• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rescue buoy or rescue bag recommendations

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many of the throwables mentioned (square seat cushions) are fine unless there is much wind. They have very little weight, are not very aerodynamic and wouldn't get very far before the wind takes them. Boating on the ocean I use a Coast Guard approved life ring attached to a 50' line. It will fly through the air similar to a frisbee.

Whenever I have new people on board I give a safety briefing during the 1 mile no wake zone to the open water. I show everybody where the life jackets are, invite anybody to put one on, throwables, flare gun, explain safety lanyard and radio use. I finish off on the lighter side by advising them if I go overboard to throw me a cold beer.

Last edited:

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually have my bolster flipped up and tuck the throwable between the bolster and seat back with the handle up so it is visible and easy to grab.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have either have one of the square ones or this one with me at the helm at all times.

Cal June GW20 20" White Ring Buoy with Straps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PGWZ9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dusvBbJYNBPKM

I have it under my leaning post (210 FSH) wedge behind the cooler.

The ring is much easier to throw. Good ideas above. The family and I should do some practicing throwing. Also some good practice for the kids to drive the boat to retrieve the ringing the swim deck.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you are boating in freezing cold water, jumping in will be the fastest, most efficient way to save someone. I'd spend time practicing water rescue instead of throwing floating devices. If someone is in danger you can't miss a throw. They might not be able to hold on if they are in bad shape. Don't waste time throwing things. We're not boating in Alaska storms.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless you are boating in freezing cold water, jumping in will be the fastest, most efficient way to save someone. ...(snip)
I would suggest that while what you say is totally true, it's also the fastest way to an even worse tragedy where there is another casualty.

I would caution you against throwing yourself to rescue someone that is any close to your own weight, or even half. Nothing can sink you faster than a drowning panicked person. Unless you have the right training, it can be surprisingly difficult to assist someone in the water. I think of it similar to electrocution. Best to help from a distance and approach once they are out of trouble, lest they take you along.

Rope, noodle, boogie board..anything can be used to reach someone in distress, and get them to a safe calmed situation where they are again in control, and preferably without opportunity to sink you along.

If they are unconscious you are probably too late, but jumping in may be the only way to assist.

Do no light yourself on file to warm others :)

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Unless you are boating in freezing cold water, jumping in will be the fastest, most efficient way to save someone. I'd spend time practicing water rescue instead of throwing floating devices. If someone is in danger you can't miss a throw. They might not be able to hold on if they are in bad shape. Don't waste time throwing things. We're not boating in Alaska storms.
If you are a lifeguard or have the training perhaps. In most cases that's not good advice. Just look at any number of news articles where the "rescuer" perishes.

Don't take my word for it. Virtually every organization says so. Here's one.
https://www.army.mil/article/51402/reach_throw_row_dont_go
What if...

Someone you were with fell out of a boat without their life jacket'

Would you know what to do'

You can follow these four basics steps to help: reach, throw, row and go.

1. REACH: Hold on to the dock or your boat and reach your hand, a boat oar, a fishing pole, or whatever you have nearby, to the person

2. THROW: If you can't reach far enough, toss things that float for the person to grab

3. ROW: If you're in a boat, use the oars to move the boat closer to the person in the water, or call out to a nearby boat for help. Don't use the boat's motor close to a person in the water, they could be injured by the propeller

4. DON'T GO: Don't go into the water unless you are trained. Call out for help

Remember, even a strong swimmer can drown trying to help others. If all else fails, go for help!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Having had rescue diver training a long time ago, back in the 80's, you never jump in to save a swimmer in distress. They are usually panicked and try to climb up on you, pushing you under. If you happen to be in the water with them, you are trained to recognize panic in their eyes, grab them from their backside,torso, swim with one arm while holding them on their back, with your other, you must be a pretty good swimmer. During that training I was wearing a wetsuit and B/C with 24#+ of buoyancy and fins. But they are usually flailing in panic and this will be difficult. I am not going to tell parent not to jump in after their child, every scenario is different, but now there are two people, for whoever is on board, to rescue. This is a section in ASA 103, a sailing course, there is a little more to it when you are under sail, but there is a motoring section too. Be safe, would hate to see another person with good intensions drown.
20180723_080350.jpg
20180723_080427.jpg
20180723_080455.jpg
20180723_080517.jpg
Safe Boating!

Edit: Here are the pages from ASA101, geared more towards sailors.
20180723_090321.jpg
20180723_090349.jpg
I guess my point is...nowhere does it say to jump in the water to save them.
And if you find the sailing info hard to swallow...here is a link to a powerboat MOB article
https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/october/Foundation-How-To-Prepare-For-A-Man-Overboard.asp

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't see the need other than to comply with the law. It's different in a high gunwhale boat where you can't really reach out and grab someone. Drive the boat to the person that needs help, and pull them onto the awesome swim step these boats have. If you have a silly boat like this, then you should have one tied to a rope.

View attachment 79524
I strongly disagree. Seconds count here, and it has nothing to do with how high your gunnels are, its a case of getting flotation to a drowning person ASAP. If you are anchored (which you typically are when people are out swimming) the time it would take you to pull the anchor, start the engines etc is plenty of time for the victim to go below the surface. You want to be able to throw them something that floats ASAP (IMMEDIATELY). This is not a dumb law we should all just roll our eyes at-there are plenty of those...this isn't one.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I strongly disagree. Seconds count here, and it has nothing to do with how high your gunnels are, its a case of getting flotation to a drowning person ASAP. If you are anchored (which you typically are when people are out swimming) the time it would take you to pull the anchor, start the engines etc is plenty of time for the victim to go below the surface. You want to be able to throw them something that floats ASAP (IMMEDIATELY). This is not a dumb law we should all just roll our eyes at-there are plenty of those...this isn't one.
Devil's advocate only because I hate to buy stuff I don't think I really need....

Throwing an orange pfd that counts as a wearable for folks on board ought to do the exact same thing as the crappy throwable I have. I think it actually has more boyancy and it's more visible.

I agree it makes sense to have something handy to throw, but from there to not complain about being mandated to carry the square throwable.... I'm just stubborn so it's difficult for me to do so. I'm trying. And it's my nature to complain about being forced by the government to do something... So I'm not sure I can handle just not complaining. Maybe your are thinking of a better person! :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Throwing an orange pfd that counts as a wearable for folks on board ought to do the exact same thing as the crappy throwable I have
I actually tested throwing the square throwable once....and you can get pretty good distance with it (it has decent weight-but not too much). I know I could throw it way further than I could throw any of my PFDs, and more accurately too. It throws best like a frisbee.

I also have a Lifeline throw bag, but must confess that I've never even opened it. I should probably open it up and ensure it isn't ziptied together!!! LOL So I'm covered from a line/rope perspective and know that the square throwable would throw much better without a line on it (the line would kill the frisbee effect)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was doing some research on tying a line to the PFD and found this (apparently from a USCG course someone took):

You should have 2 throwables. One with a line and one without. In case of an overboard event or someone in trouble, throw the untethered one first and try to get it near the victim, even if you can't see him. This gives the victim something to grab immediately if he comes up and also marks the spot so you can see where the victim is near. Also, the throwable will move at approximately the same speed as the victim in the wind and current. Because there is no line, you can get it farther.

Then maneuver to the victim. When you get close enough, toss the one with the line to haul in the victim.

That made sense to me.

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going forward, I am going to keep two throwables PDF by the helm, one with a line and one without, and I can use one as a seat cushion.

In retrospect, accessibility is key. In our situation we came off the beach under full power into a very choppy area, so no one was in position to open a hatch or go under the seat.
The other thing I would have done differently is had my family put their life vests on first. My kids (9,11 & 13) are in the habit of wearing them underway, but we were beached and had just finished lunch so all vests were off.

Awesome ideas, Thanks all!

SupetD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I keep a throwable under the small cushion at the front, it has 50 feet of polybraid (which floats) attached, never had to use it but like to be prepared just in case.

If the lake patrol stop you here the first thing they say is “everybody hold up a life jacket” if you have to open a compartment to get a life jacket you’re going to get a Big ticket!!! Law says life jackets must be immediately accessible at all times, and I agree!

Dthiss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Some good info here

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do you use to recover a person in the water AND where do you store it? Close call this weekend, we were beached up well inside a pass. A family was nearby and the dad jumped in and tried to swim across the pass. Well, the tide was going out the pass and the current was ripping! The wind was blowing into the pass creating chop that was stacking up, and it was very rough in the pass past the points. Within a few minutes he was swept out through the pass. I was watching this and threw the anchor in the boat, full throttle off the beach and through the no wake zone into the pass, then my 13 yo daughter threw a perfect pass with a life vest and we came around. The man was tired and in trouble, he was beat and it took him a while to get enough energy to climb the ladder. He said he tried to swim in but tired out quickly. He was.....to be polite, a very round man, not in good shape at all, and he reeked of EtOH! A recipe for disaster. This all happened so fast, and was so unexpected. I have a throwable orange square cushion but at the time I couldn't remember where it was. We didn't have time or think to tie a line to the life vest.

Now I want to get something I can grab in an emergency and put it in a place where it is freely accessible, unlike my throwable boat cushion which I later found buried at the bottom of the hold.
Missouri boating law says a throwable floatation device must be out and accessible. I wedge mine in between captain chair and wrap around seat.
Great job being aware and responding to this guy in stress.