• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review of the all New 2016 Yamaha 242X E-Series Wake Sports jet boat

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
...how many of us ever sat around and said "boy, this boat could really use some solar panels"? Seems like a bizarre addition....especially when you consider that quality solar panels that could really extend battery life "up to 30 %" would be very expensive...
I suspect dealers were complaining about the amount of batteries they were having to eat the cost of because people don't trickle charge. This is a quick fix and improves overall customer happiness if it means they don't have a dead battery in six months.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just watched the video. Never heard Yamaha pronounced that way before LOL! Maybe it's a southern thing.
I think it's @Julian 's UK accent not a Southern thing.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkgdmd - While I agree with much of your sentiment. . . . . There are a bunch of us that have installed Solar panels (me included).

https://jetboaters.net/threads/solar-panel-mounting-project.6933/

For folks without ready access to shore power, or those who trailer and top off the batteries via trickle charger, OR With the nice new 1000 watt stereo cranking out tunes all day it is definitely a nice feature to have.
I really like the idea of panels for trickle charging...especially when I store my boat for months on end. I just don't think they'll be any match for that 1000 watt amp!

Last edited:

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I feel like the reviews have not been overly positive about the new boats.

I like the new boats (aside from the E-Series bimini) and I think the electronic throttle is huge. We cant feel the new upholstery but I bet it is great. I think it will take a visit to these boats in person to really get a feel for the changes that are made.

It's great they added bags and built in pumps with control at the connext screen. I'm sure many who want wake sports will find this as a nice addition. While you pay a premium for this, at least you dont have to have it installed and worry about paying for any issues that arise from it. It's all under warranty. Plus come on, there are built in pumps.... thats awesome!

I am curious why they didnt mount the amps in the helm closet, but I would bet it had to do with the manufacturing process. Maybe at the time the hull is differentiated in the process, it's not efficient to mount the amps there. 1000 watt stereo and that wet sounds bar is definitely a cool addition. Sure you lost some storage, but you would anyway if you added this stuff after the fact anyway. (the amps are on the wall = minimum space consumed)

I would love to take a ride on a new one! As for the lack of changes on the other models, I am glad they painted the bottom of the 242 limited s. Im not a fan of the white bottom, so for $500 to have the bottom painted it seems like a good deal to me.

Do you think the 212 boats would lose their appeal if they added the keel to them? Those boats seem to be geared towards fun and maneuverability. If you add the keel, it reduces the spin factor. Maybe Yamaha assumes you could add fins if you want to help with tracking at slow speeds?

Overall I saw bravo to mother Yamaha and keep the innovations coming!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Awesome...like the fighter cockpit compared to out 2005 AR230. Electronic throttles, push button starts, the touch screen and ballast system....DROOL....

Awesome Job Julian!

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is the hull specs the same as the 2015? Same as my 2012? Dead rise,freeboard etc?
No mention of any changes in trailer design? Torsion axles?
How much of an up charge for galvanized?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I foresee a mod that will add more ballast bags and tap into the existing system.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am glad they painted the bottom of the 242 limited s. Im not a fan of the white bottom, so for $500 to have the bottom painted it seems like a good deal to me.
Funny, I'm EXACTLY of the opposite opinion....I HATE boats with a dark lower hull....shows every scratch and every water mark. White is much more durable.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, white is much better and forgiving and easier color to repair for hull bottom.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the hull specs the same as the 2015? Same as my 2012? Dead rise,freeboard etc?
No mention of any changes in trailer design? Torsion axles?
How much of an up charge for galvanized?
The 2015 and 2016 have a new hull design that has about 6" more freeboard than the 2010 to 2014s.

I do not believe that Julian saw it on a trailer. A premium trailer would be a nice upgrade.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This boat has some impressive features. I absolutely love the electronic throttles, and being able to change from single throttle to twin throttle control is amazing. Launch control, rider profiles, sound system - awesome. I do not like that Bimini.
But $72k - that is shocking. Some Dedicated wake boats like A Ski Supreme v226 or a Moomba Mojo or an Axis can be had for $65k-ish. Shit - the local Malibu dealer just sold a leftover 14' 22MXZ WakeSetter for $75k just a couple of weeks ago.
For $72k - now they're reaching into different territories.
And I'm also very surprised they didn't incorporate some sort of wake shaping device or surf tabs. If you're gonna go play in the inboard wake boat market, then tabs and wedges and surf gates are required.
Best deal is still the AR240. You can add the triple ballast, Perfect Pass and stereo and still have a pocket full of cash.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best deal is still the AR240. You can add the triple ballast, Perfect Pass and stereo and still have a pocket full of cash.
My sentiments EXACTLY. . . . Some cool stuff but no way it's worth the $24K upgrade IMHO.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Funny, I'm EXACTLY of the opposite opinion....I HATE boats with a dark lower hull....shows every scratch and every water mark. White is much more durable.
That's interesting because I dont get any scratches below the water line. All of my scratches are on the sides, and I'm well versed in them as I spend 5 hours a year buffing them out.

As far as water marks, black wont turn yellow like white does..... to each their own I guess.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's interesting because I dont get any scratches below the water line. All of my scratches are on the sides, and I'm well versed in them as I spend 5 hours a year buffing them out.

As far as water marks, black wont turn yellow like white does..... to each their own I guess.
I love the black. . . . I think it attracts less build up too. . . . at least where I boat.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the price point is too high for a boat without the wake boat features. They are trying to sell this as an alternative to a full fledged wake boat. I paid $68,000 for my Axis A24 with all the options including a 450 LS3 engine. Granted, it was the dealer demo with 70 hours, but that is still cheaper than this price point and we know how Yamaha is on wiggle room when purchasing brand new.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length