• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rope recommendation

McMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you guys use for rope? Both for tying up, locking through, towing tubes, etc. I have crappy ropes. They twist and are basically crap. They constantly get stuck on the pin when locking through and I can't just pull it through. Also, is there a good rope caddy or a good way to store them ready for use? I'll probably place an order this week based off of your recommendations.

Thanks guys,
Mark

For my dock lines I usually buy 20 ft high quality braided lines in the color of my boat...in my case black. West Marine has a good selection, but they are not cheap. I have tried other braided lines that were less money, but they did not hold up as well. For a tow rope, use a quality braided polypropylene like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHTR-60-Rider-Tube-Rope/dp/B000LDXRQA

Here's the 1/2 inch braided lines I purchased at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...raid-nylon-dock-lines-1-2-diameter--P05528617

For anchor lines I use 1/2 inch three strand nylon.

As @rkgdmd suggests: get good quality lines - don't try to save a nickel here

Reasons? Beyond the obvious breakage / security concern... I have found cheap lines that are other than "natural" color or white can leach dye into your boat... and stain carpets and/or vinyl.

As @rkgdmd suggests: get good quality lines - don't try to save a nickel here

Reasons? Beyond the obvious breakage / security concern... I have found cheap lines that are other than "natural" color or white can leach dye into your boat... and stain carpets and/or vinyl.
Bought all my lines at Overtons or BassPro and never had any issues with them at all. No tangling and no colors leaching onto anything, and I have blue and black lines.

Bought all my lines at Overtons or BassPro and never had any issues with them at all. No tangling and no colors leaching onto anything, and I have blue and black lines.

I once bought a cheap dock line from Gander Mountain (who also owns Overtons) that leached blue dye onto one of my vinyl seats. I was not able to completely get it out - although I am likely the only one person who notices it.
Most of my lines came from Gander, but most were better quality - the one that burned me was significantly cheaper and not the brand I normally find in my local GM store. My experience, FWIW, anyway.

I bought two from Bass Pro, two from Wal Mart and have one Yamaha branded rope. All float, all do not leak dye and all have survived any treatment I throw at them, I just rinse them in a bucket of fresh water every now and then.

The Walmart ones are the ones that twist to hell and back for me.

For towing tubes I like a longer one to keep the tube out of the jet wash, 60 feet minimum. Most tow ropes are 50'. Thickness depending how big of a tube your going to pull.

I have a couple of stretch and slide dock lines that are great. I didn't give any thought to my other dock lines and do nothing special to keep them from twisting or getting knots. I just use them and throw them in under front bow seat.

I've also had the same tube rope since I bought the boat in 2008. Nothing special there either.

I found a local company for my lines and they customize them with a name or whatever. They are more expensive bit good quality rope and they have different sizes and lengths to choose from. I was sick of tying up with others and not getting my lines back. If that's what you want check out myrope.com.

Last edited:
I use Shoreline docklines off Amazon. I also keep things tidy with Velcro One Wrap. It can be cut to any length and I've found plenty of uses for it on the boat, on the jobsite and around the home. I rarely put the bimini back in the boot unless the boat will be sitting outside for a while. Instead, I wrap it with a few pieces of One Wrap - what a time saver! I keep the docklines and fenders in 2 "packages" - 1 for each side of the boat. 1 package gets used for tying up to the dock, both packages get used when rafting up and boats are on both sides of me. Painted red ends identify my docklines.
IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4713.jpg IMG_4716.jpg IMG_4717.JPG

Nice. I have some Velcro wrap. I like the red end idea. We're always scrambling for ends it seems.

These are my dock lines. There are many like them, but these are mine.

I buy double braid pre spliced dock lines, usually split it between 3/8" x 15' and1/2" x 20'. I stack them and they are easily accessed and you know what you are grabbing by the thickness. Do not buy the double braid that are sewn ends with webbing, they are OK for fender lines but not great for dock. I also buy double braid anchor line as well. For the dock lines I try ton stay away from white as they get to show their age pretty quick however black or blue look better longer. Annual maintenance is to machine wash them at the end of the year on a gentle cycle, I have a front load, and hang them to dry. Then I soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with a cap ful of fabric softner for about a day, then hang them to dry again. This keeps them very soft and highly flexible. For storage I wrap and knot them, I will have to get a photo of that for you, I do not like velcro any where near my double braid as it will snag the fibers and pull them loose. Velcro is fine for poly rope for your towables etc or twisted rope but not braided. You have a boat, knots are your best friend so learn some is exactly how I was taught.

Back