• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of Leaders Accessories cover

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After getting my boat back down to FL, I decided it was time for a new cover. My.old one had come with the boat and was definitely end of life. Not really having a firm plan for the boat, I wasn't ready to invest in a 600 to 700 dollar oem cover yet and found this. I also ended up finding out my existing cover was not oem, and was some kinda random one, so i felt ok starting with another cheapie as that one lasted me 4ish years.

First things first, these are a hundred bucks on amazon. So they're not like, sunbrella material or anything. It's a coated woven nylonish type material and it fits surprisingly well. Like all these, it's not waterproof, if you get a puddle, it's gonna leak through. But if it gets water on it, it does sheet off. Pools of water are the enemy with this thing.

Overall, im.pretty happy with it. It fits my sx240 pretty well, I think a 240 might be a bit tight, but probably would fit. It has loops on the cover to strap it down for trailering or storms, and it comes with webbed latches loops to strap it down. I was able to strap it down in all but the location by the fenders I may add some.loops to the fender tops or sides, but a bungee or ratchet or longer strap.would work here too. Unfortunately on my boat that's the location of the big pooling area for the pooling rod that I don't have, so I will need to fix that.

The material does seem a bit thin, so I will definitely need to do the pool noodle mod for my windshield. But overall, for 100 bucks, I'm satisfied if it lasts a year.

I’ve had good luck with cheap covers from bass pro for a 16’ boat I have. They are allegedly trailerable but I would not try that.

I got about 4 years out of my last one & even then it just ripped on the windshield, it wasn’t disintegrating or anything. If you’re storing full time out in the sun they make more sense than burning up a $1000 Yamaha mooring cover every 5 years.

After getting my boat back down to FL, I decided it was time for a new cover. My.old one had come with the boat and was definitely end of life. Not really having a firm plan for the boat, I wasn't ready to invest in a 600 to 700 dollar oem cover yet and found this. I also ended up finding out my existing cover was not oem, and was some kinda random one, so i felt ok starting with another cheapie as that one lasted me 4ish years.

First things first, these are a hundred bucks on amazon. So they're not like, sunbrella material or anything. It's a coated woven nylonish type material and it fits surprisingly well. Like all these, it's not waterproof, if you get a puddle, it's gonna leak through. But if it gets water on it, it does sheet off. Pools of water are the enemy with this thing.

Overall, im.pretty happy with it. It fits my sx240 pretty well, I think a 240 might be a bit tight, but probably would fit. It has loops on the cover to strap it down for trailering or storms, and it comes with webbed latches loops to strap it down. I was able to strap it down in all but the location by the fenders I may add some.loops to the fender tops or sides, but a bungee or ratchet or longer strap.would work here too. Unfortunately on my boat that's the location of the big pooling area for the pooling rod that I don't have, so I will need to fix that.

The material does seem a bit thin, so I will definitely need to do the pool noodle mod for my windshield. But overall, for 100 bucks, I'm satisfied if it lasts a year.

Pics?

Did you try anything like Scotchbrite or 303 waterproofing spray on the old one? I dunno if it would stop or lessen the pooling issue (go with some beach ball boobs under the cover to help with that), but if there's a chance it would work, that would be an awesome and affordable combo.

My old.cover had some ripping in the back, so I didn't really try anything to keep it up. I did give thought to spraying 303 or similar on it, and probably will try it. It's obviously a pretty large area to cover, but there may be a better way to.do it. Maybe a 303 bath? Lol, I dunno.

I'm planning to do the beach balls.up front and either a large ball in back or a pole.

Photos and links?

It's obviously a pretty large area to cover, but there may be a better way to.do it. Maybe a 303 bath? Lol, I dunno.

Someone here tipped me off DO NOT do it on your grass. I did it right in the road since nobody other than neighbors really use our launch, but you could do it in the driveway. What I did is pick up a cheap sprayer, like you'd use for spraying RoundUp for weeds. Then get a gallon of the 303 protectant - it won't go bad as long as you keep it from freezing, and the gallon size at this link is priced where you'll spend less, essentially getting one free 32oz bottle buying it by the gallon.

Fill the sprayer with 303, pump it up to pressurize it, and soak your cover. If there were some way to get the cover to smoosh down into a bucket, I would bet that soaking it in the 303 would be better for it, but I think you'd end up with more of a mess and hassle than it'd be worth. I know I do my wiper blade inserts like that (a bath of 303), but that's a lot smaller, and there's still a bit of a mess that comes with that.

I'm pretty sure it'd fit into a 5 gallon bucket. I was thinking of going the sprayer route though.

I wonder if having 303 on bithnsides would be an issue, I don't thinkn303 really soaks in, it's more of a top coating, could be wrong though.

I didn't take any pictures of it, but a link to it is below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087Q6KGQM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So, had it a few weeks now, and plenty of sun and rain, cuz Florida.

First off, this thing is seriously waterproof. Much more so than I expected for how thin it is. It made a nice big set of pools of water before adding any anti pooling to it. With the beach balls up front it sheets water really well, I used an "upgraded" anti pooling rod in the back.. that's probably not going to work and last though. It's a pain in the ass to set up with its flimsy plastic bottom. Probably will get a giant beach ball or other inflatable for that.

Overall, I'm really satisfied. I towed it from the storage yard to the house with it on a couple times without issue (admittedly, this is only a couple.miles and sub 45mph), but if you're looking for a good cover for 100 bucks. I can't complain about it. Oh and the mesh bag it comes with for storage is a nice touch, let's it dry off some. Still haven't done anything for the side straps, thinking I'll do some stainless loops drilled into the fenders to create a nice loop hole.

Leaders RPM sold me a cover on Ebay, I waited 12 weeks, finally contacting them a 3rd time and they refunded my money. Don't list something for sale if you don't have it to ship. The cover was on national backorder when I bought it. They said its backordered indefinitely. This was all back in April.

That sucks. I had mine in like 2 days off amazon. I didn't feel great about buying it from Amazon, but sadly that's one of thebfew places that has everything and you can overall expect to actually receive it.

We've bought from Leaders multiple times with no issues but we always buy direct from their site. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Back