• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Running Surface at Plane

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm planning to wax our new AR195 this weekend. I don't won't to slow the boat down so I need to know how large the pad is where the boat runs at plane so I don't get wax there. I know this will vary at different loads. Has anyone searched through pictures to determine how far the pad extends forward or to the sides at say 30 mph. Thanks

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is about the best I can get you from my photo archive. This was taken at ~18-20mph or so.

1588956902111.png

screen grab from this video

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks @2kwik4u . I had looked at several videos but none in smooth water. The wetted surface extends a lot more forward than I would have thought. I picked up a couple of mph. top end, when I cleaned the mold residue (wax) from some of the bottom but I didn't go that close to the bow. My wife would probably get upset if I dulled the surface with scotch brite pads or 1200 grit paper that far forward.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how much of a speed decrease we talking about here?

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
how much of a speed decrease we talking about here?
Not sure. I don't have reliable data one way or the other. Boat wax will cause high surface tension between the surface and water. They make some spray on expensive stuff to reduce the tension but I'm not going down that road. In sail boating you could gain 10% in speed by dulling the surface with a scotch brite pad. But that's apples and oranges here. Designing a tight fitting cover for the bimini that started at the front edge of tower would probably increase top end more. I just like to know I'm getting the most out of the boat and maybe save a little $$$ in fuel along the way. I could probably save more money by hording gasoline. I do have an empty above ground pool out back.;)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the speed loss at what these boats can achieve is going to be negledgable. I always wax my bottom. It makes it easy to wipe clean. :oops: If there was any speed loss, I couldn't notice it. She would still do 49-50 wide open until the day I sold her.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 practically in our recreational boating case, I concur.

This has been batted around the forum for years with no real substantive conclusions.

I personally would not scuff up a perfectly good gel coat for a debatable performance increase but would use the theoretical justification as an excuse not to any work on that half of the boat! ...for #$@ sake there is enough area on my boat that can use the attention my hull is not getting! (...cracking open a beer at this moment)

Last edited:

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not trying to start a debate here but when I waxed mine, I thought I actually gained a mph or 2. Plus, the bottom has some protection on it. ;)

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I personally would not scuff up a perfectly good gel coat for a debatable performance increase but would use the theoretical justification as an excuse not to any work on that half of the boat! ...for #$@ sake there is enough area on my boat that can use the attention my bottom is not getting! (...cracking open a beer at this moment)
You may have hit the nail on the head. I'm kinda lazy and trying to find an excuse not to get under the boat on my back. ( " on my second beer already, you need to keep up") 🍺🍺

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....a scuffed hull is supposedly better...but it's probably a tiny impact. Found this explanation online:

Professional boat racers prepare the bottoms of their hulls by lightly scuffing the surface at a 45 degree angle to the keel. Its difficult to explain why (i'll give it my best chance here), but waxing the bottom will actually create more friction that a lightly scuffed surface. Your example of a freshly waxed car is a good example. The water does bead from the surface with minimal effort...but have you noticed how a dull, faded car will actually hold a sheet of water on the surface and not let it roll off? When you have that surface of water sticking to the bottom the hull, the water passing underneath the hull can actually do so easier because water-to-water friction is less than water-to-hull friction no matter how smooth or well waxed the bottom is. I dont have back-to-back proof (like gps data) but I figure if its good enough for the teams that spend major dollars to go boat racing, its good enough for me:) I have heard its a 1-2 MPH on a full size boat. I do wax the topsides for easy cleanup after a trip to the lake though.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll spend less time underneath now ;)

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello there. My hobby in the 1980’s -90’s was building and racing radio control boats out of wood then fiberglassing. Waxing the hull underneath made the hull stick to the water decreasing your speed, planing, and turning. I always took some 600 wet sand paper and sanded the bottom of my boat hulls.
Then I tried some “Rain X” windshield water repellent on the bottom of where I had been wet sanding and it was like ball bearings, wouldn’t stick to water and slide out in the turns having to change out my turn fins. I still have my boats from back then. It’s a great hobby.
Disclaimer: this procedure worked on radio control boats less than 42 inches long and weighing less than 15 pounds.