• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of the all New 2016 Yamaha 242X E-Series Wake Sports jet boat

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah.....the exposure setting on my camera got pressed and messed up a few shots before I noticed it was high. I hope to have more people join me next year so I could focus (pardon the pun) on taking photos and videos vs playing with the boat....wait...I mean....bring a camera man along so I can play more!!! :)
Would love to be there next year!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like the center ballast is in the floor in front of the ski locker.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
+2. Looked like it was in front of middle storage...

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the X have a fresh water shower? Did they improve on the stern wet locker storage piano hinges?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see the diagram, but curious if it takes over the storage locker or just the front of it.
I believe it it be the front portion of the ski storage locker. I believe all of the bags are using space that was previously available for storage.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All that built in ballast really takes away from the storage that we are so accustomed to. Watching the video showing where the amps were showed the batteries and the wall protecting the ballast bag and that compartment was full. I've never poked around on a boat with ballast bags built in so seeing it is new to me.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boat looks awesome! But still not totally impressed by the surf wave, and at that price I'd still be looking at the Axis boats. But I big HELL YA to you guys for doing the video and write up! And also to yamaha for adding some pretty awesome features for the water sports guys! Definetly made some big improvements thats for sure! A lot more than I was expecting to see that's for sure! If you want water sports and still looking at jet boats this is the one for you!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok.....awesome info and pictures guys. Great reviews and detailed explanations....as good as the professional reviewers....only better really because it was done by people who know and appreciate jet boats. That being said....I actually breathed a little sigh of relief. There is nothing there that makes me regret the purchase of my 2015. Lol. Since we are not much into wake boarding activities, some of these improvements don't hold much value for me. The drive by wire and engine sync are long overdue. The current throttle system is completely unacceptable. Next generation Connext without GPS? Really? I would love to have seen more horsepower...possibly even some new engines. The 1.8's have remained unchanged for quite some time...little long in the tooth. And call me crazy....I want/need a larger fuel tank! I'm tired of filling up every other day.

All that said, looks like Yamaha is still keeping up the heat on the competition....and that's good to see!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree that the 1.8's need to be phased out. Maybe 2017 is the year for new power plants, graphics and minimal enhancements.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree that the 1.8's need to be phased out. Maybe 2017 is the year for new power plants, graphics and minimal enhancements.
...and bring back a more affordable 21' boat!

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just went through the pics and video from my Yamaha app. Larger Bimini was definitely needed, but not sure the current design was the answer. That thing is not attractive. Also, how many of us ever sat around and said "boy, this boat could really use some solar panels"? Seems like a bizarre addition....especially when you consider that quality solar panels that could really extend battery life "up to 30 %" would be very expensive. Seems like that money could be better spent else where. My guess is that those claims are exaggerated. Yamaha scored some hits, but definitely some misses as well.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkgdmd - While I agree with much of your sentiment. . . . . There are a bunch of us that have installed Solar panels (me included).

https://jetboaters.net/threads/solar-panel-mounting-project.6933/

For folks without ready access to shore power, or those who trailer and top off the batteries via trickle charger, OR With the nice new 1000 watt stereo cranking out tunes all day it is definitely a nice feature to have.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just watched the video. Never heard Yamaha pronounced that way before LOL! Maybe it's a southern thing.