• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of the all New 2016 Yamaha 242X E-Series Wake Sports jet boat

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What about in the ski locker? And if you have the ballast bag in there filled, then put them on the tower board racks? (but under the starboard forward seat extending into the helm storage would probably work too.
I am hoping that I can build/buy the type of shelf that we've done for my kids HS locker. Thin legs on the outside that would allow the ballast to be full & have a pair of skis or two on top, that don't touch the ballast bag.
This is all hypothesis now, until we can do some experimentation.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen or anyone else who owns the 242X.....couple questions:

1) How does the Stereo Sound? I had a fairly stout system in my AR240 and it sounded great even at WOT....just wondering if it's lacking anywhere like bass or clarity. Also, can the Soundbar face the front of the boat if I wanted?

2) How Bitchy is it to remove the Bimini...just thinking for storage.

I'm sure I'll have more as I'm like a kid on Xmas night waiting for this to come in!!!

Thank You!!
Mike

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

1) How does the Stereo Sound? I had a fairly stout system in my AR240 and it sounded great even at WOT....just wondering if it's lacking anywhere like bass or clarity. Also, can the Soundbar face the front of the boat if I wanted?

I'm sure I'll have more as I'm like a kid on Xmas night waiting for this to come in!!!

Thank You!!
Mike
Stereo is out of the world. We were floating a week or so back and I went to the stern and I heard detail in very familiar music, that I had never heard before. Pretty amazing! At WOT, it is booming backwards (design) and can no doubt hear it well from the helm and forward.
Being on the 50-ish side (vice 20-ish) of things, I know we spend a lot more time chilling, than WOT, so this is very impressive for our use-case.

In the next few days I'll take a look to see if the sound bar can be turned forward. I took the bimini down, and the tower speakers off for Winter storage, which is a 15 minutes, no tool operation, but need to see if they can be turned forward. My gut says yes as they are well thought out standard attachments, but let me try first-

Removing the bimini is really simple. The first time will take 15-20 minutes but once you see the logical system of the straps, it is 10 minutes, tops! I leave it on when trailering at 5o mph (boat speed) and will take it off when trailering at highway speeds +. Bottom-line, once familiar, very simple and intuitive.

Storage: The canopy stands at 11 feet 1 inch, fully set up, on the trailer. I did break it down (cover off and folding at the 2 pivot points; easy!) to see if it would make it into my garage, and the answer in December was, not close, but I don't remember the height. I will do it again and give you a number as I don't remember the height now. It is tall and will not make it into standard garages.

Godspeed,
Glen
m/v Radiant Hope

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen - Thanks for the info! I've looked at your pics 100 times already as I await the arrival of mine! Could I ask you for a big favor....Could you measure the 242X on the Side? I'm actually going to peel the graphics and going to have my Graphics Buddy Duplicate the 242X.....I love the look of the boat, but i really love the all black Hull...hopefully I don't ruin it!

Thank you!
Mike

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I test drove it the only complaint I had with the stereo was that the captains and copilots seats didn't have discreet speakers at their location. I would consider putting in some 6.5" speakers in the forward cockpit. The sound bar did flip forward, but it was a prototype boat and they did say the sound bar was being discussed.....might move its location and might not be able to move it. Bass was good!

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian - Thats good to hear the Bass was good! I'm not an 18Yr old kid but i do love the Bass!!

Thanks for chiming in!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen - Thanks for the info! I've looked at your pics 100 times already as I await the arrival of mine! Could I ask you for a big favor....Could you measure the 242X on the Side? I'm actually going to peel the graphics and going to have my Graphics Buddy Duplicate the 242X.....I love the look of the boat, but i really love the all black Hull...hopefully I don't ruin it!

Thank you!
Mike
I am not sure what you mean by measure the side.
Water line to rub rail? Keel to rub rail? Length and height of the sides?

I may be joining you on the removing the graphics. Have only taken her out 4 times and it seams that I scrape away some of the decal, every time.
What do you mean duplicate? (My guess: have the decals duplicated so that when you peal them off, and if you don't like it with them off, you can use the duplicated ones to replace. That it?)

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry if I was unclear..... I am looking for a measurement of just the "242X". My plan is to peel everything and have my graphic guy print just the 242x....that's why I was looking for that measurement of the 242X logo.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got it.
That I can do.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Glen! If you remove anytime soon please shoot me a pic. I have the dealership taking mine off as soon as it arrives.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry if I was unclear..... I am looking for a measurement of just the "242X". My plan is to peel everything and have my graphic guy print just the 242x....that's why I was looking for that measurement of the 242X logo.
The "242X" is 29 3/8 inches long and 5 inches high-

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes,...what Julian said.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have my boat yet but I would think you could store them in the ski locker and when the bag is in use they could go on the rack. Could there be a fear of the ballast bag getting damaged?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have my boat yet but I would think you could store them in the ski locker and when the bag is in use they could go on the rack. Could there be a fear of the ballast bag getting damaged?
Yes, I'd be concerned that the fins on the ski or skiis would/could damage the ballast bag in the ski locker. @Glen any thoughts on this?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, I'd be concerned that the fins on the ski or skiis would/could damage the ballast bag in the ski locker. @Glen any thoughts on this?
over the years I have built a few shelves in my kids HS lockers. Basically thin coated metal on the outside that allow them to store books below, and on top. I am hoping (clearly have not executed yet, as I have yet to fill the ballast) that I can do the same and potentially store a set of ski (or other) safely on top of the inflated central bag.
I am finding that with the 4 cushions available for the bow, there is not much room for other things int he forward lockers. I need to get 2-3 family days underway before I find the configuration that works for us.
The X is definitely a trade off between storage and wake. We choose this option when my bride said that a porta potty was no longer a reqt for the port cabin :).
I'll share our solution once we have done a sea trial or 3-

But yes, fins and ballast bag (and sea chop) has me concerned. But if skiis are in a bag... need a few days underway to have confidence in my answers. All theory (and suspect) until then-

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Thank You!!
Mike
Have not attempted yet, but looks like easy loosening of the screws on the speaker bar, would allow them to face forward.IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Perfect! Just what I was hoping for. Thanks Glen!

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
over the years I have built a few shelves in my kids HS lockers. Basically thin coated metal on the outside that allow them to store books below, and on top. I am hoping (clearly have not executed yet, as I have yet to fill the ballast) that I can do the same and potentially store a set of ski (or other) safely on top of the inflated central bag.
I am finding that with the 4 cushions available for the bow, there is not much room for other things int he forward lockers. I need to get 2-3 family days underway before I find the configuration that works for us.
The X is definitely a trade off between storage and wake. We choose this option when my bride said that a porta potty was no longer a reqt for the port cabin :).
I'll share our solution once we have done a sea trial or 3-

But yes, fins and ballast bag (and sea chop) has me concerned. But if skiis are in a bag... need a few days underway to have confidence in my answers. All theory (and suspect) until then-
Regarding the Bow Filler Cushions....I don't know if I'm alone here, but in the couple years I've had my AR240 I never once installed these. I'm thinking on just removing these as soon as I get the X. How many actually use them?