• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Second day LS 2000 took a crap! HELP!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Came in under minimum power on one engine. Been setting 4 hours now neither will start.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t really tell on the pic, but that doesn’t seem too high to me. You’ll have to compare that spot to where the air intakes are. Check the oil. If water is in there, you might want to try @4x15mph ’s advice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Walk through the engines not starting FAQ. Perhaps with all the going in and out of your clean out hatch, the kill switches there are mis-aligned? Obviously no need to check the oil as these are 2 cycle engines. But you do need to make sure your oil lines are secure and your oil reservoir is full.

Then you will want to look into getting rebuild kits for your clean out plugs. They need to seat cleanly and evenly EVERY TIME.

See this thread for insight into seating those plugs: https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-to-me-boat-having-issues-please-help.22951/post-388303

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can’t really tell on the pic, but that doesn’t seem too high to me. You’ll have to compare that spot to where the air intakes are. Check the oil. If water is in there, you might want to try @4x15mph ’s advice.
They’re two stroke...

I’d pull the kill switch lanyard, then pull the spark plugs and turn the engines over. See if any water spits out.

As far as getting the clean out plugs to seat — get a block of wood and a five pound hammer. Tap on the top of the T handle (somewhat gently)

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Sorry, literally first day with the boat. Could you kindly show me where the air intake is? Previous owner just informed me he had the same thing happen to him and water night was the same. Got the plugs back in and the clip things. Both motors fired right up.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry, literally first day with the boat. Could you kindly show me where the air intake is? Previous owner just informed me he had the same thing happen to him and water night was the same. Got the plugs back in and the clip things. Both motors fired right up.
This is the air box. Air intake is on the bottom of it. No filter just a screen. Probably a good idea to take the cover off and clean the screen, who know if it’s ever been done :)
19357C48-1982-49BD-AAAD-838AA5C4696E.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also, my bilge pump couldn't keep up obviously there was 4 or 5 inches of water in my engine compartment. But it only seemed to leak water into it while I was running it. Kill the motors and I could scoop it out with a large bottle.
Was the water warm or cold? "Cold" water indicates direct leak into hull somewhere possibly cleanout plug tubes, force of water off the impellers. "Warm" water indicates leak in cooling system.

Edit: Sounds like you have it figured out.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the plugs back in and the clip things. Both motors fired right up.
Awesome!

Hey, Administrators, I think we need a "Dodged A Bullet" icon w/positive rating! lol

--

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Woah woah woah, it's not back on the water yet. Will be in 20 min. Drum roll please?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a FYI @Sgtcolemannathen. The cleanout plugs perform two functions. They give us access to the impeller and intake tunnel/grate from inside the boat incase we ingest foreign material. Their more important function is they direct high pressure water out the rear nozzles to generate thrust. When you initially lost your thrust the plug partially blew (dislodged) which redirected some, or much of the water up the black tube and into the engine compartment via the bilge. Even if your bilge pump did work it wouldn't be able to keep up with the water volume the impeller is capable of producing. In a slightly worse scenario where the plug blowout was more severe you could have potentially destroyed both engines.

You may want to consider addressing the plug and bilge pump problems before your next trip. It's always more fun being on a boat that works.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Update, I put 2 stroke oil that I had all around the blow out plug and they both seated. I also have the lock spring things. The motor dries out in today's heat and is screaming. 1st day owning this boat and I made the right decision. Love doing donuts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update, I put 2 stroke oil that I had all around the blow out plug and they both seated. I also have the lock spring things. The motor dries out in today's heat and is screaming. 1st day owning this boat and I made the right decision. Love doing donuts.
I'd still consider rebuilding those plugs.....it is super easy.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear. Don't forget that when you are done using the boat and pull it out of the water, fire up the engines revving throttles to about 4K to blow out the excess water from the exhaust/water boxes. You want to do this every time you are done for the day.

Great boat and I am having sellers remorse now that I sold mine yesterday!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's another vote to rebuild the plugs, They go in instantaneously when they are the right size. If you need to use them while underway, far from shore, needing to return, you will be happy they go in smoothly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you think there is more crud and you need something more aggressive than the scotch brite pad, , I like steel wool. It's a "legacy" product, but its' very powerful, and they have them in multiple grades of aggressiveness.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I scrubbed the inside with scotch brite pads. It helped a ton.
This is a great and inexpensive way to maintain the plug seals in working condition, courtesy of @MidnightRider

I also use 303 Aeroprotectant for regular cleaning but this stuff is cheaper and pretty awesome to slobber it all around the plug.

--