drive would be finding someone capable of working on it. As with all new technology it takes a while for technicians to learn the product and get comfortable correcting issues. The other thing I just can't get over is how vulnerable the drive looks to submerged logs etc. I think I read somewhere of a breakaway part on the drive to keep from ruining the whole thing, but I would assume that would still leave you stranded in the water. Just my 2¢ worth.

The mechanics of the drive really aren't that much different than the current DuoProp drives so that's not too much of an issue.

As for striking stuff and causing issues we really don't feel it is going to be too big of problem. The only thing that will really get you is a static obstacle in the water, i.e a rock, but that will get anyone besides a jet boat really.
There are thousands of forward facing IPS drives in use with very few reported incidents of severe damage from flotsam.

Back