• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse bucket linkage too short

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have been having an issue with this boat since it was new. Out of the gate I noticed that the starboard reverse gate is slightly higher up than the port gate. I asked the dealer several times to make the adjustments to get them in spec. I have been told each time that there is nothing they can do because there is no more threads on the linkage to lower the gate any more. My boat always wants to do a slow circle and it does make docking a little bit more difficult. Fixing the linkage issue would also allow me to lower my buckets a hair to help offset the slow creep I get while in neutral. I can't take it anymore and have thought about looking for a prop boat instead.

Does anyone know if there is some way to fix this. I am my wits end.

Thank you kindly!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have been having an issue with this boat since it was new. Out of the gate I noticed that the starboard reverse gate is slightly higher up than the port gate. I asked the dealer several times to make the adjustments to get them in spec. I have been told each time that there is nothing they can do because there is no more threads on the linkage to lower the gate any more. My boat always wants to do a slow circle and it does make docking a little bit more difficult. Fixing the linkage issue would also allow me to lower my buckets a hair to help offset the slow creep I get while in neutral. I can't take it anymore and have thought about looking for a prop boat instead.

Thank you kindly!
Photos would be very helpful. Close ups of the gate connector, and wide shot of both gates from directly astern.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
AE6C433E-2DF9-47B7-A95F-70BE20315B06.png
You can unscrew part number 4 if there are enough threads and it will give you more cable at the bucket end.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thank you. I will try to get some pictures later today. As far as the photo from @Brad_Ct I not really sure I know what I am looking at. I know it's the linkage but that's about it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Thank you kindly!
Instead of trying to lower the starboard, why don't you open up the port slightly? That would at least cut down on the slow circle. Because there's no true neutral, I don't think you'll figure out a way to offset the slow creep, even my boat has a slight fwd motion with the motors running and at the N detents.

Does your 2017 have the factory side thrusters?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. I will try to get some pictures later today. As far as the photo from @Brad_Ct I not really sure I know what I am looking at. I know it's the linkage but that's about it.
He's showing your the diagram of both ends of the cable. If you give more length on the throttle end, it frees up cable on the gate end. Very simple to do.....on a scale of 1-5 (5 being hard), this is a 1 (requires screwdriver, small wrench)

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Funny, my son said today to me, "why don't you raise the port gate a hair to fix the slow circling". I said, I never thought of that. I think that is a good idea. I will give it a try and also look at the linkage adjustment. Unfortunately, I have to wait to get the boat in the water. I am just trying to get a head start on things so that I am ready for the season. Thank you for all your input.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
The snow has melted and I am getting the boat ready for a season in Lake George, NY. I took some pictures of the bucket adjustment linkage and the buckets in the neutral position. The linkage with the most threads showing is the bucket linkage on the starboard side. The linkage with the lesser amount of threads showing is from the port bucket. The picture of the buckets in neutral is hard to see but the starboard bucket is almost a 1/4 higher. I can raise the port bucket but I am afraid it will contribute to even more forward creep. There must be a solution for getting the right bucket down a little more. Any suggestion is welcomed :)
Thanks
Right bucket higher and the most linkage tread showing

Attachments

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
FINALLY, got the buckets adjusted and nozzles aligned following everyone suggestions. It is the first time in 4 years that the steering wheel, rudder and nozzles are dead on. Thank you to all who responded to me in the past.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
FINALLY, got the buckets adjusted and nozzles aligned following everyone suggestions. It is the first time in 4 years that the steering wheel, rudder and nozzles are dead on. Thank you to all who responded to me in the past.
So you did this by adjusting the cable at the binnacle end? (throttle handle)

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Yes, I did take a little slack from the throttle end, not much. I used a straight edge across the nozzles, adjusted the rudder and wheel while the linkage was disconnected and then made adjustment to the tie rod, tightened everything and boom, after 4 years everything looked great!
Again, thanks