• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of the all New 2016 Yamaha 242X E-Series Wake Sports jet boat

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All that built in ballast really takes away from the storage that we are so accustomed to. Watching the video showing where the amps were showed the batteries and the wall protecting the ballast bag and that compartment was full. I've never poked around on a boat with ballast bags built in so seeing it is new to me.
Storage was the linchpin issue for us as well, between the X and LS.
Ultimately, we decided that with the bow, port cubby, .5 starboard stern locker and stern wet lockers, we could carry what we needed for a day trip.
And therefore the addition of the ballast (= loss of storage), we a net plus (for us).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Storage was the linchpin issue for us as well, between the X and LS.
Ultimately, we decided that with the bow, port cubby, .5 starboard stern locker and stern wet lockers, we could carry what we needed for a day trip.
And therefore the addition of the ballast (= loss of storage), we a net plus (for us).
Excited to see someone with an X!!! @Glen How about some photos or do you not have possession yet or has she been put to bed for the winter?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Excited to see someone with an X!!! @Glen How about some photos or do you not have possession yet or has she been put to bed for the winter?
Hey @Julian. She's in he driveway and not been put to bed yet. I'll get some photos taken and posted.
I assume that photos of the ballast locations and bimini would be useful, as they are new in '16. What else do folks want to see?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen I was curious to see if they ended up putting in walls in the rear storage lockers to wall off the ballast - on the Beta boat they weren't sure if the walls would remain.

I'll also be curious of your opinion on the Stereo. When I was driving it, I felt that the drivers and passenger seats could use their own speakers....

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yiiipppeee! An 242x!! Pics!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations @Glen, is there a place to stow a pair of 6' skis under the seats?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1246.JPG Now that she's out from the winter wrap (used the shipping cover for Winter coverage), thought I'd finally post a bunch of pictures.
Start with the Top.
Biggest reason we never had a tower in past (232 L) was because of the small shade.
It is sturdy. Feels like you could have a squad of Marines doing pull-ups from it.
Pulled the cloth off for the Winter. Takes 10 minutes, by myself, to get it on and off.
Took the speakers down as well. 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1249.JPG Captain' s and Admiral's seats.
Nice storage, power & audio for Admiral.
Not sure how we are going to use the space on the Port side of the Admiral's seat. Vertical cooler or garbage can, I think.
Have only taken it out twice (in December in VA), but the seats were great!
Controls feel awesome.
Have yet to get the bluetooth stereo to sync with iPhone, but did not try hard. We had audio cord, so used it.

Last edited:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1215.JPG Last (for now) are the 2 rear 'storage' (bladders, batteries, cooler, stereo,...) areas, and the engine compartment (3 bladder pumps).

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glen, thanks for all the pictures. We are going to want to see pictures of your family on it real soon!
Moderators, can you guys make these pictures full size?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
FullSizeRender 7.jpg IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2227.JPG Heading out with some fishing buddies next weekend so installing some dual purpose cup and rod holders front and back, sometime between then and now.
Bought 30 degree rounds for the bow (will drain into anchor locker), and 15 degree ovals for the stern (will drain into rear wet locker). Chose the 15 degree for the stern, as the fiberglass is already sloping down some.
Will share some photo's, once done. Need to find a 3 1/4 inch round cutting bit....

Last edited:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glen, thanks for all the pictures. We are going to want to see pictures of your family on it real soon!
Moderators, can you guys make these pictures full size?
When I click on them, they get full size. Does that not happen for you? (I'm using Chrome).
I can repost if the resolution is not up to snuff-

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I click on them, they get full size. Does that not happen for you? (I'm using Chrome).
I can repost if the resolution is not up to snuff-
They were just added as thumbnails with the option to open them full as opposed to embedding them full. It is easy enough to change....

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations @Glen, is there a place to stow a pair of 6' skis under the seats?
I will need to get aboard with a tape measure and possibly get underway with all ballast bags full before I will be sure where I will carry skis. I have a few ideas, but need to see how much space is available once the ballast bags are full.

Of course a consideration will be the wake board tower racks, maybe with a pool noodle or something to hold them in.

Let me try a few options in the next week or 2 and I'll share my observations.

I will be carrying skis too-

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They were just added as thumbnails with the option to open them full as opposed to embedding them full. It is easy enough to change....
Noted Julian. Thank you. Believe when making the first change, I impatiently hit the button 1 or 2 times too many, and now I think there are repetitive pics...but such is the way of the blog learning curve.

Live (large) and learn!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Noted Julian. Thank you. Believe when making the first change, I impatiently hit the button 1 or 2 times too many, and now I think there are repetitive pics...but such is the way of the blog learning curve.

Live (large) and learn!
HA, HA-
Figured out (I think) how to remove the repetitive pics. Much less painful :).
Godspeed-

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Nice looking boat there @Glen, now enough with that... Let's talk about that sand volleyball court in your back yard! Looks like you are having fun in all directions.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice looking boat there @Glen, now enough with that... Let's talk about that sand volleyball court in your back yard! Looks like you are having fun in all directions.
Funny you mention it. My middle daughter has been playing competitive indoor VBall for a few years but has just been paired up with a very competitive sand VBall girl in our town. Thankfully, her father is a contractor so the recreational court in the back yard is going to be 'professionalized' (kinda) over the next few weeks. He's taking care of the labor, and we take care of the materials (win-win). Know a cheap place to get 100 tons of beach sand delivered, in VA? ;-)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Glen, I went to the boat show and looked at a 242X. The only place I could see possibly stowing the skis is under the front starboard seat. Thanks for remembering to look into that for me.
My wife kept talking about how nice the hinged seats were. I was impressed with the quality of the seat material. I love the black and white and gray.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen, I went to the boat show and looked at a 242X. The only place I could see possibly stowing the skis is under the front starboard seat. Thanks for remembering to look into that for me.
My wife kept talking about how nice the hinged seats were. I was impressed with the quality of the seat material. I love the black and white and gray.
What about in the ski locker? And if you have the ballast bag in there filled, then put them on the tower board racks? (but under the starboard forward seat extending into the helm storage would probably work too.